Generation Y Attitudes Towards E-ethics and Internet-related Misbehaviours
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Aberrant consumer behaviour costs firms millions of pounds a year, and the Internet has provided young techno-literate consumers with a new medium to exploit businesses. This paper addresses Internet related ethics and describes the ways in which young consumers misdemean on the Internet and their attitudes towards these. Using a sample of 219 generation Y consumers, the study identified 24 aberrant behaviours which grouped into five factors; illegal, questionable activities, hacking related, human Internet trade and downloading. Those perceived as least wrong were; "Downloading movie and music files from the Internet for free". The consequences of these behaviours have implications for educators, consumer policy and marketers.
- Albers-Miller, N. D.: 1999, 'Consumer Misbehaviour: Why People buy Illicit Goods', Journal of Consumer Marketing 16(3), 273–287.
- Al-Khatib, J. A., S. J. Vitell and M. Y. A. Rawwas: 1997, 'Consumer Ethics: A Cross-cultural Investiga-tion', European Journal of Marketing 31(11/12), 750–767.
- Bainbridge, J.: 1999, 'Keeping up with Generation Y', Marketing, Feb 18, 37–3.
- Calder, B. J., L. W. Philips and A. Tyhout: 1981, 'Designing Research for Application', Journal of Con-sumer Research 8 (September), 197–207.
- Cravatta, M.: 1997, 'Online Adolescents', American Demographics, August, p. 29.
- Forester, T. and P. Morrison: 1994, Computer Ethics: Cautionary Tales and Ethical Dilemmas in Computing (MIT Press, Cambridge, MA).
- Fullerton, S., K. B. Kerch and H. R. Dodge: 1996, 'Consumer Ethics: An Assessment of Individual Behaviour in the Market Place', Journal of Business Ethics 15, 805–814.
- Fullerton, S., D. Taylor and B. C. Gosh: 1997, 'A Cross-cultural Examination of Attitudes Towards Aberrant Consumer Behaviour in the Marketplace: Some Pre-liminary Results from the USA, New Zealand and Singapore', Marketing Intelligence and Planning 15(5), 208–212.
- Heckman, J.: 1999, 'Today's Game is Keep-way', Mar-keting News, July 5, 1–3.
- Herbig, P., W. Koehler and K. Day: 1993, 'Marketing to the Baby Bust Generation', Journal of Consumer Mar-keting 10(1), 4–9.
- Johnston, K. and P. Johal: 1999, 'The Internet as a 'Virtual Cultural Region': Are Extant Cultural Classification Schemes Appropriate?', Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy 9(3), 178–186.
- Kiesler, C. A., B. E. Collins and N. Miller: 1969, Attitude Change: A Critical Analysis of Theoretical Approaches (John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York).
- Kent, R. and M. Lee: 1999, 'Using the Internet for Market Research: A study of private trading on the Internet', Journal of the Market Research Society 41(4), 377–385.
- Malhotra, N. K. and G. L. Miller: 1998, 'An Integrated Model for Ethical Decisions in Marketing Research', Journal of Business Ethics 17, 263–280.
- Marshall, K. P.: 1999, 'Has Technology Introduced New Ethical Problems?', Journal of Business Ethics 19, 81–90.
- Ogburn, W. F.: 1964, On Culture and Social Change (Chicago University Press, Chicago and London).
- Rallapalli, K. C., S. J. Vitell, F. A. Wiebe and J. H. Branes: 1994, 'Consumer Ethical Beleifs and Person-ality Traits: An Exploratory Analysis', Journal of Business Ethics 13, 487–495.
- Saatchi and Saatchi: 1999, 'Landmark Study Discovers Connexity Kids', Saatchi and Saatchi Press Release, Jan 29.
- Schewe, C. D. and S. M. Noble: 2000, 'Market Seg-mentation by Cohorts: The Value and Validity of cohorts in American and Abroad', Journal of Marketing Management 16, 129–142.
- Sherif, M. and C. W. Sherif: 1967, 'Attitude as the Individual's Own Categories: The Social Judgement-Involvement Approach to Attitude and Atti-tude Change', in M. Sherif and C. W. Sherif (eds.), Attitude, Ego Involvement and Change (John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York), pp. 105–139.
- Strauss, W. and N. Howe: 1997, The Fourth Turning, Broadway Books, New York.
- Teenage Research Unlimited: 1998, 'Teenage marketing and Lifestyle Study', Press Release.
- Vitell, S. J. and J. A. Muncy: 1992, 'Consumer Ethics: An Investigation of the Ethical Beliefs of the Final Consumer', Journal of Business Ethics 24(4), 297–311.
- Walker, Smith and Clurman: 1998, Rocking the Ages: The Yankelovich Report on Generational Marketing (Harper-business, New York).
- Wilkes, R. E.: 1978, 'Fraudulent Behaviour by con-sumers', Journal of Marketing, October 67–75.
- Generation Y Attitudes Towards E-ethics and Internet-related Misbehaviours
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 54, Issue 2 , pp 121-128
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Generation Y
- Industry Sectors