Comparing EthicalIdeologies AcrossCultures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Using measures developed by Singhapakdi et al. (1996, Journal of Business ethics 15, 1131–1140) the perceived importance of ethics and social responsibility (PRESOR) is measured among MBA students in the United States, Malaysia and Ukraine revealing a stockholder view and two stakeholder views. Relativism and Idealism are also measured. The scores of MBA students are compared among each other and with those of the U.S. managers who were part of the original study. Managers' scores tend to be significantly higher on the Stockholder and Stakeholder II views, and much lower on Relativism than the MBA students. The Malaysian MBA students scored higher than did the American MBA students on Relativism, Idealism and the Stockholder view. The Ukrainian MBA students' scores on the three PRESOR factors are generally similar to those of the American MBAs, while they had the highest scores of any group on the Relativism scale. Overall, the patterns of responses, as much as the significant differences on specific scales, support the notion that culture, however defined, affects both values and ethics. Several directions for future research are identified.'
- Abdullah, A. (1992) Understanding the Malaysian Workforce: Guidelines for Managers. Malaysian Institute of Man-agement, Kuala Lumpur
- Ahmed, M. M., Chung, K. Y., Eichenseher, J. W. (2003) Business Students' Perceptions of Ethics and Moral Judgment: A Cross-Cultural Study'. Journal of Business Ethics 43: pp. 89-102
- Argandon~; a, A.: 1998, 'The Stakeholder Theory and the Common Good', Journal of Business Ethics 17, 1093–1102.
- Batten, J.: 1999, 'Factors Affecting Ethical Management: Comparing a Developed and a Developing Economy', Journal of Business Ethics 19, 51–59.
- Blodgett, J. G., Lu, L-C., Rose, G. M., Vitell, S. J. (2001) Ethical Sensitivity to Stakeholder Interests'. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 29: pp. 190-202
- Brandt, R. Ethical Relativism'. In: Moser, P. L., Carson, T. L. eds. (2001) Moral Relativism. University Press, Oxford
- Carroll, A. B. (1996) Friedman's Theory of Corporate Responsibility'. Business and Professional Ethics Journal. Southwestern Publishing Co., Cincinnati, pp. 3-32
- Carson, T. L. and P. L. Moser: 2001, 'Introduction', in P.L. Moser and T. L. Carson (eds.), Moral Relativism: A Reader (Oxford University Press).
- Dolecheck, M. M. and C. C. Dolecheck: 1987, 'Business Ethics: A Comparison of Attitudes in Hong Kong and the United States', The Hong Kong Manager, 28–43.
- Donaldson, T., Preston, L. E. (1995) The Stakeholder Theory of the Corporation: Concepts, Evidence, and Implications. Academy of Management Review 20: pp. 43-65
- England, G. W. (1975) The Manager and His Values: An International Perspective. Ballinger Publishing Com-pany, Cambridge
- Etheredge, J. M. (1999) The Perceived Role of Ethics and Social Responsibility: An Alternative Scale Structure'. Journal of Business Ethics 18: pp. 51-64
- Forsyth, D. R. (1980) A Taxonomy of Ethical Ideolo-gies'. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 39: pp. 175-184
- Forsyth, D. R. (1992) Judging the Mortality of Business Practices: The Influence of Personal Moral Philoso-phies'. Journal of Business Ethics 11: pp. 461-470
- Fuxman, L. (1997) Ethical Dilemmas of Doing Business in Post-Soviet Ukraine'. Journal of Business Ethics 16: pp. 1273-1282
- Goodwin, J. (1999) Ethical Judgments Across Cultures: A Comparison between Business Students from Malaysia and New Zealand'. Journal of Business Ethics 18: pp. 267-281
- Hofstede, G. (1984) Culture's Consequences: International Differences in Work-Related Values. Sage Publications, Beverly Hills/London/New Delhi
- Keppel, G., Jenkins, J. J. (1973) Design and Analysis: A Researcher's Handbook, Prentice-Hall Series in Experimental Psychology. Prentice-Hall, NJ
- Kluckholm, C. The study of culture. In: Lerner, D., Lasswell, H. D. eds. (1951) The Policy Sciences. Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA
- Kraft, K. L., Jauch, L. R. (1992) The Organizational Effectiveness Menu: A Device for Stakeholder Assessment. Mid-American Journal of Business 7–1: pp. 18-23
- Laczniak, G. R., Naor, J. (1985) Global Ethics: Wrestling with the Corporate Conscience'. Business 35: pp. 3-10
- Lu, L.-C., Rose, G. M., Blodgett, J. G. (1999) The Effects of Cultural Dimensions on the Ethical Decision Making in Marketing: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Business Ethics 18: pp. 91-105
- Monga, M.: n.d., 'Ethics and Ethical Ideologies: An Empirical Study of Managers in North Indian Large Manufacturing Enterprises', Working Paper, (School of International Business, University of South Australia). Retrieved 12/17/03 from http://220.127.116.11/ research/aapae/Monga.pdf.
- Prasad, J. N. and C. P. Rao: 1982, 'Foreign Payoffs and International Business Ethics: Revisited', Southern Marketing Association Proceedings, 260–264.
- Preston, L. E., Sapienza, H. J. (1990) Stakeholder Management and Corporate Performance'. The Journal of Behavioral Economics 19: pp. 361-376
- Rashid, Z. A., Ho, J. A. (2003) Perceptions of Busi-ness Ethics in a Multicultural Community: The Case of Malaysia'. Journal of Business Ethics 43: pp. 75-87
- Shulman, S. (1999) The Cultural Foundations of Ukrainian National Identity'. Ethnic and Racial Studies 22: pp. 1011-1037
- Siegel, J. B. (1973) Machiavellianism, MBAs and Man-agers: Leadership Correlates and Socialization Effects'. Academy of Management Journal 16: pp. 404-411
- Singhapakdi, A., Kraft, K. L., Vitell, S. J., Ra-llapalli, K. C. (1995) The Perceived Importance of Ethics and Social Responsibility on Organizational Effectiveness: A Survey of Marketers'. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 23: pp. 49-56
- Singhapakdi, A. and S. J. Vitell: 1994, 'Ethical Ideologies of Future Marketers: The Relative Influences of Machiavellianism and Gender', Journal of Marketing Education Spring, 34–42.
- Singhapakdi, A., Vitell, S. J., Rallapalli, K. C., Kraft, K. L. (1996) The Perceived Role of Ethics and Social Responsibility: A Scale Development'. Journal of Business Ethics 15: pp. 1131-1140
- Trevino, L. K., Nelson, K. A. (1999) Managing Business Ethics – Straight Talk About How To Do It Right. John Wiley & Sons, USA
- Velasquez, M. (1996) Why Ethics Matters: A Defense of Ethics in Business Organizations'. Business Ethics Quarterly 6: pp. 201-222
- Vitell, S., Rallapalli, K., Singhapakdi, A. (1993) Marketing Norms: The Influences of Personal Moral Philosophies and Organizational Ethical Culture'. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 21: pp. 331-337
- Vitell, S., Nwachukwu, S. L., Barnes, J. H. (1993) The Effects of Culture on Ethical Decision Making: An Application of Hofstede's Typology. Journal of Business Ethics 12: pp. 753-760
- von Zon, H. (2001) Ethnic Conflict and Conflict Res-olution in the Ukraine'. Perspectives on European Politics and Society 2: pp. 221-241
- Wilson, A. (2000) The Ukrainians: Unexpected Nation. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT
- Comparing EthicalIdeologies AcrossCultures
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 54, Issue 2 , pp 103-119
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- United States
- Industry Sectors