Sensory integration intervention: Historical concepts, treatment strategies and clinical experiences in three patients with succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase (SSADH) deficiency
- S. V. Kratz
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper is a review of clinical experiences providing developmental therapy services for three boys diagnosed with paediatric neurotransmitter disease. The clinical presentation of paediatric neurotransmitter diseases might parallel other diagnostic characteristics seen in a typical paediatric therapy clinic (i.e. hypotonia, motor and cognitive delays, coordination, expressive speech, and ocular motor difficulties.) From the clinical perspective of the author, sensory integrative function is but one aspect of a thorough evaluation and treatment plan for all patients. The manifestations of sensory integration dysfunction (SID), also known as sensory processing dysfunction (SPD), can occur alone or be concurrent with a variety of known medical, behavioural and neurological diagnoses. These manifestations of SPD can include, but are not limited to: hypotonia, hyperactivity, irritability, distractibility, attention difficulties, learning difficulties, clumsiness and incoordination, instability, poor motor skills, social-emotional difficulties, and behavioural problems. This paper summarizes the theory and practice applications of sensory integration. The author discusses clinical experiences providing occupational therapy services utilizing sensory integration methods and strategies with clients who were eventually diagnosed with SSADH deficiency.
- American Occupational Therapy Association (2008) The Guide to Occupational Therapy Practice, 2nd edn. Occupational Therapy Practice Framework Practice Guidelines – Complete Set. Bethesda, MD: American Occupational Therapy Association.
- Ayres AJ (1972) Sensory Integration and Learning Disorders. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Ayres AJ (1989) Sensory Integration and Praxis Tests. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Ayres AJ (2004) Sensory Integration and the Child: Understanding Hidden Sensory Challenges. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Publishers.
- Baranek GT (2002) Efficacy of sensory and motor interventions for children with autism. J Autism Dev Disord 32: 397–422. doi:10.1023/A:1020541906063. CrossRef
- Bumin G, Kayihan H (2001) Effectiveness of two different sensory-integration programmes for children with spastic diplegic cerebral palsy. Disabil Rehabil 23(9): 394–399. doi:10.1080/09638280010008843. CrossRef
- Bundy AC (2002) Play theory and sensory integration. In: Bundy AC, Lane SJ, Fisher AG, Murray EA, eds. Sensory Integration: Theory and Practice. Philadelphia: FA Davis Company.
- Daems J, ed. (1994) Reviews of Research in Sensory Integration. Torrance, CA: Sensory Integration International.
- Fisher AG, Murray EA (2002) Introduction to sensory integration theory. In: Bundy AC, Lane SJ, Fisher AG, Murry EA, eds. Sensory Integration: Theory and Practice. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 3–24.
- Franklin L, Deitz J, Jirikowic T, Astley S (2008) Children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: problem behaviors and sensory processing. Am J Occup Ther 62(3): 265–273.
- Hanson E, Kalish LA, Bunce E, et al (2007) Use of complementary and alternative medicine among children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. J Autism Dev Disord 37(4): 628–636. CrossRef
- Miller LJ, Reisman JE, McIntosh DN, Simon J (2001) An ecological model of sensory modulation: performance of children with fragile X syndrome, autism, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, and sensory modulation dysfunction. In: Roley SS, Blanche EI, Schaarf RC, eds. Understanding the Nature of Sensory Integration with Diverse Populations. San Antonio, TX: Therapy Skill Builders, 57–88.
- Mulligan S (2003a) Examining the evidence for occupational therapy using a sensory integration framework with children: part one. Sensory Integration Special Interest Section Quarterly 26(1): 1–4.
- Mulligan S (2003b) Examining the evidence for occupational therapy using a sensory integration framework with children: part two. Sensory Integration Special Interest Section Quarterly 26(2): 1–5.
- Ottenbacher KJ (2002) Research in sensory integration: empirical perceptions and progress. In: Bundy AC, et al, eds. Sensory Integration: Theory and Practice. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 387–397.
- Parham LD, Mailloux Z (2001) Sensory integration. In: Case Smith J, ed. Occupational Therapy for Children. 4th edn. St Louis, MO: Mosby, 329–381.
- Parham LD, Cohn ES, Spitzer S, et al (2007) Fidelity in sensory integration intervention research. Am J Occup Ther 61: 216–227.
- Pfeiffer B, Kinnealey M (2008) Autistic mannerisms reduced by sensory treatment. ScienceDaily 27 April 2008. <http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080425102403.htm>.
- Schaaf RC, Miller LJ (2005) Occupational therapy using a sensory integrative approach for children with developmental disabilities. Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 11(2): 143–148. doi:10.1002/mrdd.20067. CrossRef
- Schneider ML, Moore CF, Gajewski L, et al (2007) Sensory processing disorder in a nonhuman primate model: Evidence for occupational therapy practice. Am J Occup Ther 61: 247–253.
- Schneider ML, Moore CF, DeJesus OT, Converse AK (2008) Prenatal stress influences on neurobehavior, stress reactivity, and dopaminergic function in rhesus macaques. In: Burbacher T, Sachett GP, Grant KS, eds. Primate Models of Children's Health and Developmental Disabilities. New York: Elsevier, Inc., 213–258.
- Smith Roley S, Blanche EI, Schaaf RC (2001) Understanding the Nature of Sensory Integration with Diverse Populations. San Antonio, TX, USA: Therapy Skill Builders.
- Uyanik M, Bumin G, Kayihan H (2003) Comparison of different therapy approaches in children with Down syndrome. Pediatr Int 45(1): 68–73. doi:10.1046/j.1442-200X.2003.01670.x. CrossRef
- Vargas S, Camilli G (1999) A meta-analysis of research on sensory integration treatment. Am J Occup Ther 53(2): 189–198.
- Sensory integration intervention: Historical concepts, treatment strategies and clinical experiences in three patients with succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase (SSADH) deficiency
Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease
Volume 32, Issue 3 , pp 353-360
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- S. V. Kratz (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Special Therapies, Inc., W238N1690 Rockwood Drive, #500, Waukesha, WI, 53188, USA