Breast feeding in organic acidaemias
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Breast feeding has been recommended for the dietary treatment of infants with organic acidaemias, but studies documenting clinical experience are still very few. Nine infants, diagnosed with methylmalonic acidaemia (n = 4), propionic acidaemia (n = 1), isovaleric acidaemia (n = 2) and glutaric acidaemia type I (n = 2) were breast fed after diagnosis. The age of the patients was 28.9± 13.4 months (mean ± SD) (range 10–57 months). Eight patients were diagnosed with clinical symptoms and one because of an affected sibling. After the control of acute metabolic problems, an initial period with a measured volume of expressed breast milk was continued with on-demand breast feeding with the addition of a special essential amino acid mixture and energy supplements. Breast feeding was well tolerated in seven infants with good growth, metabolic control and neurological outcome. The duration of breast feeding was 12.3± 7.4 months (mean ± SD) (range 4–24 months) in these patients. Breast feeding was terminated in the patient with propionic acidaemia because of two acute metabolic episodes requiring hospitalization, and could not be continued in one of the patients with isovaleric acidaemia owing to shortage of breast milk. A decrease in the frequency of infections, acute metabolic episodes and hospital admissions was observed in breast-fed infants. Breast feeding of infants with organic acidaemias is feasible with close monitoring of clinical parameters such as growth, development and biochemistry, including amino acids, organic acids and ammonia.
- Demirkol, M, Hüner, G, Kuru, N, Dünmez, S, Baykal, T, Seçkin, Y (2001) Feasibility of breast feeding in inborn errors of metabolism: experience in phenylketonuria. Ann Nutr Metab 45: pp. 497-498
- Dixon M (2000) Breast feeding in metabolic disease: how successful is this? Dietitians' Meeting VIII ICIEM Meeting, Cambridge, Abstract book.
- Hüner, G, Demirkol, M Breast feeding and phenylketonuria. In: Demirkol, M, Shin, YS eds. (1996) Diagnosis and Treatment of Inborn Errors of Metabolism: Contributions to an Equal Opportunity for Children in Asia and Europe. Ufuk Press, Istanbul, pp. 101-117
- Hüner, G, Baykal, T, Demir, F, Demirkol, M (2005) Breast feeding experience in inborn errors of metabolism other than phenylketonuria. J Inherit Metab Dis 28: pp. 457-465 CrossRef
- Leonard J, van Wyk K (2002) Breast feeding in IEOM other than PKU. 34th EMG Meeting Zurich, Publication of Workshop results,6–8.
- McCabe, L, Ernst, AE, Neifert, MR (1989) The management of breast feeding among infants with phenylketonuria. J Inherit Metab Dis 12: pp. 467-474 CrossRef
- White F (2000) Breast feeding in inherited metabolic disorders. Dietitians' Meeting VIII ICIEM Meeting, Cambridge, Abstractbook.
- Breast feeding in organic acidaemias
Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease
Volume 29, Issue 2-3 , pp 304-310
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors