Micro/Nanofluidic Device for Single-Cell-Based Assay
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper we have proposed and demonstrated a microfluidic device for a fast and parallel single-cell based assay. The proposed device is designed to passively capture single-cells or beads on multiple cell-positioning sites by a pre-defined fluidic stream and inject specific reagents or drugs onto each isolated single-cell. The device consists of surface-modified silicon channels capped with a grooved polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) cover layer. A cell capture experiment has been performed using polystyrene beads as well as CHO DG44 living cells, and successful positioning of a single-cell on the cell-positioning sites was achieved. Also, we have demonstrated independent drug injection into a specific target cell.
- P. Aebischer, H.J. Buhlmann, M. Dutoit, L. Giovangrandi, and S.A. Makohliso, “A biomimetic materials approach towards the development of a neural cell-based biosensor,”in Proc. of the 18th Annu. Int. Conf. of the IEEE Eng. in Med. and Biol. Soc., edited by IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology (IEEE, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1996), p. 81.
- C.D.T. Bratten, P.H. cobbold, and J.M. Cooper, Anal. Chem. 70, 1164 (1998).
- A. Daridon, W. Throndset, I. Liau, K. Farrell, F. Tseng, S. Javadi, and I. Manger, in Proc. of the Micro TAS Symposium (micro TAS’02), edited by Y. Baba, S. Shoji, and A.V.D. Berg (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Nara, Japan, 2002), p. 31.
- K. Handique, D.T. Burke, C.H. Mastrangelo, and M.A. Burns, Anal. Chem. 72, 4100 (2000).
- Y. Huang, N. Chen, J. Bominski, and B. Rubinsky, in Proceedings of IEEE The Sixteenth Annual International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems 2003 (MEMS’03) (IEEE, Kyoto, Japan, 2003), p. 403.
- Y. Jimbo, H.P.C. Robinson, and A. Kawana, IEEE Trans. on Biomed. Eng. 40, 804 (1993).
- S.N. Krylov and N.J. Dovichi, Electrophoresis 21, 767 (2000).
- N. Manaresi, A. Romani, G. Medoro, L. Altomare, A. Leonardi, M. Tartagni, and R. Guerrieri, in Proceedings of IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference 2003 (ISSCC 2003) (IEEE, San Francisco, USA, 2003), p. 1.
- M. Ozkan, M. Wang, C. Ozkan, R. Flynn, A. Birkbeck, and S. Esener, Biomedical Microdevices 5, 61 (2003).
- U. Srinivasan, M.R. Houston, R.T. Howe, and R. Maboudian, IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 7, 252 (1998).
- H. Thielecke, T. Stieglitz, H. Beutel, T. Matthies, H.H. Ruf, and J.-U. Meyer, IEEE Eng. Med. And Biol. 18, 48 (1999).
- W. Tong and E.S. Yeung, J. of Chromatography B 689, 321 (1997).
- J.-H. Tsai and L. Lin, in Technical Digest of the 11th International Conference on Solid-State Sensors and Actuators (Transducers’01) (IEEE, Munich, Germany, 2001), p. 966.
- A.R. Wheeler, A.M. Leach, and R.N. Zare, in Proc. of the Micro TAS Symposium (micro TAS’02), edited by Y. Baba, S. Shoji, and A.V.D. Berg (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Nara, Japan, 2002), p. 802.
- Micro/Nanofluidic Device for Single-Cell-Based Assay
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 35-40
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- single-cell analysis
- cell capture
- drug screening
- surface modification
- Industry Sectors