Rational Krylov for eigenvalue computation and model order reduction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A rational Krylov algorithm for eigenvalue computation and model order reduction is described. It is shown how to implement it as a modified shift-and-invert spectral transformation Arnoldi decomposition. It is shown how to do deflation, locking converged eigenvalues and purging irrelevant approximations. Computing reduced order models of linear dynamical systems by moment matching of the transfer function is considered.
Results are reported from one illustrative toy example and one practical example, a linear descriptor system from a computational fluid dynamics application.
AMS subject classification (2000)
- Z. Bai, J. Demmel, J. Dongarra, A. Ruhe, and H. van der Vorst, eds., Templates for the Solution of Algebraic Eigenvalue Problems: A Practical Guide, SIAM, Philadelphia, 2000.
- D. Bindel, J. Demmel, W. Kahan, and O. Marques, On computing Givens rotations reliably and efficiently, ACM Trans. Math. Softw., 28 (2002), pp. 206–238. CrossRef
- K. Gallivan, E. Grimme, and P. V. Dooren, A rational Lanczos algorithm for model reduction, Numer. Algorithms, 12 (1995), pp. 33–63. CrossRef
- G. H. Golub and C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Maryland, 3rd edn., 1996.
- Oberwolfach model reduction benchmark collection, http://www.imtek.uni-freiburg.de/simulation/benchmark/.
- K. H. A. Olsson and A. Ruhe, Rational Krylov for model order reduction and eigenvalue computation, technical report TRITA-NA-0520, NADA, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, 2005.
- A. Ruhe, An algorithm for numerical determination of the structure of a general matrix, BIT, 10 (1970), pp. 196–216. CrossRef
- A. Ruhe, Eigenvalue algorithms with several factorizations – a unified theory yet?, technical report 1998:11, Department of Mathematics, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden, 1998.
- A. Ruhe, Rational Krylov, a practical algorithm for large sparse nonsymmetric matrix pencils, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 19 (1998), pp. 1535–1551. CrossRef
- D. C. Sorensen, Implicit application of polynomial filters in a k -step Arnoldi method, SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl., 13 (1992), pp. 357–385. CrossRef
- G. W. Stewart, A Krylov–Schur algorithm for large eigenproblems, SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl., 23 (2001), pp. 601–614. CrossRef
- Rational Krylov for eigenvalue computation and model order reduction
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 46, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 99-111
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- eigenvalue computation
- moment matching
- Krylov sequence
- Industry Sectors