Can Evolution Explain Insanity?
- D. MurphyAffiliated withDivision of Humanities and Social Sciences, California Institution of Technology Email author
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
I distinguish three evolutionary explanations of mental illness: first, breakdowns in evolved computational systems; second, evolved systems performing their evolutionary function in a novel environment; third, evolved personality structures. I concentrate on the second and third explanations, as these are distinctive of an evolutionary psychopathology, with progressively less credulity in the light of the empirical evidence. General morals are drawn for evolutionary psychiatry.
KeywordsAdaptation Depression Evolutionary psychology Phobia Psychopathy
- Can Evolution Explain Insanity?
Biology and Philosophy
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 745-766
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Evolutionary psychology
- D. Murphy (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Humanities and Social Sciences, California Institution of Technology, 228-77, 91125, Pasadena, CA, USA