Water stress induced changes in the leaf lipid composition of four grapevine genotypes with different drought tolerance
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To dissect differences in both lipid accumulation and composition and the role of these modifications during drought stress, four grapevine cultivars exhibiting differential tolerance to drought were subjected to water shortage. Tolerant cultivars, Kahli Kerkennah and Cardinal, exhibited higher leaf water potential (Ψw), and lower lipid peroxidation compared to the sensitive cultivars Guelb Sardouk and Superior Seedless during stress. Total lipid amounts increased during stress only in the leaves of the tolerant cultivars. Drought induced increases in the ratios digalactosyldiacylglycerol/monogalactosyldiacylglycerol and phosphatidylcholine/phoshatidylethanolamine of almost all the drought stressed cultivars. Moreover, the overall analysis of the composition of fatty acids revealed that a linolenic acid was prevalent in grapevine and the unsaturation level of lipids increased under water stress in all the cultivars. Specific adjustments in the lipid composition during stress could compromise stress tolerance.
- Bligh, E.G., Dyer, W.J.: A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification.-Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 37: 911–917, 1959.
- Choné, X., Van Leeuwen, C., Dubourdieu, D., Gaudillere, J.P.: Stem water potential is a sensitive indicator of grapevine water status.-Ann. Bot. 87: 477–483, 2001. CrossRef
- El Kahoui, S., Smaoui, A., Zarrouk, M., Ghriri, R., Limam, F.: Salt-induced lipid changes in Catharanthus roseus cultured cell suspensions.-Phytochemistry 65: 1911–1917, 2004. CrossRef
- Fazeli, F., Ghorbanli, M., Niknam, V.: Effect of drought on biomass, protein content, lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in two sesame cultivars.-Biol. Plant. 51: 98–103, 2007. CrossRef
- Gigon, A., Matos, A., Laffray, D., Zuily-Fodil, Y., Pham-Thi, A.: Effect of drought stress on lipid metabolism in the leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana (ecotype Columbia).-Ann. Bot. 94: 345–351, 2004. CrossRef
- Grzesiak, M.T., Grzesiak, S., Skoczowski, A.: Changes of leaf water potential and gas exchange during and after drought in triticale and maize genotypes differing in drought tolerance.-Photosynthetica 44: 561–568, 2006. CrossRef
- Koca, H., Ozdemir, F., Turkan, I.: Effect of salt stress on lipid peroxidation and superoxide dismutase and peroxidase activities of Lycopersicon esculentum and L. pennellii.-Biol. Plant. 50: 745–748, 2006. CrossRef
- Lepage, M.: Identification and composition of turnip root lipids.-Lipids 2: 244–50, 1967. CrossRef
- Metcalfe, D., Schmitz, A., Pelka, J.R.: Rapid preparation of fatty acid esters from lipids for gas chromatographic analysis.-Anal. Chem. 38: 524–535, 1966. CrossRef
- Pospíšilová, J., Vágner, M., Malbeck, J., Trávníčková, A., Bat’ková, P.: Interactions between abscisic acid and cytokinins during water stress and subsequent rehydration.-Biol. Plant. 49: 533–540, 2005. CrossRef
- Quartacci, M.F., Glisic, O., Steranovic, B., Navarri-Izzo, F.: Plasma membrane lipids in the resurrection plant Ramonda serbica following dehydration and rehydration.-J. exp. Bot. 53: 2159–2166, 2002. CrossRef
- Quartacci, M.F., Pinho, C., Sgherri, C.L.M, Navari-lzzo, F.: Lipid composition and protein dynamics in thylakoids of two wheat cultivars differently sensitive to drought.-Plant Physiol. 108: 191–197, 1995.
- Scholander, P.F., Hammel, H.T., Hemmingsen, E.A., Bradstreet, E.D.: Hydrostatic pressure and osmotic potential in leaves of mangroves and some other plants.-Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. USA 52: 119–125, 1964. CrossRef
- Schultz, H.R.: Water relations and photosynthetic responses of two grapevine cultivars of different geographical origin during water stress.-Acta Hort. 427, 1996
- Singh, S.C., Sinha, R.P., Hader, D.P.: Role of lipids and fatty acids in stress tolerance in Cyanobacteria.-Acta Protozool. 41: 297–308, 2002.
- Vassilev, A., Lidon, F., Scotti, P., Da Graca, M., Yordanov, I.: Cadmium-induced changes in chloroplast lipids and photosystem activities in barley plants.-Biol. Plant. 48: 153–156, 2004. CrossRef
- Webb, M., Green, B.R.: Effects of neutral and anionic lipids on digalactosyldiacylglycerol vesicle aggregation.-Biochim. biophys. Acta 1030: 231–237, 1990. CrossRef
- Welti, R., Weiqi, L., Maoyin, L., Yongming, S., Homigol, B., Han, E.Z., Rajashekar, C.B., Williams, T.D., Wang, X.: Profiling membrane lipids in plant stress responses: role of phospholipase D in freezing-induced lipid changes in Arabidopsis.-J. biol. Chem. 33: 31994–32002, 2002 CrossRef
- Zhang, G., Slaski, J.J., Archambault, D.J., Taylor, G.J.: Alteration of plasma membrane lipids in aluminium-resistant and aluminium-sensitive wheat genotype in response to aluminium.-Physiol. Plant. 99: 302–308, 1997. CrossRef
- Water stress induced changes in the leaf lipid composition of four grapevine genotypes with different drought tolerance
Volume 52, Issue 1 , pp 161-164
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- leaf water potential
- Vitis vinifera
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Grapevine Molecular Physiology, Route Touristique de Soliman 95, Hammam-Lif, 2050, Tunisia
- 2. Laboratory of Characterization and Quality of Olive Oil, Route Touristique de Soliman 95, Hammam-Lif, 2050, Tunisia
- 3. Laboratory of Plant physiology and Biotechnology, University of Crete, Heraklion, Greece