Projects Come, Projects Go: Lessons from Participatory Monitoring in Southern Laos
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper examines how a biodiversity monitoring system based on data collected by protected area staff and local communities was established and maintained in Xe Pian national protected area, Laos. Monitoring activities commenced with project support in 1998. Protected area staff, district forestry staff and villagers continued the monitoring work after 2001 when the external advisers left. More than 2500 records of wildlife, natural resource use and threats to the protected area were collected by villagers and protected area staff, mainly through use of patrols, village discussions and village logbooks. The management interventions that followed the monitoring activities were a reaction to immediate threats or perceived trends in biodiversity rather than to trends revealed by analyses of the collected data. Patrols and village discussions came to a virtual standstill when external funding ceased, probably because of lack of supporting national policies. The annual running cost of the monitoring system was only about US$ 4000 or 0.02 per ha of forest habitat.
- Baird, I.G., Bounphasy, S. (2002) Non-timber Forest Product UseManagement and Tenure in Pathoumphone DistrictChampasak ProvinceSouthern Laos. Global Association for People and the Environment, Pakse, Lao P.D.R
- Brashares J.S. and Sam M.K. 2005. How much is enough? Estimating the minimum sampling required for effective monitoring of African reserves. Biodivers. Conserv. (this issue).
- Cox, R., LaurieA. and WoodfordM. 1992. Report of the results of four field surveys for Kouprey (Bos sauveli) in Vietnam and Lao. P.D.R. Unpublished reportKouprey Conservation Trust.
- Danielsen, F., Balete, D.S., Poulsen, M.K., Enghoff, M., Nozawa, C.M., Jensen, A.E. (2000) A simple system for monitoring biodiversity in protected areas of a developing country. Biodivers. Conserv. 9: pp. 1671-1705 CrossRef
- Danielsen, F., Burgess, N., Balmford, A. (2005) Monitoring matters: examining the potential of locally-based approaches. Biodivers. Conserv. 14: pp. 2507-2542
- Duckworth, J.W. (1997) Small carnivores in Laos: a status review with notes on ecology, behaviour and conservation. Small Carnivore Conserv. 16: pp. 1-21
- Duckworth W., Evans T. and Timmins R. 1993. A wildlife and habitat survey of Xe Piane proposed protected areaChampassak, Laos. Lao–Swedish Forestry Cooperation Programme, IUCN.
- Duckworth, J.W., Timmins, R.J., Thewlis, R.C.M., Evans, T.D., Anderson, G.Q.A. (1994) Field observations of mammals in Laos, 1992–1993. Nat. Hist. Bull. Siam Soc. 42: pp. 177-205
- Duckworth, J.W., Timmins, R.J., Anderson, G.Q.A., Thewlis, R.M., Nemeth, E., Evans, T.D., Dvorak, M., Cozza, K.E.A. (1995) Notes on the status and conservation of the gibbon Hylobates (Nomascus) gabriellae in Laos. Trop. Biodivers. 3: pp. 15-27
- Duckworth, J.W., Salter, R.E., Khounboline, K. (1999) Wildlife in Lao P.D.R. 1999 Status Report. IUCN, Vientiane, Lao P.D.R
- Xe Pian National Biodiversity Conservation Area Management Plan. Forest Management and Conservation Program, Vientiane, Lao P.D.R
- Fujita Y. and Phanvilay K. 2004. Land and Forest Allocation and Its Implication on Forest Management and Household Livelihoods: Comparison of Case Studies from CBNRM Research in Central Laos. Instituto de Investigaciones Sociales, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Oaxaca, México. www.iascp2004.org.mx/downloads/paper_105b.pdf.
- Hockley, N.J., Jones, J.P.G., Andriahajaina, F.B., Manica, A., Ranambitsoa, E.H., Randriamboahary, J.A. (2005) When should communities and conservationists monitor exploited resources?. Biodivers. Conserv. 14: pp. 2795-2806
- Ling, S. (2000) NBCA Biodiversity Monitoring, Part One: Monitoring Manual and Part Two: Trainers Notes. WCS, Vientiane, Lao P.D.R
- Instructions on Land and Forest Allocation. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), No.0822/MAF, Vientiane, Lao P.D.R.
- Regulations Concerning NBCAs, Wetlands and Wildlife (unofficial translation). Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), No.0524/2001, Vientiane, Lao P.D.R.
- Robichaud, W., Marsh, C., Southammakoth, S., Khounthikoummane, S. (2001) Review of the National Protected Area System in Lao PDK. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry/Department of Forestry/National Agriculture and Forestry Research Institute, Vientiane
- Salter, R.E., Phantavong, B., Sawathong, S., Souliyakan, S., Luanglath, K. (1990) An Assessment of the Current Status of Kouprey and Other Wild Cattle in Southern Laos. Forest Resources Conservation Project, Lao–Swedish Forestry Cooperation Programme, Vientiane, Lao P.D.R
- Steinmetz, R. (1997) A Survey of Mammals and Habitats in Xe Piane National Biodiversity Conservation Area, Lao P.D.R. WWF-Thailand Project Office, Bangkok, Thailand
- Steinmetz, R. (2000) Ecological Surveys, Monitoring, and the Involvement of Local People in Protected Areas of Lao P.D.R. International Institute for Environment and Development, London, UK
- Thewlis, R.M., Duckworth, J.W., Anderson, G.Q.A., Dvorak, M., Evans, T.D., Nemeth, E., Timmins, R.J., Wilkinson, R.J. (1996 (for 1995)) Ornithological records from Laos 1992–1993. Forktail 11: pp. 47-100
- Timmins, R.J., Duckworth, J.W. (1999) Status and conservation of Douc Langurs (Pygathrix nemaeus) in Laos. Int. J. Primatol. 20: pp. 469-489 CrossRef
- Topp-Jørgensen, E., Poulsen, M.K., Lund, J.F., Massao, J.F. (2005) Community-based monitoring of natural resource use and forest quality in montane forests and miombo woodlands in Iringa DistrictTanzania. Biodivers. Conserv. 14: pp. 2653-2677
- Uychiaoco, A.J., Arceo, H.O., Green, S.J., De la Cruz, M.T., Gaite, P.A., Aliño, P.M. (2005) Monitoring and evaluation of reef protected areas by local fishers in the Philippines: tTightening the aAdaptive mManagement cCycle. Biodivers. Conserv. 14: pp. 2775-2794
- Rapid and Participatory Biodiversity Assessments (BIORAP) in Xe Piane NBCA – Final Report. WWF-Thailand/Burapha, Bangkok, Thailand
- Projects Come, Projects Go: Lessons from Participatory Monitoring in Southern Laos
Biodiversity & Conservation
Volume 14, Issue 11 , pp 2591-2610
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Locally-based monitoring
- Natural resource management
- Participatory monitoring
- Industry Sectors