Diversity of dung and carrion beetles in a disturbed Mexican tropical montane cloud forest and on shade coffee plantations
- Lucrecia ArellanoAffiliated withDepartamento de Ecología y Comportamiento Animal, Instituto de Ecología, A.C.
- , Mario E. FavilaAffiliated withDepartamento de Ecología y Comportamiento Animal, Instituto de Ecología, A.C. Email author
- , Carmen HuertaAffiliated withDepartamento de Ecología y Comportamiento Animal, Instituto de Ecología, A.C.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper analyzes the diversity of dung and carrion beetles (Scarabaeinae and Silphidae) in four human-induced habitats of a disturbed tropical montane cloud forest: polyspecific shade coffee plantations, monospecific shade coffee plantations, tropical montane cloud forest fragments, and clear cuts. The four habitats had similar richness, species composition, and assemblage structure of dung and carrion beetles. Differences were found in abundance and biomass levels for the four dominant species in the landscape. Dung beetles were more abundant than carrion beetles, but the biomass was higher for the latter. Carrion beetles were seasonal, while dung beetles were clearly not. When forest fragments and shade coffee plantations were compared to other similar habitats in the region, the same general pattern was observed. However, forests with high disturbance and monospecific shade coffee plantations had lower species richness than forests with low and medium disturbance and polyspecific shade coffee plantations. Thus shade coffee plantations maintain connectivity between patches of cloud forest in a landscape that is strongly affected by human activities. Protecting landscape diversity appears to ensure high species richness.
KeywordsAnthropic landscapes Biodiversity Dung and carrion beetles Shade coffee plantations Tropical montane cloud forest Veracruz
- Diversity of dung and carrion beetles in a disturbed Mexican tropical montane cloud forest and on shade coffee plantations
Biodiversity & Conservation
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 601-615
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Anthropic landscapes
- Dung and carrion beetles
- Shade coffee plantations
- Tropical montane cloud forest
- Industry Sectors