Morphological and Phenotypical Characteristics of Human Osteoblasts after Short-Term Space Mission
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Morphological and phenotypical signs of cultured readaptation osteoblasts were studied after a short-term space mission. The ultrastructure and phenotype of human osteoblasts after Soyuz TMA-11 space flight (2007) were evaluated by scanning electron microscopy, laser confocal microscopy, and ELISA. The morphofunctional changes in cell cultures persisted after 12 passages. Osteoblasts retained the drastic changes in their shape and size, contour deformation, disorganization of the microtubular network, redistribution of organelles and specialized structures of the plasmalemma in comparison with the ground control cells. On the other hand, the expression of osteoprotegerin and osteocalcin (bone metabolism markers) increased; the expression of bone resorption markers ICAM-1 and IL-6 also increased, while the expression of VCAM-1 decreased. Hence, space flight led to the development of persistent shifts in cultured osteoblasts indicating injuries to the cytoskeleton and the phenotype changes, indicating modulation of bone metabolism biomarkers.
- P. M. Gershovich, Yu. G. Gershovich, and L. B. Buravkova, Tsitologiya, 51, No. 11, 896-904 (2009).
- M. Yu. Kapitonova, S. L. Kuznetsov, G. R. A. Fromming, et al., Bull. Exp. Biol. Med., 154, No. 6, 796-781 (2012). CrossRef
- V. S. Oganov and A. I. Grigor’ev, Ros. Fiziol. Zh., 98, No. 3, 395-409 (2012).
- L. B. Buravkova, P. M. Gershovich, J. G. Gershovich, and A. I. Grigor’ev, Acta Naturae, 2, No. 1, 28-35 (2010).
- M. Hughes-Fulford, K. Rodenacker, and U. Jütting, Cell Biochem., 99, No. 2, 435-449 (2006). CrossRef
- Y. Kumei, S. Morita, H. Katano, et al., Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci., 1090, 311-317 (2006). CrossRef
- V. E. Meyers, M. Zayzafoon, J. T. Douglas, and J. M. McDonald, J. Bone Miner. Res., 20, No. 10, 1858-1866 (2005). CrossRef
- M. Monticone, Y. Liu, N. Pujic, and R. Cancedda, J. Cell Biochem., 111, No. 2, 442-452 (2010). CrossRef
- N. Nabavi, A. Khandani, A. Camirand, and R. F. Harrison, Bone, 49, No. 5, 965-974 (2011). CrossRef
- M. P. Nagaraja and D. Risin, J. Cell Biochem., 114, No. 5, 1001-1008 (2012). CrossRef
- A. R. Qian, D. Li, J. Han, et al., IEEE Trans Biomed Eng., 59, No. 5, 1374-1380 (2012). CrossRef
- F. Saravia, I. Nunez-Martinez, J. M. Moran, et al., Theriogenology, 68, No. 2, 196-203 (2007). CrossRef
- H. Schatten, M. L. Lewis, and A. Chakrabarti, Acta Astronaut., 49, Nos. 3-10, 399-418 (2001). CrossRef
- R. Tamma, G. Colaianni, C. Camerino, et al., FASEB J., 23, No. 8, 2549-2554 (2009). CrossRef
- L. Vico, J. Musculoskeletal Neuronal Interact., 6, No. 4, 317-318 (2006).
- Morphological and Phenotypical Characteristics of Human Osteoblasts after Short-Term Space Mission
Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine
Volume 156, Issue 3 , pp 393-398
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- cell culture
- fluorescent microscopy
- scanning electron microscopy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Teknologi MARA, Selangor, Malaysia
- 2. Institute of Medical Molecular Biotechnology, Sungai Bulo, Malaysia
- 3. I. M. Sechenov First Moscow Medical University, Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Moscow, Russia
- 4. Faculty of Agriculture and Biotechnology, Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin, Trengganu, Malaysia