The Role of Cell Fusion in Physiological and Reparative Regeneration of the Cerebral Cortex
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The prefrontal (cognitive) cerebral cortex of rats was studied by morphological and physiological methods 56 days after stroke induced by photothrombosis. The cognitive capacity impaired after the intervention was completely restored by this time. The count of fused cells (dikaryons) increased signifi cantly in experimental and sham-operated (control) animals in comparison with the early period (7 days) after surgery. Normalization of the dikaryon and mononuclear cell structure was observed after 56 days. Presumably, cell fusion promotes their morphological restoration and regeneration of the lost functional capacity. Fusion is regarded as a manifestation of physiological and reparative regeneration of the cortex.
- J. Bures, O. Buresova, and J. R. Houston, Methods and Basic Experiments on Studies of the Brain and Behavior [in Russian], Moscow (1991).
- A. A. Pal’tsyn, E. G. Kolokol’chikova, N. B. Konstantinova, et al., Byull. Exp. Biol. Med., 146, No. 10, 467–470 (2008).
- J. B. Ackman, F. Siddiqi, R. S. Walikonis, and J. J. Lo Turco, J. Neurosci., 26, No. 44, 11,413–11,422 (2006). CrossRef
- J. J. Breunig and J. I. Arellano, Ibid., 27, No. 7, 1507–1508 (2007).
- H. Frielingsdorf, K. Schwarz, P. Brundin, and P. Mohapel, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 101, No. 27, 10,177–10,182 (2004). CrossRef
- G. Gheusi and P. M. Lledo, Chem. Senses, 32, No. 4, 397–409 (2007). CrossRef
- B. Kosaras and E. Snyder, Neural Stem Cells. Methods and Protocols, Humana Press Inc. (2002), pp. 157–178.
- R. R. Leker, F. Soldner, I. Velasco, et al., Stroke, 38, No. 1, 153–161 (2007). CrossRef
- S. M. Mooney and M. W. Miller, J. Neurosci., 27, No. 19, 5023–5032 (2007). CrossRef
- G. Paxinos and S. Watson, Atlas of Anatomy of Rat Brain, San Diego (1986).
- B. D. Watson, W. D. Dietrich, R. Busto, et al., Ann. Neurol., 17, No. 5, 497–504 (1985). CrossRef
- The Role of Cell Fusion in Physiological and Reparative Regeneration of the Cerebral Cortex
Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine
Volume 148, Issue 5 , pp 825-828
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- cell fusion
- physiological and reparative regeneration of CNS
- Industry Sectors