Mesenchymal Stem Cells from Human Bone Marrow and Adipose Tissue: Isolation, Characterization, and Differentiation Potentialities
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Comparative study of cultured human bone marrow and adipose tissue (lipoaspirate) mesenchymal stem cells was carried out. The main morphological parameters, proliferative activity, expression of surface and intracellular markers of these cells were characterized. Flow cytofluorometry and histological staining showed that both cell types exhibited similar expression of CD105, CD54, CD106, HLA-I markers, were positively stained for vimentin, ASMA, collagen-1, and fibronectin, but not HLA-DR, CD117, and hemopoietic cell markers. The cells underwent differentiation into adipocytes and osteoblasts under appropriate conditions of culturing. Incubation under neuroinductive conditions led to the appearance of a cell population positively stained for type III β-tubulin (neuronal differentiation marker).
- A. Alhadlaq and J. J. Mao, Stem Cell Dev., 13, 436–448 (2004). CrossRef
- L. Aust, B. Devlin, S. Foster, et al., Cytotherapy, 6, 7–14 (2004). CrossRef
- P. Bianco and P. G. Robey, J. Clin. Invest., 105, 1663–1668 (2000).
- D. Clarke and J. Frisen, Curr. Opin. Gen. Dev., 11, 575–580 (2001). CrossRef
- D. Covas, J. Siufi, A. Silva, and M. Orellana, Braz. J. Med. Biol. Res., 36, 1179–1183 (2003). CrossRef
- S. J. Forbes, P. Vig, R. Poulsom, et al., Clin. Sci., 103, 355–369 (2002).
- A. J. Fridenstein, U. F. Deriglazova, N. N. Kulagina, et al., Exp. Hematol., 2, 83–92 (1974).
- Y. Fukuchi, H. Nakajima, D. Sugiyama, et al., Stem Cells, 22, 649–658 (2004). CrossRef
- J. E. Grove, E. Bruscia, and D. S. Krause, Ibid., 487–500.
- S. Hung, C. Cheng, C. Pan, et al., Ibid., 20, 522–529 (2002). CrossRef
- A. J. Katz, A. Tholpady, S. Tholpady, et al., Ibid., 23, 412–423 (2005). CrossRef
- D. S. Krause, Gene Ther., 9, 754–758 (2002). CrossRef
- K. E. Mitchell, M. L. Weiss, B. M. Mitchell, et al., Stem Cells, 21, 50–60 (2003).
- Y. A. Romanov, V. B. Svintsitskaya, and V. N. Smirnov, Ibid., 105–110.
- R. S. Tuan, G. Boland, and R. Tuli, Arthritis Res. Ther., 5, 32–45 (2002). CrossRef
- H. Wang, S. Hung, S. Peng, et al., Stem Cells, 22, 1330–1337 (2004). CrossRef
- G. G. Wulf, K. A. Jackson, and M. A. Goodell, Exp. Hematol., 29, 1361–1370 (2001). CrossRef
- P. A. Zuk, M. Zhu, P. Ashjian, et al., Mol. Biol. Cell, 13, 4279–4295 (2002). CrossRef
- P. A. Zuk, M. Zhu, H. Mizuno, et al., Tissue Eng., 7, 211–228 (2001). CrossRef
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells from Human Bone Marrow and Adipose Tissue: Isolation, Characterization, and Differentiation Potentialities
Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine
Volume 140, Issue 1 , pp 138-143
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Consultants Bureau
- Additional Links
- mesenchymal stem cells
- cell culture
- bone marrow
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Research and Practical Laboratory of Human Stem Cells, National Complex of Cardiology Research and Practice, Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Russia
- 2. Institute of Biomedical Problems, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia