Metformin Decelerates Aging and Development of Mammary Tumors in HER-2/neu Transgenic Mice
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Transgenic FVB/N female mice carrying HER-2/neu mammary cancer gene received metformin (1200 mg/liter) with drinking water 5 days a week starting from the age of 2 months until natural death. Metformin slightly reduced food consumption, but did not change water consumption and dynamics of weight gain. Mean life span of mice increased by 8% (p<0.05), in 10% long-living mice it was prolonged by 13.1%, and the maximum life span was prolonged by 1 month under the effect of metformin in comparison with the control. The rate of populational aging decreased by 2.26 times. The total incidence of mammary adenocarcinoma and their multiplicity did not change under the effect of metformin, while the latency of tumor development increased and the mean diameter of tumors decreased. Hence, we first demonstrated a geroprotective effect of metformin and its suppressive effect towards the development of mammary tumors.
- V. N. Anisimov, Molecular and Physiological Mechanisms of Aging [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2003).
- L. M. Bershtein, Oncoendocrinology. Traditions, State of the Art, Prospects [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2004).
- A. I. Bozhkov, Uspekhi Gerontol., 8, 89–99 (2001).
- E. V. Gubler, Computation Methods of Analysis and Recognition of Pathological Processes [in Russian], Leningrad (1978).
- V. N. Anisimov, Exp. Gerontol., 38, No.10, 1041–1049 (2003). CrossRef
- V. V. Bakaev, Biogerontology, 3,Suppl. 1, 23–24 (2002).
- D. R. Cox and D. Oakes, Analysis of Survival Data, London (1996).
- V. M. Dilman and V. N. Anisimov, Gerontology, 26, No.5, 241–245 (1980).
- V. M. Dilman, L. M. Bershtein, M. A. Zabezhinski, et al., Arch. Geschwulforsch., 48, No.1, 1–8 (1978).
- F. S. Facchini, N. W. Hua, G. M. Reaven, and R. A. Stoohs, Free Radic. Biol. Med., 29, No.12, 1302–1306 (2000). CrossRef
- E. J. Masoro, Exp. Gerontol., 35, 299–305 (2000). CrossRef
- M. N. Pollak, E. S. Schernhammer, and S. E. Hankinson, Nat. Rev. Cancer, 4, No.7, 505–518 (2004). CrossRef
- S. R. Spindler, J. D. Dhahbi, P. L. Mote, et al., Biogerontology, 4,Suppl. 1, 89 (2003).
- R. Weindruch, K. P. Keenan, J. M. Carney, et al., J. Gerontol. Biol. Sci., 56 A, Special Issue 1, 20–33 (2001).
- Metformin Decelerates Aging and Development of Mammary Tumors in HER-2/neu Transgenic Mice
Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine
Volume 139, Issue 6 , pp 721-723
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Consultants Bureau
- Additional Links
- life span
- breast cancer
- transgenic mice
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Prof. N. N. Petrov Institute of Oncology, Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, St. Petersburg, Russia
- 2. Institute of Demographic Studies, Max Plank Society, Rostok, Germany