An autonomous mobile manipulator for assembly tasks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The fundamental difference between autonomous robotic assembly and traditional hard automation, currently utilized in large-scale manufacturing production, lies in the specific approaches used in locating, acquiring, manipulating, aligning, and assembling parts. An autonomous robotic assembly manipulator offers high flexibility and high capability to deal with the inherent system uncertainties, unknowns, and exceptions. This paper presents an autonomous mobile manipulator that effectively overcomes inherent system uncertainties and exceptions by utilizing control strategies that employ coordinated control, combine visual and force servoing, and incorporate sophisticated reactive task control. The mobile manipulation system has been demonstrated experimentally to achieve high reliability for a “peg-in-hole” type of insertion assembly task that is commonly encountered in automotive wiring harness assembly.
- Bar-Itzhack, Y. (2000) New method for extracting the quaternion from a rotation matrix. AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics 23: pp. 1085-1087 CrossRef
- Bischoff, R. (1997). HERMES—a humanoid manipulator for service tasks. In Proceedings of the international conference on field and service robotics, Canberra, December, 1997.
- Bonasso, R. P., Firby, R. J., Gat, E., Kortenkamp, D., Miller, D. P., & Slack, M. G. (1997). Experiences with an architecture for intelligent, reactive agents. Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, 9(1).
- Brock, O., Khatib, O. (2002) Elastic strips: a framework for motion generation in human environments. The International Journal of Robotics Research 21: pp. 1031-1052 CrossRef
- Chiaverini, S. (1997) Singularity-robust task-priority redundancy resolution for real-time kinematic control of robot manipulators. IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation 13: pp. 398-410 CrossRef
- Schutter, J., Laet, T., Rutgeerts, J., Decré, W., Smits, R., Aerbeliën, E., Claes, K., Bruyninckx, H. (2007) Constraint-based task specification and estimation for sensor-based robot systems in the presence of geometric uncertainty. International Journal of Robotics Research 26: pp. 433-455 CrossRef
- Dillman, R., Ehrenmann, M., Steinhaus, P., Rogalla, O., & Zollner, R. (2002). Human friendly programming of humanoid robots—the German collaborative research center. In Proceedings of the IEEE international workshop of robot and human interactive communication.
- Donald, B. R. (1990). Planning multi-step error detection and recovery strategies. The International Journal of Robotics Research, 892–897.
- Duchaine, V., & Gosselin, C. (2007). General model of human-robot cooperation using a novel velocity based variable impedance control. In Proceedings of the second joint EuroHaptics conference and symposium on haptic interfaces for virtual environment and teleoperator systems.
- Edsinger, A., & Kemp, C. (2006). Manipulation in human environments. In Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ international conference on humanoid robotics.
- Fiala, M. (2005) ARTag, a fiducial marker system using digital techniques. IEEE Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition 2: pp. 590-596
- Holmberg, R., Khatib, O. (2000) Development and control of a holonomic mobile robot for mobile manipulation tasks. The International Journal of Robotics Research 19: pp. 1066-1074 CrossRef
- Kim, J., Chung, W. K., Youm, Y., & Lee, B. H. (2002). Real-time ZMP compensation method using null motion for mobile manipulators. In Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on robotics and automation, Washington DC.
- Kragic, D., Crinier, S., Brunn, D., & Christensen, H. I. (2003). Vision and tactile sensing for real world tasks. In Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on robotics and automation, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Mason, M. (1979). Compliance and force control for computer controlled manipulators. MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory Memo 515, April 1979.
- Mills, J., Goldenberg, A. (1989) Force and position control of manipulators during constrained motion tasks. IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation 5: pp. 30-46 CrossRef
- Nakamura, Y., Hanafusa, H. (1986) Inverse kinematic solutions with singularity robustness for robot manipulator control. Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 108: pp. 163-171 CrossRef
- Peshkin, M. A., Colgate, J. E., Akella, P., Wannasuphoprasit, W. Cobots in materials handling. In: Cutkosky, M., Howe, R., Salisbury, K., Srinivasan, M. eds. (2000) Human and Machine Haptics. MIT Press, Cambridge
- Petersson, L., Jensfelt, P., Tell, D., Strandberg, M., Kragic, D., & Christensen, H. I. (2002). Systems integration for real-world manipulation tasks. In Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on robots and automation.
- Raibert, M. H., Craig, J. J. (1981) Hybrid position/force control of manipulators. Transactions of ASME, Journal DSMC 103: pp. 126-133
- Sciavicco, L., Siciliano, B. (2005) Modeling and control of robot manipulators. Springer, London
- Schaal, S. (2007) The New Robotics—towards human-centered machines. HFSP Journal 1: pp. 115-126 CrossRef
- Se, S., Lowe, D., Little, J. (2005) Vision-based global localization and mapping for mobile robots. IEEE Transactions on Robotics 21: pp. 364-375 CrossRef
- Sellner, B., Heger, F. W., Hiatt, L. M., Simmons, R., Singh, S. (2006) Coordinated multi-agent teams and sliding autonomy for large-scale assembly. Proceedings of the IEEE, Special Issue on Multi-Agent Systems 94: pp. 1425-1444
- Shin, D., Hamner, B., Singh, S., & Hwangbo, M. (2003). Motion planning for a mobile manipulator with imprecise locomotion. In Proceedings of IEEE/RSJ international conference on intelligent robots and systems (pp. 847–853).
- Simmons, R., & Whelan, G. (1997). Visualization tools for validating software of autonomous spacecraft. In Proceedings of international symposium on artificial intelligence, robotics and automation in space, Tokyo, Japan, July 1997.
- Simmons, R., & Apfelbaum, D. (1998). A task description language for robot control. In Proceedings of conference on intelligent robotics and systems, Vancouver, Canada, October 1998.
- Wampler, C. W. (1986) Manipulator inverse kinematic solutions based on vector formulations and damped least-squares methods. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics SMC-16: pp. 93-101 CrossRef
- Whitney, D. E. (1969) Resolved motion rate control of manipulators and human prostheses. IEEE Transactions on Man-Machine System MMS-IO: pp. 47-53 CrossRef
- Yamamoto, Y., & Yun, X. (1992). Coordinating locomotion and manipulation of a mobile manipulator. In Proceedings of the 31st IEEE conference on decision and control (Vol. 3, pp. 2643–2648), Tucson, AZ, USA.
- Yoshikawa, T. (1987) Dynamic hybrid position/force control of robot manipulators—description of hand constraints and calculation of joint driving force. IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation RA-3: pp. 386-392 CrossRef
- Yuan, J. S. (1988) Closed-loop manipulator control using quaternion feedback. IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation 4: pp. 434-440 CrossRef
- An autonomous mobile manipulator for assembly tasks
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 131-149
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Mobile manipulation
- Coordinated control
- Constrained motion
- Task architecture
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA, 15213, USA
- 2. Research and Development Center, Manufacturing Systems Research Lab., General Motors Company, 30500 Mound Road, Warren, MI, 48090, USA