HH 588: A giant bipolar outflow in the dark cloud BRC 37
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Results of 2D spectroscopy of the complex of Herbig-Haro objects HH 588 in the dark globule BRC 37 are presented. The multipupil spectrograph VAGR has been used to obtain spectra of four parts of this complex, including the objects NE2, NE1, center, and SW2. The kinematic characteristics of these components of the complex confirm the existence of a giant bipolar outflow from the central infrared source IRAS 21388+5622. Spectral studies also show that the central object has the very low excitation and strong [OI] and [SII] emission characteristic of jets emerging from young stellar objects. In terms of their physical parameters, the other objects are typical Herbig-Haro objects. On the other hand, it is found that the entire HH 588 complex is an irradiated Herbig-Haro flow. This is indicated by the comparatively high excitation of the object NE2, and by the fact that the entire HH 588 flow is an arc with its convex side facing the center of the HII region IC 1396.
- K. Ogura, K. Sugitani, and A. Pickles, Astron. J. 123, 2597 (2002). CrossRef
- J. Bally, B. Reipurth, and C. J. Davis, Protostars & Planets V (2007), p. 215.
- R. J. White, T. P. Greene, G. W. Doppmann, K. R. Covey, and L. A. Hillenbrand, Protostars & Planets V (2007), p. 117.
- J. Bally and B. Reipurth, Astrophys. J. 546, 299 (2001). CrossRef
- M. Kun, Z. T. Kiss, and Z. Balog, in: B. Reipurth, ed., “Handbook of Star-Forming Regions, V. I, ASP Monograph Publications, Vol. 4 (2008), p. 136.
- G. Duvert, J. Chernicharo, R. Bachiller, and J. Gomez-Gonzalez, Astron. Astrophys. 233, 190 (1990).
- H. E. Matthews, Astron. Astrophys. 75, 345 (1979).
- D. Froebrich, A. Scholz, J. Eislöffel, and G. C. Murphy, Astron. Astrophys. 432, 575 (2005). CrossRef
- K. Sugitani, H. Matsuo, M. Nakano, M. Tamura, and K. Ogura, Astron. J. 119, 323 (2000). CrossRef
- T. Movsessian, J.-L. Gach, J. Boulesteix, and F. Zhamkotsian, Baltic Astronomy 9, 51 (2000).
- ADHOCw, http://www.oamp.fr/adhoc/adhocw.htm
- B. Reipurth and J. Bally, Ann. Rev. Astron. Astrophys. 39, 403 (2001). CrossRef
- B. Reipurth, J. Bally, and D. Devine, Astron. J. 114, 2708 (1997). CrossRef
- HH 588: A giant bipolar outflow in the dark cloud BRC 37
Volume 55, Issue 4 , pp 471-479
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Herbig-Haro flows and objects— individual
- HH 588