Adult Sexual Attraction to Early-Stage Adolescents: Phallometry Doesn’t Equal Pathology
- Thomas K. Zander
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The finding of Blanchard et al. (2008) that adult self-reports of sexual preference for early-stage adolescents generally matched their phallometric responses to such adolescents does not justify the broad and startling conclusion of these researchers that “hebephilia exists as a discriminable erotic age-preference” so as to justify an expansion of the DSM diagnostic category of Pedophilia to include early-stage adolescents.
DSM-IV-TR draws the distinction between pathological and non-pathological age-related sexual arousal at the onset of pubescence: adult arousal to prepubescents is considered pathological and adult arousal to pubescents and post-pubescents is considered non-pathological. This distinction is more than academic. It has serious, real world implications, given that, in the U.S., a diagnosis of Pedophilia can result in the diagnosed individual being subject to potential lifetime confinement pursuant to so-called “sexually violent predator” civil commitment laws (Zander, 2
- Blanchard, R., Lykins, A. D., Wherrett, D., Kuban, M. E., Cantor, J. M., Blak, T., et al. (2008). Pedophilia, hebephilia, and the DSM-V. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10508-008-9399-9.
- Diamond, M. (1990). Selected cross-generational sexual behavior in traditional Hawaii: A sexological ethnography. In J. Feierman (Ed.), Pedophilia: Biosocial dimensions (pp. 422–424). New York: Springer.
- Freund, K., & Costell, R. (1970). The structure of erotic preference in the nondeviant male. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 8, 15–20. CrossRef
- Herman-Giddens, M. E. (2006). Recent data on pubertal milestones in United States children: The secular trend toward earlier development. International Journal of Andrology, 29, 241–246. CrossRef
- Quinsey, V. L., Steinman, C. M., Bergersen, S. G., & Holmes, T. F. (1975). Penile circumference, skin conductance, and ranking responses of child molesters, and “normals” to sexual and nonsexual visual stimuli. Behavior Therapy, 6, 213–219. CrossRef
- Salopek, P. (2004, December 12). From child to bride: Early marriage survives in the U.S. Chicago Tribune, 22, http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0412120359dec12,0,2045063.story.
- Wollert, R. (2007). Poor diagnostic reliability, the Null-Bayes logic model, and their implications for sexually violent predator evaluations. Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, 13, 167–203. CrossRef
- Zander, T. K. (2005). Civil commitment without psychosis: The law’s reliance on the weakest links in psychodiagnosis. Journal of Sexual Offender Civil Commitment: Science and the Law, 1, 17–82.
- Adult Sexual Attraction to Early-Stage Adolescents: Phallometry Doesn’t Equal Pathology
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 38, Issue 3 , pp 329-330
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Thomas K. Zander (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 10936 N. Port Washington Rd. #285, Mequon, WI, 53092-5031, USA