Grossly Disinhibited Sexual Behavior in Dementia of Alzheimer's Type
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 70-year-old male patient reported to the Department of Neurology, Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital in New Delhi for the chief complaint of forgetfulness for the last 8 years with agitated behavior and disinhibited sexuality. For the last five years, the patient started using sexually explicit language, which was out of keeping with his premorbid history. He then started touching and grabbing his wife's genitals in front of family members.
Upon further probing, it was found that he forced his wife to have sexual intercourse with him 3–4 times during the night and when he gets the opportunity during the daytime. If she refused, he would become aggressive and violent and beat her severely. He also made sexual advances towards other females around him and passes indecent remarks. He has been observed masturbating by caregivers.
A mental status examination revealed that the patient was poorly groomed and unkempt. He had delusions of persecution, reference, and infidelity. Auditory hallucinati ...
- Hashmi, F. H., Krady, A. I., Qayum, F., Grossberg, G. T. (2000) Sexually disinhibited behavior in the cognitively impaired elderly. Clinical Geriatrics 8: pp. 61-68
- Nagaratnam, N., Gayagay, G. (2002) Hypersexuality in nursing care facilities: A descriptive study. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics 35: pp. 195-203 CrossRef
- Pilleri, G. (1966) The Kluver-Bucy syndrome in man: A clinico-anatomical contribution to the function of the medial temporal lobe structures. Psychiatria et Neurologia 152: pp. 65-103
- Robinson, K. M. (2003) Understanding hypersexuality: A behavioral disorder of dementia. Home Healthcare Nurse 21: pp. 43-47 CrossRef
- Rosenthal, M., Berkman, P., Shapira, A., Gil, I., Abramovitz, J. (2003) Urethral masturbation and sexual disinhibition in dementia: A case report. Israel Journal of Psychiatry and Related Sciences 40: pp. 67-72
- Grossly Disinhibited Sexual Behavior in Dementia of Alzheimer's Type
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 36, Issue 2 , pp 133-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 110029, India
- 2. Department of Neurology, Dr. RML Hospital, GGS-IP University, New Delhi, India
- 3. Department of Psychiatry, Lady Harding Medical College, New Delhi, India