Contrary to time conditionals in Talmudic logic
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider conditionals of the form A ⇒ B where A depends on the future and B on the present and past. We examine models for such conditional arising in Talmudic legal cases. We call such conditionals contrary to time conditionals.
Three main aspects will be investigated:
Inverse causality from future to past, where a future condition can influence a legal event in the past (this is a man made causality).
Comparison with similar features in modern law.
New types of temporal logics arising from modelling the Talmudic examples.
- Abraham M, Gabbay D, Schild U (2010) Obligations and prohibitions in Talmudic deontic logic. In: Governatori G, Sartor G (eds) DEON 2010, LNAI 6181, pp 166–178
- Abraham, M, Gabbay, D, Schild, U (2011) Talmudic temporal logic. College Publications, London
- Abraham, M, Gabbay, D, Schild, U (2011) Obligations and prohibitions in Talmudic deontic logic. Expanded journal version of . Artif Intell Law 19: pp. 2117-2148 CrossRef
- Abraham M, Gabbay DM, Schild U (2012) The handling of loops in Talmudic logic with application to odd and even loops in argumentation. In: Rydeheard D, Vronkov A, Korovina M, (eds) Proceedings of Howard 60, Manchester, pp 1–25
- Abraham M, Gabbay D, Schild U Future oriented determination of entitites in Talmudic logic. J AI Law (Submitted)
- Broersen, J, Herzig, A, Troquard, N (2006) From coalition logic to STIT. Electr Note Theor Comput Sci 157: pp. 23-35 CrossRef
- Gabbay D (1987) The declarative past and imperative future: executable temporal logic for the interactive systems. In: Proceedings of temporal logic in specification, LNCS 398. Springer, Berlin, pp 409–448
- Gabbay, DM (1994) Temporal logic: mathematical foundations and computational aspects. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Gabbay, DM (2000) Temporal logic: mathematical foundations and computational aspects. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Gabbay, DM Dynamics of practical reasoning: a position paper. In: Segerberg, K, Zakhryaschev, M, Rijke, M, Wansing, H eds. (2001) Advances of modal logic. CSLI Publications, CUP, Cambridge, pp. 197-242
- Governatori, G, Rotolo, A (2010) Changing legal systems: legal abrogations and annulments in defeasible logic. Logic J IGPL 18: pp. 157-194 CrossRef
- Contrary to time conditionals in Talmudic logic
Artificial Intelligence and Law
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 145-179
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors