Arguing Towards Truth: The Case of the Periodic Table
- Mark Weinstein
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Recently Erik Scerri has published an influential philosophical history of the development of the Periodic Table. Following Scerri’s account, I will explore the main thread of the arguments responsible for the remarkable advancement of scientific understanding that the Periodic Table represents. I will argue that the history of disputation at crucial junctures in the debate shows sensitivity to the aspects of truth that are captured by my model of truth in inquiry. The availability of a clear and explicit model of truth in inquiry is of crucial importance as a response to post-modernist and other relativistic accounts of inquiry. It shows that despite such apparent sociological constraints as acceptability a robust theory of truth is available as a foundation for evaluating argumentation.
- Johnson, R.H. 2000. Manifest rationality. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Scerri, E.R. 2007. The periodic table: Its story and its significance. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Weinstein, M. 1999. Truth in argument. In Proceedings of the fourth international conference on argumentation, ed. F.H. van Eemeren, R. Grootendorst, J.J. Blair, and C.A. Willard, 168–171. Amsterdam: SICSAR.
- Weinstein, M. 2002. Exemplifying an internal realist theory of truth. Philosophica 69(1): 11–40.
- Weinstein, M. 2006a. A metamathematical extension of the Toulmin agenda. In Arguing on the Toulmin Model: New essays on argument analysis and evaluation, ed. D. Hitchcock and J. Verheif, 49–69. Dordrecht, The Netherland: Springer.
- Weinstein, M. 2006b. Three naturalistic accounts of the epistemology of argument. Informal Logic 26(1): 63–89.
- Weinstein, M. 2007a. A perspective on truth. In Reason reclaimed, ed. H. Hanson and R. Pinto, 91–106. Newport News, VA: Vale Press.
- Weinstein, M. 2007b. Between the two images: Reconciling the scientific and manifest images. In Proceedings of the Ontario society for the study of argument conference: Dissensus & the search for common ground, 2007. ISBN 978-0-9683461-5-0.
- Weinstein, M. 2009. A metamathematical model of emerging truth. In Dimensions of logical concepts, Coleção CLE, vol. 55, ed. J.-Y. Béziau and A. Costa-Leite, 49–64. Brazil: Campinas.
- Arguing Towards Truth: The Case of the Periodic Table
Volume 25, Issue 2 , pp 185-197
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Periodic table
- Formal model
- Industry Sectors
- Mark Weinstein (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ, USA