Clam farming quality as a management tool: A proposal based on recent studies in Northern Adriatic lagoons
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The rapid and extensive spread of the clam Tapes philippinarum in Northern Adriatic lagoons, mostly in the lagoon of Venice (550 kmq), has led to severe exploitation by mainly free fishing, thus breaching the law. To contrast this unsustainable overexploitation, to which the present decreasing clam harvests are at least partly due, the local fishing authority has recently prepared a Master Fishing Plan for clam production, which is at present under way: the free fishing system must be replaced by a licencing system aimed at regulating market supply and mainly at converting more than 1000 fishermen into clam farmers. Moreover, a number of regulations for both vessels and harvesting techniques and management rules, such as daily clam harvests and fishing times, have been established. Although these newly introduced regulations may be regarded as valuable tools for preserving both the lagoon environment and the resource itself, they do not adequately consider protection for consumers. Although the licensed water areas have been evaluated as safe according to Italian law, at present no guarantees certify the quality of the clams harvested from them, due to the fact that the lagoon of Venice has polluted areas from which clams may be collected illegally and recycled to the legal market simply by putting them into the approved licensed areas before harvesting and marketing them. This paper therefore proposes a number of measures to be undertaken within the framework of good farming practices. The aim is to improve product quality by certification procedures in all production phases, and to guarantee the definite origin of farmed clams.
- Baldwin, I.G., Kramer, K.J.M. Biological early warning systems (BEWS). In: Kramer, K.J.M. eds. (1994) Biomonitoring of Coastal Waters and Estuaries. CRC Press, Boca Raton, pp. 1-28
- Bayne, B.L. (1980) Physiological measurements of stress. Rapports et Proces-Verbaux des Reunions du Conseil International pour Exploration de la Mere 179: pp. 56-61
- Boatto, V., Galletto, L., Orel, G., Pellizzato, M., Rossetto, L., Sfriso, A., Silvestri, S., Zentilin, A. Evaluation of alternative scenarios for alieutic resources management in the Lagoon of Venice. In: Campostrini, P. eds. (2002) Scientific Research and Safeguarding of Venice. Istituto Veneto Scienze Lettere Arti, Venice, pp. 69-84
- Casale, M., Giovanardi, O., Grimm, F., Orel, G., Pessa, G. (2001) Abundance and distribution of most important clams in the lagoon of Venice during summer 1999, with particular reference to Tapes philippinarum (Adams & Reeve, 1850). Biologia Marina Mediterranea 8: pp. 413-423
- Chicharo, L., Gaspar, M.B., Vafidis, D., Marin, M.G., Da Ros, L., Pellizzato, M., Labarta, U., Reiriz, M.J., Chicharo, M.A. (2001) Impact of bivalve fisheries in the Ria Formosa Lagoon (Portugal), Venice Lagoon (Italy), and Aegean Sea (Greece): An integrated overview. ICES CM 2001/J. 08: pp. 1-30
- Da Ros, L., Marin, M.G., Nesto, N., Ford, S.E. (1998) Preliminary results of a field study on some stress-related parameters in Tapes philippinarum naturally infected by the protozoan Perkinsus sp. Marine Environmental Research 46: pp. 249-252
- Eertman, R.H.M., de Zwaan, A. Survival of the fittest: Resistance of mussels to aerial exposure. In: Kramer, K.J.M. eds. (1994) Biomonitoring of Coastal Waters and Estuaries. CRC Press, Boca Raton, pp. 269-284
- Fossato, V.U., Campesan, G., Craboledda, L., Dolci, F., Stocco, G. Persistent chemical pollutants in mussels and gobies from the Venice Lagoon. In: Lasserre, P., Marzollo, A. eds. (2000) The Venice Lagoon Ecosystem, Man and the Biosphere Series, Vol. 25.. Parthenon Publishing, N.Y and UNESCO, Paris, pp. 421-437
- Lovatelli, A. 2002. Situation of the markets in Europe and in the Mediterranean countries and promotions schemes. In: CIHEAM/IAMZ- F.A.O. (ed.), Mollusc Production in Mediterranean Countries. Zaragoza (Spain), May 27--31, 2002, 29 pp.
- Lowe, D.M., Soverchia, C., Moore, M.N. (1995) Lysosomal membrane responses in the blood and digestive cells of mussels experimentally exposed to fluoranthene. Aquatic Toxicology 33: pp. 105-112
- Marin, M.G., Nesto, N., Da Ros, L. Evaluation of biological stress indices in Tapes philippinarum from the lagoon of Venice through monitoring of natural populations and transplantation experiments. In: Faranda, F.M., Guglielmo, L., Spezie, G. eds. (2001) Mediterranean Ecosystems: Structures and Processes.. Springer-Verlag, Italy, pp. 91-94
- Monti, C. (2002) Valutazione del rischio sanitario di screening relativo ai sedimenti della laguna di Venezia. Biologi Italiani 32: pp. 14
- Moore, M.N. Molecular and cellular indices of pollutant. In: Giam, C.S., Dow, H.J.M. eds. (1986) Strategies and Advanced Techniques for Marine Pollution Studies: Mediterranean Sea. Springer, Berlin, pp. 417-435
- Nasci, C., Da Ros, L., Nesto, N., Sperni, L., Passarini, F., Pavoni, B. (2000) Biochemical and histochemical response to environmental contaminants in clam, Tapes philippinarum, transplanted to different polluted areas of Venice Lagoon, Italy. Marine Environmental Research 50: pp. 425-430
- Orel, G., Boatto, V., Sfriso, A., Pellizzato, M. Piano per la gestione delle risorse alieutiche delle lagune della Provincia di Venezia. In: Ass. Pesca, eds. (2000) Provincia di Venezia. Venezia, Italy
- Pellizzato, M. 1990a. Acclimatisation of the Tapes philippinarum species and the first experimental rearing basins in Italy. In: E.S.A.V. (ed.), Tapes philippinarum – Biologia e Sperimentazione, Venezia, Italy, pp. 157–170.
- Pellizzato, M. 1990b. Clam culture in Italy: Venice Lagoon. In: E.S.A.V. (ed.), Tapes philippinarum– Biologia e Sperimentazione, Venezia, Italy, pp. 206–208.
- Pellizzato, M. and Giorgiutti, E. 1997. Attrezzi e sistemi di pesca nella provincia di Venezia. A.S.A.P. e Provincia di Venezia Assessorato Pesca (ed.), Venezia, Italy, 190 pp.
- Phelps, H.L., Pearson, W.H., Hardy, J.T. (1985) Clam burrowing behaviour and mortality related to sediment copper. Marine Pollution Bulletin 16: pp. 309-313
- Pranovi, F., Giovanardi, O. (1994) The impact of hydraulic dredging for short-necked clams, Tapes spp., on the infaunal community in the lagoon of Venice. Scientia Marina 58: pp. 345-353
- Pranovi, F., Giovanardi, O., Franceschini, G. (1998) Recolonization dynamics in areas disturbed by bottom fishing gears. Hydrobiologia 375/376: pp. 125-135
- Sfriso, A., Marcomini, A., Zanette, M. (1995) Heavy metals in sediments, SPM and phytozoobenthos of the lagoon of Venice. Marine Pollution Bulletin 2: pp. 116-124
- Sfriso, A., Birkemeyer, T., Ghetti, P.F. (2001) Benthic macrofauna changes in areas of Venice lagoon populated by seagrasses or seaweeds. Marine Environmental Research 52: pp. 323-349
- Shin, P.K.S., Ng, A.W.M., Cheung, R.Y.H. (2002) Burrowing responses of the short-neck clam Ruditapes philippinarum to sediment contaminants. Marine Pollution Bulletin 45: pp. 113-139
- Sobral, P., Widdows, J. (1997) Effects of elevated temperatures on the scope for growth and resistance to air exposure of the clam Ruditapes decussatus (L.), from southern Portugal. Scientia Marina 61: pp. 163-171
- Solidoro, C., Pastres, R., Melaku Canu, D., Pellizzato, M., Rossi, R. (2000) Modelling the growth of Tapes philippinarum in Northern Adriatic lagoons. Marine Ecology Progress Series 199: pp. 137-148
- Sorokin, I.I., Giovanardi, O., Pranovi, F., Sorokin, P.I. (1999) Need for restricting bivalve culture in the southern basin of the Lagoon of Venice. Hydrobiologia 400: pp. 141-148
- Wenning, R., Dodge, D., Peck, B., Shearer, K., Luksemburg, W., Della Sala, S., Scazzola, R. (2000) Sceening-level ecological risk assessment of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in sediments and aquatic biota from the Venice lagoon, Italy. Chemosphere 40: pp. 1179-1187
- Clam farming quality as a management tool: A proposal based on recent studies in Northern Adriatic lagoons
Volume 13, Issue 1-2 , pp 57-66
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Lagoon of Venice
- Quality criteria
- Tapes philippinarum