Laser Diagnostic Study of the Mechanism of a Periodic Combustion Instability in a Gas Turbine Model Combustor
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To investigate the mechanisms leading to sustained thermoacoustic oscillations in swirl flames, a gas turbine model combustor was equipped with an optically accessible combustion chamber allowing the application of various laser techniques. The flame investigated was a swirled CH4/air diffusion flame (thermal power 10 kW, global equivalence ratio φ = 0.75) at atmospheric pressure which exhibited self-excited thermoacoustic oscillations at a frequency of 290 Hz. In separate experiments, the flow velocities were measured by laser Doppler velocimetry, the flame structures and heat release rates by planar laser-induced fluorescence of CH and by OH chemiluminescence, and the joint probability density functions of the major species concentrations, mixture fraction, and temperature by laser Raman scattering. All measurements were performed in a phase-locked mode, i.e., triggered with respect to the oscillating pressure level measured by a microphone. The results revealed large periodic variations of all measured quantities and showed that the heat release rate was correlated with the degree of mixing of hot products with unburned fuel/air mixtures before ignition. The thermal expansion of the reacting gases had, in turn, a strong influence on the flow field and induced a periodic motion of the inner and outer recirculation zones. The combination of all results yielded a deeper understanding of the events sustaining the oscillations in the flame under investigation. The results also represent a data base that can be used for the validation and improvement of CFD codes.
- Correa, S.M., Power generation and aeropropulsion gas turbines: From combustion science to combustion technology. Proc. Combust. Inst. 27 (1998) 1793–1807.
- Dowling, A.P. and Hubbard, S., Instability in lean premixed combustors. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 214 (2000) 317–332.
- Keller, J.J., Thermoacoustic oscillations in combustion chambers of gas turbines. AJAA J. 33 (1995) 2280–2287.
- Paschereit, C.O., Gutmark, E. and Weisenstein, W., Structure and control of thermoacoustic instabilities in a gas-turbine combustor. Combust. Sci. Technol. 138 (1998) 213–232.
- Candel, S., Combustion dynamics and control: Progress and challenges. Proc. Combust. Inst. 29 (2002) 1–28.
- Lefebvre, A.H., Gas Turbine Combustion. Taylor & Francis, 1999.
- Docquier, N. and Candel, S., Combustion control and sensors: A review. Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 28 (2002) 107–150. CrossRef
- Emiris, I. and Whitelaw, J.H., Control of combustion oscillations. Combust. Sci. Technol. 175 (2003) 157–184.
- Cao, M., Eickhoff, H., Joos, F. and Simon, B., Influence of operating conditions on the atomization and distribution of fuel by air blast atomizers. In: ASME Propulsion and Energetics Panel 70th Symposium, Crete, AGARD Conference Proceedings, Vol. 422, 1987, pp. 8.1–8.8.
- Giezendanner, R., Keck, O., Weigand, P., Meier, W., Meier, U., Stricker, W. and Aigner, M., Periodic combustion instabilities in a swirl burner studied by phase-locked planar laser-induced fluorescence. Combust. Sci. Technol. 175 (2003) 721–741.
- Luque, J. and Crosley, D.R., Electronic transition moment and rotational transition probabilities in CH. II. B2Σ -X2Π system. J. Chem. Phys. 104 (1996) 3907–3913.
- Carter, C.D., Donbar, J.M. and Driscoll, J.F., Simultaneous CH planar laser-induced fluorescence and particle imaging velocimetry in turbulent nonpremixed flames. Appl. Phys. B 66 (1998) 129–132. CrossRef
- Luque, J., Klein-Douwel, R.J.H., Jeffries, J.B. and Crosley, D.R., Collisional processes near the CH B2Σ v′ = 0, 1 predissociation limit in laser-induced fluorescence flame diagnostics. Appl. Phys. B 71 (2000) 85–94.
- Najm, H.N., Paul, P.H., Mueller, C.J. and Wyckoff, P.S., On the adequacy of certain experimental observables as measurements of flame burning rate. Combust. Flame 113 (1998) 312–332. CrossRef
- Tanahashi, M., Nada, Y., Tsukinari, S., Saitoh, T., Miyauchi, T. and Choi, G.M., Local flame structure of turbulent premixed flames – DNS and CH/OH PLIF. In: Proceedings of the 4th Symposium on Smart Control of Turbulence, Tokyo, 2003, pp. 81–91.
- Smith, G.P., Luque, J., Park, C., Jeffries, J.B. and Crosley, D.R., Low pressure flame determination of rate constants for OH(A) and CH(A) chemiluminescence. Combust. Flame 131 (2002) 59–69. CrossRef
- Haber, L.C. and Vandsburger, U., A global reaction model for OH* chemiluminescence applied to a laminar flat-flame burner. Combust. Sci. Technol. 175 (2003) 1859–1891.
- Haber, L.C., Vandsburger, U., Saunders, W.R. and Khanna, V.K., An examination of the relationship between chemiluminescent light emissions and heat release rate under non-adiabatic conditions. Proc. Int. Gas Turbine Inst., Munich paper0121 (2000) 1–8.
- Keck, O., Meier, W., Stricker, W. and Aigner, M., Establishment of a confined swirling natural gas/air flame as a standard flame: Temperature and species distributions from laser Raman measurements. Combust. Sci. Technol. 174 (2002) 117–151.
- Weigand, P., Lückerath, R. and Meier, W., Documentation of flat premixed laminar CH4/air standard flames: Temperatures and species concentrations. http://www.dlr.de/VT/Datenarchiv, 2003.
- Bergmann, V., Meier, W., Wolff, D. and Stricker, W., Application of spontaneous Raman and Rayleigh scattering and 2D LIF for the characterization of a turbulent CH4/H2/N2 jet diffusion flame. Appl. Phys. B 66 (1998) 489–502. CrossRef
- Keck, O., Untersuchungen zur Chemie-Turbulenz-Wechselwirkung an eingeschlossenen verdrallten Erdgas/Luft-Diffusionsflammen. PhD Thesis, Universität Stuttgart, 2002.
- Meier, W., Duan, X.R. and Weigand, P., Investigations of swirl flames in a gas turbine model combustor. Part II. Turbulence-chemistry interactions. Combust. Flame (2005) (in press).
- Duan, X.R., Meier, W., Weigand, P. and Lehmann, B., Phase-resolved laser Raman scattering and laser Doppler velocimetry applied to periodic instabilities in a gas turbine model combustor. Appl. Phys. B 80 (2005) 389–396. CrossRef
- Meier, W., Duan, X.R. and Weigand, P., Reaction zone structures and mixing characteristics of partially premixed swirling CH4/air flames in a gas turbine model combustor. Proc. Combust. Inst. 30 (2005) 835–842.
- Weigand, P., Meier, W., Duan, X.R., Lehmann, B., Stricker, W. and Aigner, M., Investigations of swirl flames in a gas turbine model combustor. Part I. Flow field, structures, temperature and species distributions. Combust. Flame (2005) (in press).
- Eckstein, J., Freitag, E., Hirsch, C. and Sattelmayer, T., Experimental study on the role of entropy waves in low-frequency oscillations for a diffusion burner. In: Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Vienna, GT-2004-54163, 2004, pp. 1–8.
- Laser Diagnostic Study of the Mechanism of a Periodic Combustion Instability in a Gas Turbine Model Combustor
Flow, Turbulence and Combustion
Volume 75, Issue 1-4 , pp 275-292
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- swirl flames
- laser diagnostic
- validation measurements
- Industry Sectors