March 2010, Volume 37, Issue 1-2, pp 120-124
A Public Health Approach to Children’s Mental Health Services: Possible Solutions to Current Service Inadequacies
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Joint Commission on Mental Illness and Health. (1961). Action for Mental Health: The Final Report of the Joint Commission on Mental Illness and Health. New York: Basic Books.
- Blueprint for a Healthier America: Modernizing the Federal Public Health System to Focus on Prevention and Preparedness. (2008). Washington, DC: Trust for America’s Health. Retrieved from Trust for America’s Health website: http://healthyamericans.org/assets/files/Blueprint.pdf.
- Cappella, E., Frazier, S. L., Atkins, M. S., Schoenwald, S. E., & Glisson, C. (2008). Enhancing schools’ capacity to support children in poverty: An ecological model of school-based mental health services. Administration Policy Mental Health, 35, 395–409. CrossRef
- Costello, E. J., Compton, S. N., Keeler, G., & Angold, A. (2003). Relationships between poverty and psychopathology: A natural experiment. Journal of American Medical Association, 290, 2023–2029. CrossRef
- Crump, D. (2007). Developing a prevention-oriented mental health system in Washington State. Olympia: Washington State Board of Health.
- Evans, M. E. (2009). Prevention of mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders in youth: The Institute of Medicine report and implications for nursing. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 22(3), 154–159. CrossRef
- Frazier, S. L., Cappella, E., & Atkins, M. S. (2007). Linking mental health and after school systems for children in urban poverty: Preventing problems, promoting possibilities. Administration Policy Mental Health & Mental Health Services Research, 34, 389–399. CrossRef
- Ganju, V. (2008). State mental health policy: Mental health transformation: Moving toward a public health, early-intervention approach in Texas. Psychiatric Services, 59(1), 17–20. CrossRef
- Guiding Principles for Collaboration between Mental Health and Public Health. (2005). (Mental Health May 2005). Washington, DC: National Association of County & City Health Officials. Retrieved from NACCHO website: http://archive.naccho.org/documents/MHGP_proof5_20_051.pdf.
- Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law. (2005). Integration of Mental Health in the Public Health System. Washington, DC: Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law.
- Leventhal, T., & Brooks-Gunn, J. (2003). Children and youth in neighborhood contexts. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 12(1), 27–31. CrossRef
- McDonald, C., & Murray, R. M. (2000). Early and late environmental risk factors for schizophrenia. Brain Research Reviews, 31(Issues 2–3), 130–137. CrossRef
- McKay, M. M. (2005). Understanding Inner city child mental health need and trauma exposure: Implications for Preparing Urban Service Providers. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 75(2), 201–210. CrossRef
- Olds, D., Henderson, C., Jr., Cole, R., Eckenrode, J., Kitzman, H., Luckey, D., et al. (1998). Long-term effects of nurse home visitation on children’s criminal and antisocial behavior. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, 289, 1234–1238.
- Rutter, M. (2006). Genes and behavior: Nature–nurture interplay explained. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
- Sampson, R. J., Raudenbush, S. W., & Earls, F. (1997). Neighborhoods and violent crime: A multilevel study of collective efficacy. Science, 277, 918–924. CrossRef
- Stiffman, A. R., Alexander-Eitzman, B., Silmere, H., Osborne, V., & Brown, E. (2007). From early to late adolescence: American Indian youths’ behavioral trajectories and their major influences. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 46(7), 1–10. CrossRef
- Stiffman, A. R., Hadley-Ives, E., Elze, D., Johnson, S., & Doré, P. (1999). Impact of environment on adolescents’ mental health and behavior: Structural Equation Modeling. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 69(1), 73–86. CrossRef
- Stiffman, A. R., Pescosolido, B., & Cabassa, L. (2004). Building a model to understand youth service access: The Gateway Provider Model. Mental Health Services Research, 6, 189–198. CrossRef
- Vanderbilt-Adriance, E., & Shaw, D. S. (2006). Neighborhood risk and the development of resilience. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1094, 359–362. (resilience in children). CrossRef
- A Public Health Approach to Children’s Mental Health Services: Possible Solutions to Current Service Inadequacies
Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research
Volume 37, Issue 1-2 , pp 120-124
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington University, Campus Box 1196, St. Louis, MO, 63130, USA
- 2. Massachusetts Behavioral Health Partnership/ValueOptions, Boston, MA, USA
- 3. Stanford School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
- 4. College of Nursing, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
- 5. Division of Special Populations and Minority Services, Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities, Gatlinburg, TN, USA
- 6. Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA