The Content of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Counseling Reported by Patients in a National Survey
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined counseling content reported by a national sample of persons receiving care for alcohol, drug or mental health (ADM) problems in a year. The sample included 2,722 individuals over 18 who reported past year mental health or substance abuse care or assessments in a nationally representative survey conducted in 2000–2001. Counseling domains approximating commonly practiced or evidence-based approaches for depression, anxiety, or substance abuse were assessed. Patient self-report may be one useful way of tracking whether components of standard therapies are implemented in practice.
- Bartels, S. J. (2002). Quality, costs and effectiveness of services for older adults with mental disorders: A selective overview of recent advances in geriatric mental health services research. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 15(11), 411–416. CrossRef
- Beck, A. T. (1991). Cognitive therapy. A 30-year retrospective. American Psychologist, 46(4), 368–375. CrossRef
- Beck, A., Rush, J., Shaw, B., et al. (1979). Cognitive therapy of depression. The Guilford Press: New York.
- Bergner, M., Bobbitt, R. A., Carter, W. B., et al. (1981). The sickness impact profile: Development and final revision of a health status measure. Medical Care, 19(8), 787–805. CrossRef
- Bien, T. H., MIller, William. R., & Tonigan, Scott. (1993). Brief Interventions for alcohol problems: A review. Addiction, 88, 315–336. CrossRef
- De Babor, T., la Fuente, J. R., & Saunders, J. (1992). The alcohol use disorders identification test (Audit) guidelines for use in primary care. Geneva Switzeland: World Health Organization.
- Harman, J. S., Edlund Mark, J., & Fortney, J. C. (2004). Disparities in the adequacy of depression treatment in the United States. Psychiatric Services, 55(12), 1379–1385. CrossRef
- Jaycox, L., Miranda, J., Meredith, L., et al. (2003). Impact of a primary care quality improvement intervention on use of psychotherapy for depression. Mental Health Services Research, 5, 109–120. CrossRef
- Kemper, P. B. D., Corrigan, J. M., Cunningham, P. J., Felt, S. M., Grossman, J. M., Kohn LT, S. P. R., et al. (1996). The design of the community tracking study: A longitudinal study of health system change and its effects on people. Inquiry, 33(2), 195–206.
- Kessler, R. C., Andrews, G., Mroczek, D., et al. (1998). The world health organization composite international diagnositic interview short-form (CIDI-SF). International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, 7(4), 171–185. CrossRef
- Klerman, G. L. (1989). Evaluating the efficacy of psychotherapy for depression: The USA experience. European Archives of Psychiatry and Neurological Sciences, 238(5–6), 240–246. CrossRef
- Koch, G., Freeman, D. H., & Freeman, J. L. (1975). Strategies in multivariate analysis of data from complex surveys. International Statistical Review, 43, 59–78. CrossRef
- Norquist, G., & Regier, D. (1996). The epidemiology of psychiatric disorders and the defacto mental health care system. Annual Review of Medicine, 47, 473–479. CrossRef
- Olfson, M., Marcus, S., & Druss, B. (2002a). National trends in the use of outpatient psychotherapy. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 159(11), 1914–1920. CrossRef
- Olfson, M., Marcus, S., & Druss, B. (2002b). National trends in the use of outpatient psychotherapy. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 159, 1914–1920. CrossRef
- Olfson, M., Marcus, S. C., & Druss, B. (2002c). National trends in the outpatient treatment of depression. JAMA, 287(2), 203–209. CrossRef
- Regier, D. A., Goldberg, I. D., & Taube, C. A. (1978). The defacto US mental health service system: A public health perspective. Archives of General Psychiatry, 35(6), 685–693.
- Rubin, D. (1987). Multiple imputation for non-response in surveys. New York, NY: Wiley. CrossRef
- Klap, R., Unroe, K. T., & Unützer, J. (2003). Caring for mental illness. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatric, 11, 517–524.
- Sanderson, W. (2002, 2002). Why we need evidenced based psychotherapy practice guidelines. Medscape general medicine Retrieved 4, 4.
- Sturm, R., Gresenz, C., Sherbourne, C., et al. (1999). The design of healthcare for communities: A study of health care delivery for alcohol, drug abuse, and mental health conditions. Inquiry, 36(2), 221–233.
- SUDAAN. (1997). Software for the statistical analysis of correlated data. Cary, NC: Research Triangle Institute.
- The Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT). (1992). Guidlines for use in primary care. Switzerland, World Health Organization: Geneva.
- Wang, P. S., Lane, M., & Olfsun, M. (2005). Twelve-month use of mental health services in the United States: Results from the national comorbidity survey replication. Archives of General Psychiatry, 62(6), 629–640. CrossRef
- Ware, J., Jr., Kosinski, M., & Keller, S. D. (1996). A 12-item short-form health survey: Construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity. Medical Care, 34(3), 220–233. CrossRef
- Weisner, C., & Schimdt, L. (1992). Gender disparities in the treatment for alchohol disparities. Journal of American Medical Association, 268(14), 1872–1876. CrossRef
- Weissman, M. M., Markowitz, J. C., & Klerman, G. L. (2007). Clinician’s quick guide to interpersonal psychotherapy. Oxford University Press: Oxford.
- West, J. C., Wilk, J. E., & Rae, D. S. (2003). Financial disincentives for the provision of psychotherapy. Psychiatric Services, 54(12), 1582–1583. 1588. CrossRef
- Winston, A. (2003). Practical psychotherapy: Integrated psychotherapy. Psychiatry Services, 54(2), 152–154. CrossRef
- Young, A. S., Chinman, M., Forquer, S. L., et al. (2005). Use of a consumer-led intervention to improve provider competencies. Psychiatric Services, 56(8), 967–975. CrossRef
- The Content of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Counseling Reported by Patients in a National Survey
Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research
Volume 37, Issue 3 , pp 279-286
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Counseling content
- Evidence based approaches
- Patient self report