Capitation and Racial and Ethnic Differences in Use and Cost of Public Mental Health Services
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study investigated racial and ethnic differences in the probability of mental health service use and costs of treatment before and after the implementation of capitated financing. Models were created to test effects on utilization and costs of African American, Latinos, and white mental health consumers. As service use and costs declined under capitation, Latino, and white levels of use and cost tended to converge. African American utilization patterns in the capitated areas tended to parallel their white counterparts. Differential rejection by, or exclusion of, African American and Latino consumers did not appear to occur in response to capitation.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Bloom, J. R., Hu, T. W., Wallace, N. T., Cuffel, B., Hausman, J. W., Sheu, M. L., et al. (2002). Mental health costs and access under alternative capitation systems in Colorado. Health Services Research, 37(2), 315–340. CrossRef
- Catalano, R. A., Libby, A. M., Snowden, L. R., & Cuellar, A. E. (2000). The effect of capitated financing on mental health services for children and youth: The Colorado experience. American Journal of Public Health, 90, 1861–1865.
- Center for Mental Health Services. (2000). The cultural competence standards in managed mental health care for four underserved/underrepresented racial/ethnic groups. Retrieved May 31, 2006, from http://www.wiche.edu/MentalHealth/Cultural_Comp/index
- Christianson, J. B., Manning, W. G., Lurie, N., Stoner, T. J., Gray, D. Z., Popkin, M., et al. (1995). Utah’s prepaid mental health plan: the first year. Health Affairs, 14, 160–172. CrossRef
- Cooper, P. L., Crum, R. M., & Ford, D. E. (1994). Characteristics of patients with major depression who received care in general medical and specialty mental health settings. Medical Care, 32, 15–24. CrossRef
- Cuffel, B. J., Bloom, J. R., Wallace, N. T., Hausman, J. W., & Hu, T. W. (2002). Two-year outcomes of fee-for-service and capitated Medicaid programs for people with severe mental illness. Health Services Research, 37, 341–359. CrossRef
- Lopez, S., & Lopez, S. R. (1997). Cultural competence in psychotherapy: A guide for clinicians and their supervisors. In C. E. Watkins (Ed.), Handbook of psychotherapy supervision (pp. 570–588). New York: Wiley.
- Masland, M. C., Piccagli, G., Cuffel, B. J., & Snowden, L. (1996). Planning and implementation of capitated mental health programs in the public section. Evaluation and Program Planning, 19(3), 253–262. CrossRef
- Mechanic, D. (2003). Managing behavioral health in Medicaid. New England Journal of Medicine, 348, 1914–1916. CrossRef
- Ray, W. A., Daugherty, J. R., & Meador, K. G. (2003). Effect of a mental health “carve-out” program on the continuity of antipsychotic therapy. New England Journal of Medicine, 348, 1885–1894. CrossRef
- Snowden, L. R. (2003). Bias in mental health assessment and intervention: Theory and evidence. American Journal of Public Health, 93, 239–242. CrossRef
- Snowden, L. R., Cuellar, A. E., & Libby,A. M. (2003). Minority youth in foster care: Managed care and access to mental health treatment. Medical Care, 41, 264–274. CrossRef
- Snowden, L. R., & Pingitore, D. (2002). Frequency and scope of mental health service delivery to African Americans in primary care. Mental Health Services Research, 4, 123–130. CrossRef
- Snowden, L. R., & Thomas, K. (2000). Medicaid and African American outpatient mental health treatment. Mental Health Services Research, 2, 115–120. CrossRef
- Stata Corp. (1997). Stata statistical software: Release 5.0. College Station. TX: Stata Corporation.
- Stoner, T., Manning, W., Christiansen, J., Gray, D. Z., & Marriott, S. (1997). Expenditures for mental health services in the Utah prepaid mental health plan. Health Care Financing Review, 18(3), 73–93.
- Thomas, K. C., & Snowden, L. R. (2001). Minority response to health insurance coverage for mental health services. Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics, 4, 35–41.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. (2001). Mental health: Culture, race, and ethnicity: A supplement to mental health: A report to the surgeon general. Rockville, MD.
- Vega, W. A., Kolody, B., Aguilar-Gaxiola, S., & Catalano, R. (1999). Gaps in service utilization by Mexican Americans with mental health problems. American Journal of Psychiatry, 156, 928–934.
- Wallace, N. T., Bloom, J. R., Hu, T. W., & Libby, A. M. (2005). Psychiatric medication treatment patterns for adults with schizophrenia under Medicaid mental health managed care in Colorado. Psychiatric Services, 56(11), 1402–1408. CrossRef
About this Article
- Capitation and Racial and Ethnic Differences in Use and Cost of Public Mental Health Services
Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research
Volume 34, Issue 5 , pp 456-464
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Mental health
- Ethnic differences
- African American
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Social Welfare, University of California, Berkeley, 120 Haviland Hall, Berkeley, CA, 94720-7400, USA
- 3. Mark O. Hatfield School of Government, Portland State University, P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR, 97207-0751, USA
- 2. School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, 2140 Shattuck Ave. #309, Berkeley, CA, 94720, USA