Managing performance and power consumption in a server farm
- Isi Mitrani
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We examine the problem of managing a server farm in a way that attempts to satisfy the conflicting objectives of high performance and low power consumption. A subset of servers is designated as ‘reserve’. The reserves are powered up when the number of jobs in the system is sufficiently high, and are powered down when that number is sufficiently low. Powering up takes an interval of time during which the reserves consume power but do not serve jobs. The question of how to choose the number of reserves, and the up and down thresholds, is answered by analyzing a suitable queueing model and minimizing an appropriate cost function. Heuristics and numerical results are also presented.
- Altiok, T. (1997). Performance analysis of manufacturing systems. Berlin: Springer. CrossRef
- Artalejo, J. R., Economou, A., & Lopez-Herrero, M. J. (2005). Analysis of a multiserver queue with setup times. Queueing Systems Theory Application, 51(1–2), 53–76. CrossRef
- Berl, A., Gelenbe, E., di Girolamo, M., Giuliani, G., de Meer, H., Dang, M. Q., & Pentikousis, K. (2010). Energy-efficient Cloud Computing. The Computer Journal.
- Chase, J. S., Anderson, D. C., Thakar, P. N., Vahdat, A. M., & Doyle, R. P. (2001). Managing energy and server resources in hosting centers. In Procs. 18th ACM symp. on operating systems principles (SOSP’01), New York.
- Chen, Y., Xia, F., Shang, D., & Yacovlev, A. (2008). Fine grain stochastic modelling and analysis of low power portable devices with dynamic power management. In Procs., UK perf. eval. workshop (UKPEW’08), London.
- Gandhi, A., Harchol-Balter, M., & Adan, I. (2010). Server farms with setup costs. Performance Evaluation, 67(11), 1–22.
- Gelenbe, E., & Silvestri, S. (2009). Reducing power consumption in wired networks. In Procs. 24th int. symp. on computer and information sciences (ISCIS’09), North Cyprus.
- Greenberg, A., Hamilton, J., Maltz, D. A., & Patel, P. (2009). The cost of a Cloud: research problems in data center networks. Computer Communication Review, 39(1), 68–73. CrossRef
- Latouche, G., Jacobs, P. A., & Gaver, D. P. (1984). Finite Markov chain models skip-free in one direction. Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, 31, 571–588. CrossRef
- Mitrani, I., & Chakka, R. (1995). Spectral expansion solution for a class of Markov models: application and comparison with the matrix-geometric method. Performance Evaluation, 23(3), 241–260. CrossRef
- Slegers, J., Thomas, N., & Mitrani, I. (2008). Dynamic server allocation for power and performance. In S. Kounev, I. Gorton, & K. Sachs (Eds.), Lecture notes in computer science: Vol. 5119 (pp. 247–261). Berlin: Springer.
- Urgaonkar, B., Shenoy, P., Chandra, A., Goyal, P., & Wood, T. (2008). Agile dynamic provisioning of multi-tier Internet applications. ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems, 3, 1–39. CrossRef
- Managing performance and power consumption in a server farm
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 202, Issue 1 , pp 121-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Service Provisioning
- Cloud Computing
- Performance measures
- Power consumption
- Queueing models
- Industry Sectors
- Isi Mitrani (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle, NE1 7RU, UK