A hybrid search method for the vehicle routing problem with time windows
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Vehicle Routing Problems have been extensively analyzed to reduce transportation costs. More particularly, the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows (VRPTW) imposes the period of time of customer availability as a constraint, a common characteristic in real world situations. Using minimization of the total distance as the main objective to be fulfilled, this work implements an efficient algorithm which associates non-monotonic Simulated Annealing to Hill-Climbing and Random Restart. The algorithm is compared to the best results published in the literature for the 56 Solomon instances and it is shown how statistical methods can be used to boost the performance of the method.
- Alvarenga, G. B., & Mateus, G. R. (2004). A two-phase genetic and set partitioning approach for the vehicle routing problem with time windows. In Fourth international conference on hybrid intelligent systems (HIS04). IEEE Computer Society Press.
- Alvarenga, G. B., Mateus, G. R., & de Tomi, G. (2007). A genetic and set partitioning two-phase approach for the vehicle routing problem with time windows. Computers & Operations Research, 34, 1561–1584. CrossRef
- Bräysy, O., Dullaert, W., & Gendreau, M. (2004). Evolutionary algorithms for the vehicle routing problem with time windows (Internal Report STF90 A04406). SINTEF ICT, Department of Optimization, Norway.
- Bräysy, O., & Gendreau, M. (2001a). Metaheuristics for the vehicle routing problem with time windows (Internal Report STF42 A01025). SINTEF Applied Mathematics, Department of Optimization, Norway.
- Bräysy, O., & Gendreau, M. (2001b). Route construction and local search algorithms for the vehicle routing problem with time windows (Internal Report STF42 A01024). SINTEF Applied Mathematics, Department of Optimisation, Norway.
- Chambers, J. M., Freeny, A., & Heiberger, R. M. (1992). Analysis of variance; designed experiments. In J. M. Chambers & T. J. Hastie (Eds.), Statistical models in S. Wadsworth & Brooks/Cole. Chap. 5.
- Cordeau, J. F., Laporte, G., & Mercier, A. (2000). A unified tabu search heuristic for vehicle routing problems with time windows (Working Paper CRT-00-03). Centre for Research on Transportation. Montreal. Canada.
- Cormen, T. H., Leiserson, C. E., & Rivest, R. L. (1999). Introduction to algorithms. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Dantzig, G. B., & Ramser, R. H. (1959). The truck dispatching problem. Management Science, 6, 80. CrossRef
- De Backer, B., & Furnon, V. (1997). Meta-heuristics in constraint programming experiments with tabu search on the vehicle routing problem. In Second international conference on metaheuristics (MIC’97). Sophia Antipolis, France.
- de Oliveira, H. C. B., de Souza, M. M., Alvarenga, G. B., & Silva, R. M. A. (2004). An adaptation of a genetic algorithm for the vehicle routing problem with time windows. Infocomp Journal of Computer Science, 51–58.
- de Oliveira, H. C. B., Vasconcelos, G. C., & Alvarenga, G. B. (2005). An evolutionary approach for the vehicle routing problem with time windows. In XXXVII SBPO—Brazilian symposium on operations research. Gramado, Brazil.
- Eiben, E., & Smith, J. E. (2003). Introduction to evolutionary computing. Natural computing series. Berlin: MIT Press/Springer.
- Fraga, M. C. P. (2006). A hybrid algorithm based on ant colony and path reconnection for solving the VRPTW. In 37th Brazilian symposium on operations research. Goiania, GO, Brazil.
- Garey, M. R., & Johnson, D. S. (1990). Computers and intractability; A guide to the theory of NP-completeness. New York: Freeman.
- Ibaraki, T., Kubo, M., Masuda, T., Uno, T., & Yagiura, M. (2001). Effective local search algorithms for the vehicle routing problem with general time windows (Working Paper). Department of Applied Mathematics and Physics, Kyoto University, Japan.
- Kilby, P., Prosser, P., & Shaw, P. (1999). Guided local search for the vehicle routing problem with time windows. In S. Voss, S. Martello, I. H. Osman, & C. Roucairol (Eds.), META-HEURISTICS advances and trends in local search paradigms for optimization (pp. 473–486). Boston: Kluwer Academic.
- King, G. F., & Mast, C. F. (1997). Excess travel: causes. Extent and consequences. Transportation Research Record, 1111, 126–134.
- Kirkpatrick, S., Gellat, D., & Vecchi, M.P. (1983). Optimizations by simulated annealing. Science, 220, 671–680. CrossRef
- Larsen, J. (1999). Parallelization of the vehicle routing problem with time windows. Phd Thesis. Department of Mathematical Modeling. Technical University of Denmark.
- Lenstra, J. A., & Rinnooy, K. (1981). Complexity of vehicle routing and scheduling problems. Networks, 11, 221–227. CrossRef
- Ombuki, B., Ross, B. J., & Hanshar, F. (2006). Multi-objective genetic algorithms for vehicle routing problem with time windows. Applied Intelligence, 24, 17–30. CrossRef
- Papadimitriou, C. H., & Steiglitz, K. (1982). Combinatorial optimization—Algorithms and complexity. New York: Dover.
- Riise, A., & Stølevik, M. (1999). Implementation of guided local search for the vehicle routing problem (SINTEF Internal report STF42 A99013). SINTEF Applied Mathematics, Norway.
- Rouchat, Y., & Taillard, E. D. (1995). Probabilistic diversification and intensification in local search for vehicle routing. Journal of Heuristics, 1, 147–167. CrossRef
- Royston, P. (1995). A remark on algorithm AS 181: The W test for normality. Applied Statistics, 44, 547–551. CrossRef
- Russell, S. J., & Norvig, P. (2003). Artificial intelligence: A modern approach. New York: Prentice Hall.
- Searle, S. R. (1971). Linear models. New York: Wiley.
- Shaw, P. (1998). Using constraint programming and local search methods to solve vehicle routing problems. In M. Maher & J.-F. Puget (Eds.), Principles and practice of constraint programming, CP98. Lecture notes in computer science (pp. 417–431). Berlin: Springer. CrossRef
- Solomon, M. M. (1987). Algorithms for the vehicle routing problem and scheduling problem with time window constraints. Operational Research, 35, 254–265.
- Thangiah, S. R., Osman, I. H., & Sun, T. (1994). Hybrid genetic algorithm simulated annealing and tabu search methods for vehicle routing problem with time windows (Technical Report 27). Computer Science Department. Slippery Rock University.
- A hybrid search method for the vehicle routing problem with time windows
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 180, Issue 1 , pp 125-144
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Vehicle routing problems
- Hybrid systems
- Simulated annealing
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Exact Sciences, Federal University of Alfenas, Rua Gabriel Monteiro da Silva, 714, Centro, 37130-000, Alfenas, MG, Brazil
- 2. Center for Informatics, Federal University of Pernambuco, Av. Prof. Luiz Freire S/N, Cidade Universitária, 50732-970, Recife, PE, Brazil