Validating DEA as a ranking tool: An application of DEA to assess performance in higher education
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There is a general interest in ranking schemes applied to complex entities described by multiple attributes. Published rankings for universities are in great demand but are also highly controversial. We compare two classification and ranking schemes involving universities; one from a published report, ‘Top American Research Universities’ by the University of Florida's TheCenter and the other using DEA. Both approaches use the same data and model. We compare the two methods and discover important equivalences. We conclude that the critical aspect in classification and ranking is the model. This suggests that DEA is a suitable tool for these types of studies.
- Adolphson, D.L., G.C. Cornia, and L.C. Walters. (1990). “A Unified Framework for Classifying DEA Models.” In H.E. Bradley (ed.), Operational Research ’90: Selected Papers from the Twelfth IFORS International Conference on Operational Research, Athens, Greece, 25 June 1990, PP. 647–657. Pergamon Press (1991).
- Ahn, T., Arnold, V., Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W. (1989) DEA and Ratio Efficiency Analyses for Public Institutions of Higher Learning in Texas. Research in Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting 5: pp. 165-185
- Ahn, T., Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W. (1988) Some Statistical and DEA Evaluations of Relative Efficiencies of Public and Private Institutions of Public and Private Institutions of Higher Learning. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences 22: pp. 259-269 CrossRef
- Ahn, T. and L.M. Seiford. (1993). “Sensitivity of DEA to Models and Variable Sets in a Hypothesis Test Setting: The Efficiency of University Operations.” Creative and Innovative Approaches to the Science of Management, Quorum Books: Westport, Connecticut, PP. 191–208.
- Banker, R.D., Chang, H., Janakiraman, S.N., Konstans, C. (2004) A Balanced Scorecard Analysis of Performance Metrics. European Journal of Operational Research 154: pp. 423-436 CrossRef
- Banker, R.D., Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W. (1984) Some Models for Estimating Technological and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis. Management Science 30: pp. 1078-1092 CrossRef
- Barnett, V. (1976) The Ordering of Multivariate Data. J. Royal Statistical Soc. A 139: pp. 318-344
- Barr, R.S., M.L. Durchholz, and L. Seiford. (2000). “Peeling the DEA Onion: Layering and Rank-Ordering DMUs Using Tiered DEA.” Southern Methodist University Technical Report, USA.
- Breu, T.M., Raab, R.L. (1994) Efficiency and Perceived Quality of the Nation's ‘Top 25’ National Universities and National Liberal Arts Colleges: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Higher Education. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences 28: pp. 35-45 CrossRef
- Caporaletti, L.E., J. H. Dulá, and N. K. Womer. (1999). Performance Evaluation Based on Multiple Attributes with Nonparametric Frontiers. Omega, 27, 637–645.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W., Golany, B., Seiford, L.M., Stutz, J. (1985) Foundations of Data Envelopment Analysis for Pareto-Koopmans Efficient Empirical Production Functions. Journal of Econometrics 30: pp. 91-107 CrossRef
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W., Rhodes, E. (1978) Measuring the Efficiency of Decision Making Units. European Journal of Operational Research 2: pp. 429-444 CrossRef
- Johnson, S.A., Zhu, J. (2003) Identifying ‘Best’ Applicants in Recruiting Using Data Envelopment Analysis. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences 37: pp. 125-139 CrossRef
- Liu, R. (1990) On a Notion of Data Depth Based on Random Simplices. The Annals of Statistics 18: pp. 405-414 CrossRef
- Lombardi, J., E.D. Capaldi, D.D. Craig, L.N. Collis, D.S. Gater, and D.A. Roak. (2002). “The Top American Research Universities.” TheCenter's Annual Report, www.thecenter.ufl.edu.
- Sarrico, C.S., Hogan, S.M., Dyson, R.G., Athanassopoulos, A.D. (1997) Data Envelopment Analysis and University Selection. Journal of the Operational Research Society 48: pp. 1163-1177 CrossRef
- Zhu, J. (2001). Multidimensional Quality-of-Life Measure with an Application to Fortune's Best Cities. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 35(4), 263–284.
- Zhu, J. DEAFrontier, www.deafrontier.com.
- Validating DEA as a ranking tool: An application of DEA to assess performance in higher education
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 145, Issue 1 , pp 339-365
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Nonparametric efficient frontiers
- Data envelopment analysis (DEA)
- Tiered data envelopment analysis (TDEA)
- Linear programming
- Industry Sectors