Properties of functions with monotone graphs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A metric space (X,d) is monotone if there is a linear order < on X and a constant c>0 such that d(x,y)≦cd(x,z) for all x<y<z∈X. Properties of continuous functions with monotone graph (considered as a planar set) are investigated. It is shown, for example, that such a function can be almost nowhere differentiable, but must be differentiable at a dense set, and that the Hausdorff dimension of the graph of such a function is 1.
- Alberti, G., Csörnyei, M., Laczkovich, M., Preiss, D. (2000/01) Denjoy–Young–Saks theorem for approximate derivatives revisited. Real Anal. Exchange 26: pp. 485-488
- P. C. Allaart and K. Kawamura, The Takagi function: a survey (2011) (arXiv: 1110.1691v2).
- Eilenberg, S. (1941) Ordered topological spaces. Amer. J. Math. 63: pp. 39-45 CrossRef
- Falconer, K. J. (1990) Fractal Geometry: Mathematical Foundations and Applications. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Chichester
- Hewitt, E., Stromberg, K. (1965) Real and Abstract Analysis. A Modern Treatment of the Theory of Functions of a Real Variable. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Hrušák, M., Zindulka, O. (2012) Cardinal invariants of monotone and porous sets. J. Symbolic Logic 77: pp. 159-173 CrossRef
- T. Keleti, A. Máthé and O. Zindulka, Hausdorff dimension of metric spaces and Lipschitz maps onto cubes, Int. Math. Res. Notices, to appear.
- Mattila, P. (1995) Geometry of Sets and Measures in Euclidean Spaces: Fractals and Rectifiability. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge CrossRef
- Nekvinda, A., Zindulka, O. (2011) A Cantor set in the plane that is not σ-monotone. Fund. Math. 213: pp. 221-232 CrossRef
- Nekvinda, A., Zindulka, O. (2012) Monotone metric spaces. Order 29: pp. 545-558 CrossRef
- Saks, S. (1964) Theory of the Integral. Dover Publications Inc., New York
- Zajíček, L. (1987/88) Porosity and σ-porosity. Real Anal. Exchange 13: pp. 314-350
- L. Zajíček, On σ-porous sets in abstract spaces, Abstr. Appl. Anal. (2005), 509–534, MR 2201041.
- Zelený, M. (2004/05) An absolutely continuous function with non-σ-porous graph. Real Anal. Exchange 30: pp. 547-563
- Zindulka, O. (2012) Universal measure zero, large Hausdorff dimension, and nearly Lipschitz maps. Fund. Math. 218: pp. 95-119 CrossRef
- O. Zindulka, Fractal properties of monotone spaces and sets, in preparation.
- O. Zindulka, Mapping Borel sets onto balls and self-similar sets by Lipschitz and nearly Lipschitz maps, in preparation.
- Properties of functions with monotone graphs
Acta Mathematica Hungarica
Volume 142, Issue 1 , pp 1-30
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- monotone metric space
- continuous function
- approximate derivative
- absolutely continuous function
- σ-porous set
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Instituto de Matemáticas, UNAM, Apartado Postal 61-3, Xangari, 58089, Morelia, Michoacán, México
- 2. Alfréd Rényi Institute of Mathematics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, H-1053, Budapest, Reáltanoda u. 13–15, Hungary
- 3. Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Czech Technical University, Thákurova 7, 16000, Prague 6, Czech Republic
- 4. Department of Mathematical Analysis, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Sokolovská 83, 18675, Prague 8, Czech Republic