Freewheel charge-pump controlled single-inductor multiple-output step-up DC–DC converter
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents a freewheel-charge-pump-controlled design for a single-inductor multiple-output (SIMO) DC–DC Converter. By applying the freewheel-charge-pump-controlled (FCPC) technique, the freewheel switching time is reused, and two extra charge-pump outputs are provided by time recycling, with no cost in time sequences. The converter has two step-up outputs and two charge-pump outputs that can be higher or lower than the input supply. The converter utilizes a 1 μH inductor, 4.7 μF charge-pump capacitors and 33 μF output capacitors at a frequency of 1 MHz. The proposed converter shows low cross-regulation and achieves a maximum loading current of 70 mA. Fabricated in a 0.18-μm CMOS process, the proposed circuit occupies 1.3 × 1.3 mm2. Experimental results demonstrate that the converter successfully generates four well-regulated outputs with a single inductor. The supply voltage ranged from 1.6 to 2.5 V and the load regulation performance was 0.08, 0.05, 1.7, and 1.9 mV/mA for VO1, VO2, VO3 and VO4, respectively.
- Tacca, HE (1998) Single-switch two-output flyback-forward converter operation. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 13: pp. 903-911 CrossRef
- Lee, Y-H, Yang, Y-Y, Wang, S-J, Chen, K-H, Lin, Y-H, Chen, Y-K, Huang, C-C (2011) Interleaving energy-conservation mode (IECM) control in single-inductor dual-output (SIDO) step-down converters with 91% peak efficiency. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 46: pp. 904-915 CrossRef
- Dancy, AP, Amirtharajah, R, Chandrakasan, AP (2000) High-efficiency multiple-output DC–DC conversion for low-voltage systems. IEEE Transactions on VLSI Systems 8: pp. 252-263 CrossRef
- Su, W, Li, Y, Gong, X, Hong, Z, Killat, D (2010) A dual-mode single-inductor dual-output switching converter with small ripple. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 25: pp. 614-623 CrossRef
- Sharma, A., & Pavan, Y. S. (2006). A single inductor multiple output converter with adaptive delta current mode control. In IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), pp. 5643–5646, May 2006.
- Belloni, M., Bonizzoni, E., Kiseliovas, E., Malcovati, P., Maloberti, F., Peltola, T., & Teppo, T. (2008). A 4-output single-inductor DC–DC buck converter with self-boosted switch drivers and 1.2 A total output current. In IEEE ISSCC Digest of Technical Papers, pp. 444–626, February 2008.
- Trevisan, D, Mattavelli, P, Tenti, P (2008) Digital control of single-inductor multiple-output step-down DC–DC converters in CCM. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 55: pp. 3476-3483 CrossRef
- Jing, X., Mok, P. K. T., & Lee, M. C. (2009). A wide-load-range single-inductor dual-output boost regulator with minimized cross-regulation by constant-charge-auto-hopping (CCAH) control. In Proceedings of the IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (CICC), pp. 299–302, September 2009.
- TPS65120: Single-Inductor Quadruple-Output TFT LCD Power Supply. 2004, Texas Instruments Incorporated.
- Le, H-P, Chae, C-S, Lee, K-C, Wang, S-W, Cho, G-H, Cho, G-H (2007) A single-inductor switching DC–DC converter with five outputs and ordered power-distributive control. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 42: pp. 2706-2714 CrossRef
- Chae, C-S, Le, H-P, Lee, K-C, Cho, G-H, Cho, G-H (2009) A single-inductor step-up DC–DC switching converter with bipolar outputs for active matrix OLED mobile display panels. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 44: pp. 509-524 CrossRef
- Hoon, S. K. Culp, N. Chen, J., & Maloberti, F. (2005). A PWM dual-output DC/DC boost converter in a 0.13 μm CMOS technology for cellular-phone backlight application. In Proceedings of the European Solid-State Circuits Conference, pp. 81–84, September 2005.
- Kwon, D, Rincón-Mora, GA (2009) Single-inductor–multiple-output switching DC–DC converters. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems—II: Express Briefs 56: pp. 614-618 CrossRef
- Li, T. (2000). Single inductor multiple output boost regulator. U.S. Patent 6075295, June 2000.
- Ma, D, Ki, WH, Tsui, CY (2003) A pseudo-CCM/DCM SIMO switching converter with freewheel switching. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 38: pp. 1007-1014 CrossRef
- Huang, M-H, Chen, K-H (2009) Single-inductor multi-output (SIMO) DC–DC converters with high light-load efficiency and minimized cross-regulation for portable devices. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 44: pp. 1099-1111 CrossRef
- Huang, M-H, Tsai, Y-N, Chen, K-H (2010) Sub-1V single-inductor dual-output (SIDO) DC–DC converter with adaptive load-tracking control (ALTC) for single-cell-powered systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 25: pp. 1713-1724 CrossRef
- Bonizzoni, E., Borghetti, F., Malcovati, P., Maloberiti, F., & Niessen, B. A 200 mA 93% peak efficiency single-inductor dual-output DC–DC buck converter. In IEEE ISSCC Digest of Technical Papers, pp. 526–527, February 2007.
- Freewheel charge-pump controlled single-inductor multiple-output step-up DC–DC converter
Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing
Volume 74, Issue 1 , pp 215-225
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Freewheel-charge-pump-controlled (FCPC)
- Freewheel switching
- Charge-pump regulator
- Pseudo-continuous conduction mode (PCCM)
- Single-inductor multiple-output (SIMO) converter
- Industry Sectors