1–8 GHz high efficiency single-stage travelling wave power amplifier
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes a Class-A/AB wideband power amplifier that comprises of a single-stage transistor travelling wave structure in which capacitive coupling and frequency dependent lossy artificial-line are employed at the input of the active device. The proposed technique significantly enhances the amplifier’s gain-bandwidth product, input match and gain flatness performance. To ensure the amplifier delivers a predefined power to the load over its entire operating band 2-to-8 GHz a broadband load-pull technique was applied at the output of the amplifier. To avoid reduction in the amplifier’s bandwidth resulting from parasitic capacitive effects associated with the off-chip choke inductor a wideband RF choke was designed. The 1.31 × 2.93 mm2 power amplifier was fabricated using 0.25 μm GaAs pHEMT MMIC process. The measurement results show that the proposed amplifier delivers an average P sat of 29.5 dBm and P out,1 dB of 26 dBm, and the corresponding PAE levels are 55 and 35 % for the P sat and P out,1 dB, respectively.
- Lin, S, Eron, M, Fathy, AE (2009) Development of ultra wideband, high efficiency, distributed power amplifiers using discrete GaN HEMTs. IET Circuits, Devices and Systems 3: pp. 135-142 CrossRef
- Wu, Q, Wu, Y, Fu, J, Jin, B, Lee, JC (2005) An approach to ultra-broadband medium-power MMIC cascode-pair distributed amplifier design. IEICE Transactions 88-C: pp. 1353-1357
- Colantonio, P, Giannini, F, Giofre, R, Piazzon, L (2008) High-efficiency ultra-wideband power amplifier in GaN technology. Electronics Letters 44: pp. 130-131 CrossRef
- Sewiolo, B, Fischer, G, Weigel, R (2009) A 12-GHz high-efficiency tapered traveling-wave power amplifier with novel power matched cascode gain cells using SiGe HBT transistors. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 57: pp. 2329-2336 CrossRef
- Xie, C, Pavio, A (2007) Development of GaN HEMT based high power high efficiency distributed power amplifier for military applications. Military Communications Conference (MILCOM), Washington
- Narendra, K, Limiti, E, Paoloni, C, Collantes, JM, Jansen, RH, Yarman, BS (2010) Vectorially combined distributed power amplifier with load pull impedance determination. Electronics Letters 46: pp. 1137-1138 CrossRef
- Krishnamurthy, K, Veturi, R (2000) Broadband GaAs MESFET and GaN HEMT resistive feedback power amplifiers. IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits 35: pp. 1285-1292 CrossRef
- Zhongzi, C., et al. (2009). A 4–9 GHz 10 W wideband power amplifier. Journal of Semiconductors, 30(2).
- Xu, J, Wang, Z, Zhang, Y, Ma, L (2011) High-efficiency tapered distributed power amplifier with 2 μm GaAs HBT process. Microwave and Optical Technology Letters 53: pp. 1924-1927 CrossRef
- Banyamin, B, Berwick, M (2000) The gain advantages of four cascaded single stage distributed amplifier configurations. Microwave Symposium Digest, IEEE MTT-S International 3: pp. 1325-1328
- Kinghorn, A. M. (2008). Where next for airborne AESA technology? In IEEE radar conference proceedings, Rome (pp. 287–290). Rome.
- Abstract on Call For Papers, IEEE topical conference on RF power amplifiers for wireless and radio application. http://www.radiowirelessweek.org/pawr/. Accessed 20 January 2012.
- Nelson, SR, Macksey, HM (1981) 2-18 GHz, high-efficiency, medium-power GaAs FET amplifiers. Microwave Symposium Digest, IEEE MTT-S International vol: pp. 31-33
- Reese, E., Allen, D., Lee, C., & Nguyen, T. (2010). Wideband power amplifier MMICs utilizing GaN on SiC. In IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Anaheim (pp. 1230–1233). Anaheim.
- Itoh, Y, Mochizuki, M, Nii, M, Kohno, Y, Takagi, T (1996) An ultrabroadband monolithic lossy match power amplifier using prematching circuits. Electronics and Communications in Japan (Part II: Electronics) 79: pp. 24-38 CrossRef
- Green, BM, Tilak, V, Sungjae, L, Hyungtak, K, Smart, JA, Webb, KJ, Shealy, JR, Eastman, LF (2001) High-power broadband AlGaN/GaN HEMT MMICs on SiC substrates. Microwave Symposium Digest, IEEE MTT-S International 2: pp. 1059-1062
- Sayed, A, Boeck, G (2005) Two-stage ultrawide-band 5-W power amplifier using SiC MESFET. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 53: pp. 2441-2449 CrossRef
- Ayasli, Y (1982) A monolithic GaAs 1-13-GHz traveling-wave amplifier. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques MTT-30: pp. 976-981 CrossRef
- Campovecchio, M (1996) Large signal design method of distributed power amplifiers applied to a 2–18 GHz GaAs chip exhibiting high power density performances. International Journal of Microwave and MMW CAE 6: pp. 259-269
- Wong, TTY (1993) Fundamentals of distributed amplifiers. Artech House, Boston, MA
- Ayasli, Y, Miller, SW, Mozzi, R, Hanes, LK (1984) Capacitively coupled traveling-wave power amplifier. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques MTT-32: pp. 1704-1709 CrossRef
- Virdee, AS, Virdee, BS (2000) Experimental performance of ultra broadband amplifier design concept employing cascaded reactively terminated single-stage distributed amplifier configuration. Electronics Letters 36: pp. 1554-1555 CrossRef
- Virdee, B. S., Yazgi, M., & Virdee, A. S. (2007). Cascaded single-stage amplifier with improved gain-frequency performance using frequency-dependent lossy artificial lines. In Proceedings of the 2nd European microwave integrated circuits conference, Munich (pp. 184–186). Munich.
- Krishnamurthy, K., Long, S. I., & Rodwell M. J. W. (1999). Cascode-delay-matched distributed amplifiers for efficient broadband microwave power amplification. In IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, vol. 2 of 4, Anaheim, CA, (pp. 819–822). Anaheim, CA.
- Yazgi, M., Sayginer, M., Virdee, B. S., Toker, A., & Kuntman, H. (2010). Single-stage travelling wave amplifier for power applications. In Proceedings of OPTIM’2010: 12th international conference on optimization of electrical and electronic equipment, CD-ROM, Romania (pp. 949–952). Romania.
- Cripps, SC (2006) RF power amplifier design for wireless communications. Artech House, Norwood, MA
- Sayginer, M., Yazgi, M., & Kuntman, H. (2011). 0.1–10 GHz 0.5 W high efficiency single transistor GaAs PHEMT power amplifier design using load-pull simulations. In SİU’2011: IEEE 19. Signal Sinyal İşleme ve İletişim Uygulamaları Kurultayı, Kemer, Antalya, (pp. 841–844, 20–22). Kemer, Antalya.
- Sechi, F, Bujatti, M (2009) Solid-state microwave high-power amplifiers. Artech House, Norwood, MA
- Virdee, BS (2004) Broadband microwave amplifiers. Artech House, Norwood, MA
- 1–8 GHz high efficiency single-stage travelling wave power amplifier
Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing
Volume 74, Issue 1 , pp 111-119
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Wideband power amplifiers
- GaAs PHEMT
- Load-pull technique
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Faculty of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, 34469, Maslak, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2. Faculty of Computing, Centre for Communications Technology, London Metropolitan University, 166-220 Holloway Road, London, N7 8DB, UK