Variance estimation using judgment post-stratification
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider the problem of estimating the variance of a population using judgment post-stratification. By conditioning on the observed vector of ordered in-stratum sample sizes, we develop a conditionally unbiased nonparametric estimator that outperforms the sample variance except when the rankings are very poor. This estimator also outperforms the standard unbiased nonparametric variance estimator from unbalanced ranked-set sampling.
- Chen, H., Stasny, E. A., Wolfe, D. A. (2005). Ranked set sampling for efficient estimation of a population proportion. Statistics in Medicine, 24, 3319–3329.
- David, H. A., Nagaraja, H. N. (2003). Order Statistics (3rd ed.). New York: Wiley.
- Dell, T. R., Clutter, J. L. (1972). Ranked set sampling with order statistics background. Biometrics, 28, 545–555.
- Du, J., MacEachern, S. N. (2008). Judgement post-stratification for designed experiments. Biometrics, 64, 345–354.
- Frey, J., Feeman, T. G. (2012). An improved mean estimator for judgment post-stratification. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 56, 418–426.
- Frey, J., Ozturk, O. (2011). Constrained estimation using judgment post-stratification. Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, 63, 769–789.
- Halls, L. K., Dell, T. R. (1966). Trial of ranked-set sampling for forage yields. Forest Science, 12, 22–26.
- Howard, R. W., Jones, S. C., Mauldin, J. K., Beal, R. H. (1982). Abundance, distribution, and colony size estimates for Reticulitermes spp. (Isopter: Rhinotermitidae) in Southern Mississippi. Environmental Entomology, 11, 1290–1293.
- Kvam, P. H. (2003). Ranked set sampling based on binary water quality data with covariates. Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 8, 271–279.
- Lange, K. (1999). Numerical Analysis for Statisticians. New York: Springer.
- Lohr, S. L. (1999). Sampling: Design and Analysis. CA, Duxbury: Pacific Grove.
- MacEachern, S. N., Ozturk, O., Wolfe, D. A., Stasny, E. A. (2002). A new ranked set sample estimator of variance. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B, 64, 177–188.
- MacEachern, S. N., Stasny, E. A., Wolfe, D. A. (2004). Judgement post-stratification with imprecise rankings. Biometrics, 60, 207–215.
- McIntyre, G. A. (1952). A method for unbiased selective sampling, using ranked sets. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, 3, 385–390.
- McIntyre, G. A. (2005). A method for unbiased selective sampling, using ranked sets. The American Statistician, 59, 230–232 (Originally appeared in Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, 3, 385–390).
- Perron, F., Sinha, B. K. (2004). Estimation of variance based on a ranked set sample. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 120, 21–28.
- Stokes, L. (1980). Estimation of variance using judgment ordered ranked set samples. Biometrics, 36, 35–42.
- Wang, X., Lim, J., Stokes, L. (2008). A nonparametric mean estimator for judgment poststratified data. Biometrics, 64, 355–363.
- Wang, X., Stokes, L., Lim, J., Chen, M. (2006). Concomitants of multivariate order statistics with application to judgment poststratification. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 101, 1693–1704.
- Wang, X., Wang, K., Lim, J. (2012). Isotonized CDF estimation from judgment poststratification data with empty strata. Biometrics, 68, 194–202.
- Yu, P. L. H., Lam, K., Sinha, B. K. (1999). Estimation of normal variance based on balanced and unbalanced ranked set samples. Environmental and Ecological Statistics, 6, 23–45.
- Variance estimation using judgment post-stratification
Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics
Volume 65, Issue 3 , pp 551-569
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Imperfect rankings
- Judgment ranking
- Ranked-set sampling
- Industry Sectors