Coupon collector’s problems with statistical applications to rankings
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Some new exact distributions on coupon collector’s waiting time problems are given based on a generalized Pólya urn sampling. In particular, usual Pólya urn sampling generates an exchangeable random sequence. In this case, an alternative derivation of the distribution is also obtained from de Finetti’s theorem. In coupon collector’s waiting time problems with \(m\) kinds of coupons, the observed order of \(m\) kinds of coupons corresponds to a permutation of \(m\) letters uniquely. Using the property of coupon collector’s problems, a statistical model on the permutation group of \(m\) letters is proposed for analyzing ranked data. In the model, as the parameters mean the proportion of the \(m\) kinds of coupons, the observed ranking can be intuitively understood. Some examples of statistical inference are also given.
- Charalambides, ChA (2002) Enumerative combinatorics. Chapman& Hall/CRC, Boca Raton
- Charalambides, ChA (2005) Combinatorial methods in discrete distributions. Wiley, New York CrossRef
- Diaconis, P. (1988). Group representations in probability and statistics. Lecture notes—Monograph Series 11, IMS.
- Graham, R. L., Knuth, D. E., Patashnik, O. (1989). Concrete mathematics. Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.
- Hall, P., Miller, H. (2010). Modeling the variability of rankings. Annals of Statistics, 38, 2562–2677.
- Inoue, K., Aki, S. (2008). Method for studying generalized birthday and coupon collection problems. Communications in Statistics—Simulation and Computation, 37, 844–862.
- Johnson, N. L., Kotz, S. (1977). Urn models and their applications. New York: Wiley.
- Kobza, J. E., Jacobson, S. H., Vaughan, D. E. (2007). A survey of the coupon collector’s problem with random sample sizes. Methodology and Computing in Applied Probability, 9, 573–584.
- Mahmoud, HM (2008) Pólya urn models. CRC Press, Boca Raton CrossRef
- Coupon collector’s problems with statistical applications to rankings
Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics
Volume 65, Issue 3 , pp 571-587
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Generalized Pólya urn
- Dirichlet distribution
- Likelihood ratio test
- Industry Sectors