Airport Gate Scheduling with Time Windows
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In contrast to the existing airport gate assignment studies where flight have fixed schedules, we consider the more realistic situation where flight arrival and departure times can change. Although we minimize walking distances (or travel time) in our objective function, the model is easily adapted for other material handling costs including baggage and cargo costs. Our objectives are achieved through gate assignments, where time slots alloted to aircraft at gates deviate from scheduled slots minimally. Further, the model can be applied to cross-docking optimization in areas other than airports, such as freight terminals where material arrival times (via trucks, ships) can fluctuate. The solution approach uses insert and interval exchange moves together with a time shift algorithm. We then use these neighborhood moves in Tabu Search and Memetic Algorithms. Computational results are provided and verify that our heuristics work well in small cases and much better in large cases when compared with CPLEX solver.
- Babic, O., Teodorovic, D., Tosic, V. (1984) Aircraft Stand Assignment to Minimize Walking. Journal of Transportation Engineering 110: pp. 55-66 CrossRef
- Baron, P. (1969) A Simulation Analysis of Airport Terminal Operations. Transportation Research 3: pp. 481-491
- Bartholdi, J., Gue, K. (2000) Reducing Labor Costs in an LTL Cross-docking Terminal. Operations Research 48: pp. 823-832
- Bihr, R. (1990) A Conceptual Solution to the Aircraft Gate Assignment Problem Using 0,1 Linear Programming. Computers & Industrial Engineering 19: pp. 280-284
- Braaksma, J. & Shortreed, J. (1971). Improving Airport Gate Usage with Critical Path Method. Transportation Engineering Journal of ASCE 97 187–203.
- Cheng, Y. (1998a). Network-based Simulation of Aircraft at Gates in Airport Terminals. Journal of Transportation Engineering 188–196.
- Cheng, Y. (1998b) A Rule-based Reactive Model for the Simulation of Aircraft on Airport Gates. Knowledge-based Systems 10: pp. 225-236
- Ding, H., Lim, A., Rodrigues, B. & Zhu, Y. (2003a). New Heuristics for the Over-constrained Flight to Gate Assignments. Journal of the Operational Research Society, to appear.
- Ding, H., Lim, A., Rodrigues, B. & Zhu, Y. (2003b). The Over-constrained Airport Gate Assignment Problem. Computers & Operational Research, to appear.
- Glover, F. & Laguna, M. (1997). Tabu Search. Kluwer Acadamic Publishers.
- Goldberg, D. & Lingle, R. (1985). Alleles, Loci, and The Traveling Salesman Problem.
- Haghani, A., Chen, M.-C. (1998) Optimizing Gate Assignments at Airport Terminals. Transportation Research A 32: pp. 437-454
- Holland, J. (1975). Adaptation in Natural and Artifical Systems. The University of Michigan Press.
- Mangoubi, R., Mathaisel, D. (1985) Optimizing Gate Assignments at Airport Terminals. Transportation Science 19: pp. 173-188 CrossRef
- Moscato, P. (1989). On Evolution, Search, Optimization, Genetic Algorithms and Martial Arts: Towards Memetic Algorithms. Technical Report, Caltech Concurrent Computation Program, C#P Report 826.
- Obata, T. (1979) The Quadratic Assignment Problem: Evaluation of Exact and Heuristic Algorithms. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York
- Oliver, I., Smith, D. & Holland, J. (1987). A Study of Permutation Crossover Operators on the TSP.
- Tsui, L.Y., Chang, C.H. (1992) Optimal Solution to Dock Door Assignment Problem. Computers and Indutrial Engineering 23: pp. 283-286
- Wirasinghe, S., Bandara, S. (1990) Airport Gate Position Estimation for Minimum Total Costs - Approximate Closed Form Solution. Tranportation Research B 24B: pp. 287-297
- Xu, J. & Bailey, G. (2001). The Airport Gate Assignment Problem: Mathematical Model and a Tabu Search Algorithm. In Proceedings of the 34th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences-2001.
- Yan, S., Chang, C.-M. (1998) A Network Model for Gate Assignment. Journal of Advanced Transportation 32: pp. 176-189 CrossRef
- Airport Gate Scheduling with Time Windows
Artificial Intelligence Review
Volume 24, Issue 1 , pp 5-31
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- aircraft gate scheduling
- tabu search
- memetic algorithm
- Industry Sectors