Evaluation of the Effectiveness of HIV Voluntary Counseling and Testing Trainings for Clinicians in the Odessa Region of Ukraine
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In Ukraine, only 28 % of HIV-infected individuals are aware of their HIV status. Expansion of voluntary HIV counseling and testing (VCT) in primary and specialty health care settings holds promise for increasing the number of people who know their HIV status and can access care. To build capacity among health care providers to deliver VCT, we conducted two-day trainings on basic HIV knowledge and on VCT procedures in the Odessa region of Ukraine. The training program was developed by local trainers in collaboration with faculty from the US Southeast AIDS Training and Education Center and was delivered in the clinical settings where trainees worked (n = 392). We assessed training effectiveness in terms of change in knowledge among clinician trainees, comparing HIV specialists and nonspecialists and those working in urban and rural clinical settings. All else being equal, compared with their urban HIV-specialist peers, trainees who were rural nonspecialists demonstrated significantly greater increases in general HIV knowledge scores. This effort demonstrates that brief, on-site training programs support the expansion of VCT by increasing the knowledge and skills of rural nonspecialist clinicians to levels equal with urban HIV specialists.
- HIV-infection in Ukraine: informational bulletin #35. Kyiv: Ministry of Health of Ukraine, Ukrainian Center on AIDS Prevention; 2011.
- HIV-infection in Ukraine: Informational bulletin #37. Kyiv: Ministry of Health of Ukraine, Ukrainian Center on AIDS Prevention; 2012.
- World Health Organization. Scaling up HIV testing and counseling in the WHO European region as an essential component of efforts to achieve universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support. Policy framework. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe; 2010.
- Ukraine: national report on monitoring progress towards the UNGASS declaration of commitment on HIV/AIDS. Reporting period: January 2008–December 2009. Kyiv: Ministry of Health of Ukraine; 2010.
- Guidelines on voluntary counseling and testing on HIV (VCT Protocol). Ministry of Health of Ukraine. Kyiv; 2005.
- Bateganya M, Abdulwadud OA, Kiene SM. Home-based HIV voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) for improving uptake of HIV testing (review). The Cochrane Library. 2010; issue 7. doi:10.1002/14651858.
- Yoder PS, Yared A. Integrated family planning and VCT services in Ethiopia: experiences of health care providers. Qualitative Research Studies 14. Calverton: Macro International Inc.; 2008.
- Christopoulos KA, Koester K, Weiser S, Lane T, Myers JJ, Morin SF. A comparative evaluation of the process of developing and implementing an emergency department HIV testing program. Implement Sci. 2011;30(6):30. CrossRef
- Grimshaw JM, Russell IT. Effect of clinical guidelines on medical practice: a systematic review of rigorous evaluations. Lancet. 1993;342(8883):1317–22. CrossRef
- UNAIDS. Tools for evaluating HIV voluntary counseling and testing. UNAIDS; 2000. p. 59.
- Myers JJ, Modica C, Dufour MS, Bernstein C, McNamara K. Routine rapid HIV screening in six community health centers serving populations at risk. J Gen Intern Med. 2009;24(12):1269–74. CrossRef
- Culyba RJ, McGee BT, Weyer D. Changing HIV clinical knowledge and skill in context: the impact of longitudinal training in the southeast United States. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2011;22(2):128–39. CrossRef
- Buchko V, Buchko O, Kiriazova T, Neduzhko O, Pakhomov V. Voluntary counseling and testing: a reference guide for counselors and trainers. Odessa: Future Without AIDS Foundations; 2008 (in Russia).
- Ministry of Health. Order 385 of October 28. On approval of the list of health, medical, pharmaceutical positions and positions for junior specialists in pharmaceutical education in health care. Kyiv: Ministry of Health; 2012.
- Buskin SE, Lin L, Houyuan Y, McGough JP. HIV/AIDS knowledge and attitudes in Chinese medical professionals and students before and after an informational lecture on HIV/AIDS. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2002;8(6):38–43. CrossRef
- Banach MA, Gifford BR, Holodniy M. Representational fluency in HIV clinical practice: a model of instructor discourse. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2007;27(3):149–56. CrossRef
- Pozdnyakov S, Postnov O, Slavina N, Gerasimenko T, Neduzhko O. Spatial characteristics of the HIV epidemic in Odessa region, Ukraine. Paper presented at the 4th international conference on Health GIS, New Delhi, 29–30 July 2011.
- Linsk N, Mitchell CG, Despotes J, Cook JA, Razzano LA, Grey DD, Wolf M. Evaluating HIV mental health training: changes in practice and knowledge for social workers and case managers. Health Soc Work. 2002;27(1):67–70. CrossRef
- Cook PF, Friedman R, Lord A, Bradley-Springer LA. Outcomes of multimodal training for healthcare professionals at an AIDS Education and Training Center. Eval Health Prof. 2009;32(1):3–22. CrossRef
- Williams AB, Wang H, Burgess J, Wu C, Gong Y, Li Y. Effectiveness of an HIV/AIDS educational programme for Chinese nurses. J Adv Nurs. 2006;53(6):710–20. CrossRef
- Goniewicz M, Włoszczak-Szubzda A, Niemcewicz M, Witt M, Marciniak-Niemcewicz A, Jarosz MJ. Injuries caused by sharp instruments among healthcare workers—international and polish perspectives. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2012;19(3):523–7.
- Buskin SE, Li L, Yin H, Yu T, McGough J. HIV/AIDS knowledge and attitudes in Chinese medical professionals and students before and after an informational lecture on HIV/AIDS. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2002;8(6):38–43. CrossRef
- Pisal H, Sutar S, Sastry J, Kapadia-Kundu N, Joshi A, Joshi M. Nurses’ health education program in India increases HIV knowledge and reduces fear. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2007;18(6):32–43. CrossRef
- Mockiene V. The impact of an education intervention on nurses’ knowledge of and attitudes towards HIV and willingness to take care of HIV-positive people in Lithuania. PhD thesis, University of Tampere, Finland; 2010.
- Ministry of Health. Guidelines for health professionals providing HIV counseling and testing services. Kyiv: Ministry of Health; 2011.
- Evaluation of the Effectiveness of HIV Voluntary Counseling and Testing Trainings for Clinicians in the Odessa Region of Ukraine
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 18, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 89-95
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Voluntary counseling and testing
- Provider training
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Future Without AIDS Charity Foundation, Odessa, Ukraine
- 2. Ukrainian Institute on Public Health Policy, Kyiv, Ukraine
- 3. University of California, San Francisco, 50 Beale Street, Suite 1300, San Francisco, CA, 94105, USA
- 4. Center for High-Value Health Care, UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA, USA