Prevalence of Child and Adult Sexual Abuse and Risk Taking Practices Among HIV Serodiscordant African-American Couples
- … show all 0 hide
This study reports the prevalence of child (CSA) and adult (ASA) sexual abuse among 535 African American HIV serodiscordant couples from four major United State cities, and its relationship to personal and couple related vulnerabilities and HIV risk factors. As part of a randomized, clinical trial, CSA and ASA histories were obtained through face-to-face interviews. Results indicate that HIV positive women were significantly more likely to report one kind of abuse (32.32%), either before or since age 18 or both (32.6%). HIV-positive men (34.9%) were significantly more likely to report CSA than HIV-negative men (22.0%). Overall, 72% of couples reported that one or both had CSA histories. These findings underscore the heightened emotional vulnerability, and STI and HIV transmission risk taking practices, associated with sexual abuse. Sexual abuse histories among couples should be assessed to better understand how these histories may contribute to couples dynamics and risk-taking practices.
The NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention Trial for African American Couples Study Group
Nabila El-Bassel, DSW (PI) - Columbia
Gina Wingood, ScD, MPH (PI) - Emory
Gail E. Wyatt, PhD (PI) - UCLA
John B. Jemmott, III, PhD (PI) - Penn
Willo Pequegnat, PhD - NIMH
J. Richard Landis, PhD (PI) - DCC
Scarlett Bellamy, ScD - DCC
Louisa Gilbert, PhD Candidate - Columbia
Robert H. Remien, PhD - Columbia
Susan Witte, PhD - Columbia
Elwin Wu, PhD - Columbia
Ralph DiClemente, PhD - Emory
Hector Myers, PhD - UCLA
Loretta Sweet Jemmott, PhD, RN, FAAN - Penn
David Metzger, PhD - Penn
Data Coordinating Center (DCC - Penn)
Shawn Ballard, MS
Christopher Helker, RN, MSPH
Nancy Robinson, PhD
Lynne Allen-Taylor, PhD
Dina Appleby, MS
Evelyn Crowley, PhD
Angela Ankoma MSSW, MPH - Columbia
Deidre Ashton, MSSW - Columbia
Dawn A. Goddard, MSS - Columbia
Tamu Daniel, MPH - Emory
Tina Henderson, PhD - UCLA
Inna Rivkin, PhD - UCLA
Cynthia M. Green, MA - Penn
Jeffery Brently, MSW - Columbia
Rebecca D. Cheraquit, MSSW - Columbia
Deborah Gray - Columbia
Linda Hakim - Columbia
Bright Sarfo - Columbia
Kijana Saunders - Columbia
Dawn Simmons, MSW - Columbia
Keisha Wilson, MSW - Columbia
Nikia D. Braxton, MPH - Emory
Christina Camp, PhD - Emory
Anita Conner, MPH - Emory
Jevon Gibson - Emory
Alvin Harmon, PhD - Emory
Teaniese Latham, MPH - Emory
Tiffany Pennick-Walters, MPH - Emory
Kenneth Rucker - Emory
Shammara Steinback, MPH - Emory
Phillip Williams - Emory
Richard Williams, PhD - Emory
Shauni Williams - Emory
Kevin Chancy, PsyD - UCLA
Frank Levels - UCLA
Nathaniel Thomas, PhD - UCLA
Reginald Bennett, MS - Penn
Shirley Bryson, MSW - Penn
Salema Curtis, MPH - Penn
Michelle Jones, MS - Penn
Phyllis Jones, MSW - Penn
Malachi Moore, MS - Penn
Charles Patterson, MA - Penn
Marcia Penn, MS - Penn
Alicia Samuel, M.Ed. - Penn
Randy Shine, MPH - Penn
Ralph Stevenson, MA - Penn
Robert Tate, M.Ed. - Penn
Michael Taylor, MSW - Penn
Charlotte Wroton, MS - Penn
Derryck Griffith - Columbia
Pearl Johnson - Columbia
Lisa Matthews - MPH, EdD Candidate - Columbia
Rhonda Mendoza - Columbia
Allan Winkle - Columbia
Jill Daugherty, MPH - Emory
Deja Er, MPH - Emory
Linda Felix, MAT - Emory
Meklit Hailemeskal, MPH - Emory
Toya Howard - Emory
Tamika Hoyte, MPH - Emory
Jamie Smith, MPH - Emory
Lisa Smith, MPH - Emory
Les DeMorst - UCLA
Rotrease Regan, RN, MPH - UCLA
Elsa Rogers - UCLA
Karen Carter - Penn
Calvin Collier, BS - Penn
Mikia Croom, BS - Penn
Dionna Samuel, MS - Penn
Joseph Sosa, BS - Penn
Brian Taylor, BS - Penn
Tamara S. Bryan, PhD - Columbia
LaShun Robinson-Simpson, PhD - Emory
Christina Camp, PhD - Emory
Tamra Loeb, PhD - UCLA
John Williams MD - UCLA
Lynette Gueits, MPH - Penn
Cynthia Bayer, MS, CRNP - Penn
Angela Caliendo, MD, PhD - Emory
Shalonda Freeman, PhD - Emory
Jessica Ingersoll - Emory
Lisa Maslankowski, MD - Penn
Debra McGee-Smith, NP - UCLA
Patrice Moorer, MS - Emory
Michelle Mott, MSN, FNP-C - Emory
Bennie Woodard, MPH - Emory
Claudette Bannerman - Columbia
Warren Blake - Columbia
Tiffany Bratts MPH - Columbia
Olivia Copeland, Ed.D - Columbia
Daisy De Jesus-Sosa - UCLA
Adefunke Faly, MPH - Emory
Meklit Hailemeskal, MPH - Emory
Tamika Hoyte, MPH - Emory
Janet Hsu, BS - Penn
Heather Irobunda - Columbia
Shakaria Johnson, MPH - Emory
Frandy Napoleon - Columbia
Karen Williams - UCLA
Sonya Combs, MS - Penn
Mathew MacDonald, BS - Penn
Lolita Roy MSSW - Columbia
Dalena White, MBA - Penn
Pandora Woods, BS - Penn
Crystal Wyatt - Penn
- CDC. HIV/AIDS survelliance report: cases of HIV infection and AIDS in the United States and dependent areas. 2007: AIDS cases by race/ethnicity. 2008.
- CDC. STD surveillance 2006. 2008.
- U.S. Census Bureau. American community survey: data profile highlights. http://www.census.gov/acs/www/index.html. Updated 2006.
- Greenberg JB. Childhood sexual abuse and sexually transmitted diseases in adults: a review of and implications for STD/HIV programmes. Int J STD AIDS. 2001;12(12):777–83. CrossRef
- Buchacz K, van der Straten A, Saul J, Shiboski SC, Gomez CA, Padian N. Sociodemographic, behavioral, and clinical correlates of inconsistent condom use in HIV-serodiscordant heterosexual couples. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2001;28(3):289–97.
- Nelson BS, Wampler KS. Systemic effects of trauma in clinic couples: an exploratory study of secondary trauma resulting from childhood abuse. J Marital Fam Ther. 2000;26(2):171–84. CrossRef
- Mills EA. From the physical self to the social body: expressions and effects of HIV-related stigma in South Africa. J Commun Appl Soc Psychol. 2006;16(6):498–503. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/casp.899.
- van der Straten A, Vernon KA, Knight KR, Gomez CA, Padian NS. Managing HIV among serodiscordant heterosexual couples: serostatus, stigma and sex. AIDS Care. 1998;10(5):533–48. CrossRef
- Anderson SR, Miller RB. The effectiveness of therapy with couples reporting a history of childhood sexual abuse: an exploratory study. Contemp Fam Ther. 2006;28(3):353–66. CrossRef
- Colman RA, Widom CS. Childhood abuse and neglect and adult intimate relationships: a prospective study. Child Abuse Negl. 2004;28(11):1133–51. CrossRef
- Muehlenhard CL, Highby BJ, Lee RS, Bryan TS, Dodrill WA. The sexual revictimization of women and men sexually abused as children: a review of the literature. Annu Rev Sex Res. 1998;9:177–223.
- Wyatt GE. The sexual abuse of Afro-American and white-American women in childhood. Child Abuse Negl. 1985;9(4):507–19. CrossRef
- Loeb TB, Williams JK, Carmona JV, et al. Child sexual abuse: associations with the sexual functioning of adolescents and adults. Annu Rev Sex Res. 2002;13:307–45.
- Wyatt GE, Myers HF, Williams JK, et al. Does a history of trauma contribute to HIV risk for women of color? Implications for prevention and policy. Am J Public Health. 2002;92(4):660–5. CrossRef
- Briere J, Elliott DM. Sexual abuse, family environment, and psychological symptoms: on the validity of statistical control. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1993;61(2):284–8 (discussion 289–90).
- Wyatt GE, Guthrie D, Notgrass CM. Differential effects of women’s child sexual abuse and subsequent sexual revictimization. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1992;60(2):167–73. CrossRef
- Arriola KR, Louden T, Doldren MA, Fortenberry RM. A meta-analysis of the relationship of child sexual abuse to HIV risk behavior among women. Child Abuse Negl. 2005;29(6):725–46. CrossRef
- Williams JK, Wyatt GE, Rivkin I, Ramamurthi HC, Li X, Liu H. Risk reduction for HIV-positive African American and Latino men with histories of childhood sexual abuse. Arch Sex Behav. 2008;37(5):763–72. CrossRef
- Sorsoli L, Kia-Keating M, Grossman FK. “I keep that hush-hush”: male survivors of sexual abuse and the challenges of disclosure. J Couns Psychol. 2008;55(3):333–45. CrossRef
- Holmes WC, Slap GB. Sexual abuse of boys: definition, prevalence, correlates, sequelae, and management. JAMA. 1998;280(21):1855–62. CrossRef
- Davis JL, Petretic-Jackson PA. The impact of child sexual abuse on adult interpersonal functioning: a review and synthesis of the empirical literature. Aggress Viol Behav. 2000;5(3):291–328. CrossRef
- Briere JN. Child abuse trauma: theory and treatment of the lasting effects, vol. 2. London: SAGE Publications, Inc.; 1992.
- DiLillo D, Long PJ. Perceptions of couple functioning among female survivors of child sexual abuse. J Child Sex Abus. 1999;7(4):59–76. CrossRef
- Bensley LS, Van Eenwyk J, Simmons KW. Self-reported childhood sexual and physical abuse and adult HIV-risk behaviors and heavy drinking. Am J Prev Med. 2000;18(2):151–8. CrossRef
- Filipas HH, Ullman SE. Child sexual abuse, coping responses, self-blame, posttraumatic stress disorder, and adult sexual revictimization. J Interpers Violence. 2006;21(5):652–72. CrossRef
- West CM, Williams LM, Siegel JA. Adult sexual revictimization among black women sexually abused in childhood: a prospective examination of serious consequences of abuse. Child Maltreat. 2000;5(1):49–57. CrossRef
- Urquiza AJ, Goodlin-Jones BL. Child sexual abuse and adult revictimization with women of color. Violence Vict. 1994;9(3):223–32.
- DiIorio C, Hartwell T, Hansen N, NIMH Multisite HIV Prevention Trial Group. Childhood sexual abuse and risk behaviors among men at high risk for HIV infection. Am J Public Health. 2002;92(2):214–9. CrossRef
- Nelson BS, Wampler KS. Further understanding the systemic effects of childhood sexual abuse: a comparison of two groups of clinical couples. J Child Sex Abus. 2002;11(3):85–106. CrossRef
- Crosby RA, DiClemente RJ, Wingood GM, et al. Condom use and correlates of African American adolescent females’ infrequent communication with sex partners about preventing sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy. Health Educ Behav. 2002;29(2):219–31.
- Amaro H, Raj A. On the margin: power and women’s HIV risk reduction strategies. Sex Roles. 2000;42(7):723–749. http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1007059708789.
- Wyatt GE. Sociocultural and epidemiological issues in the assessment of domestic violence. J Soc Distress Homeless. 1994;3(1):7–21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02087356.
- Quina K, Harlow LL, Morokoff PJ, Burkholder G, Deiter PJ. Sexual communication in relationships: when words speak louder than actions. Sex Roles. 2000;42(7–8):523–49. CrossRef
- van der Straten A, Gomez CA, Saul J, Quan J, Padian N. Sexual risk behaviors among heterosexual HIV serodiscordant couples in the era of post-exposure prevention and viral suppressive therapy. AIDS. 2000;14(4):F47–54. CrossRef
- Sikkema KJ, Wilson PA, Hansen NB, et al. Effects of a coping intervention on transmission risk behavior among people living with HIV/AIDS and a history of childhood sexual abuse. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;47(4):506–13. CrossRef
- Wyatt GE, Longshore D, Chin D, et al. The efficacy of an integrated risk reduction intervention for HIV-positive women with child sexual abuse histories. AIDS Behav. 2004;8(4):453–62. CrossRef
- Heise L, Moore K, Toubia N. Sexual coercion and reproductive health, a focus on Research. New York: Population Council; 1995. http://www.popcouncil.org/pdfs/scoer.pdf.
- Brown NL, Wilson SR, Kao YM, et al. Correlates of sexual abuse and subsequent risk taking. Hisp J Behav Sci. 2003;25(3):331–51. CrossRef
- Trute B, Docking B, Hiebert-Murphy D. Couples therapy for women survivors of child sexual abuse who are in addictions recovery: a comparative case study of treatment process and outcome. J Marital Fam Ther. 2001;27(1):99–110. CrossRef
- Allen S, Tice J, Van de Perre P, et al. Effect of serotesting with counselling on condom use and seroconversion among HIV discordant couples in Africa. BMJ. 1992;304(6842):1605–9. CrossRef
- Dunkle KL, Stephenson R, Karita E, et al. New heterosexually transmitted HIV infections in married or cohabiting couples in urban Zambia and Rwanda: an analysis of survey and clinical data. Lancet. 2008;371(9631):2183–91. CrossRef
- Gray RH, Wawer MJ, Brookmeyer R, et al. Probability of HIV-1 transmission per coital act in monogamous, heterosexual, HIV-1-discordant couples in Rakai, Uganda. Lancet. 2001;357(9263):1149–53. CrossRef
- Lurie MN, Williams BG, Zuma K, et al. Who infects whom? HIV-1 concordance and discordance among migrant and non-migrant couples in South Africa. AIDS. 2003;17(15):2245–52. CrossRef
- Roth DL, Stewart KE, Clay OJ, van Der Straten A, Karita E, Allen S. Sexual practices of HIV discordant and concordant couples in Rwanda: effects of a testing and counselling programme for men. Int J STD AIDS. 2001;12(3):181–8. CrossRef
- Serwadda D, Gray RH, Wawer MJ, et al. The social dynamics of HIV transmission as reflected through discordant couples in rural Uganda. AIDS. 1995;9(7):745–50. CrossRef
- Molnar BE, Buka SL, Kessler RC. Child sexual abuse and subsequent psychopathology: results from the national comorbidity survey. Am J Public Health. 2001;91(5):753–60. CrossRef
- Myers HF, Sumner LA, Ullman JB, Loeb TB, Carmona JV, Wyatt GE. Trauma and psychosocial predictors of substance abuse in women impacted by HIV/AIDS. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2009;36(2):233–46. CrossRef
- Wyatt GE, Axelrod J, Chin D, Carmona JV, Loeb TB. Examining patterns of vulnerability to domestic violence among African American women. Violence Against Women. 2000;6(5):495–514.
- Buzi RS, Tortolero SR, Roberts RE, Ross MW, Addy RC, Markham CM. The impact of a history of sexual abuse on high-risk sexual behaviors among females attending alternative schools. Adolescence. 2003;38(152):595–605.
- Brown LK, Lourie KJ, Zlotnick C, Cohn J. Impact of sexual abuse on the HIV-risk-related behavior of adolescents in intensive psychiatric treatment. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;157(9):1413–5. CrossRef
- Messman-Moore TL, Long PJ. The role of childhood sexual abuse sequelae in the sexual revictimization of women: an empirical review and theoretical reformulation. Clin Psychol Rev. 2003;23(4):537–71. CrossRef
- Donaldson PE, Whalen MH, Anastas JW. Teen pregnancy and sexual abuse: exploring the connection. Smith Coll Stud Soc Work. 1989;59(3):289–300. CrossRef
- Johnsen LW, Harlow LL. Childhood sexual abuse linked with adult substance use, victimization, and AIDS-risk. AIDS Educ Prev. 1996;8(1):44–57.
- Black CA, DeBlassie RR. Sexual abuse in male children and adolescents: indicators, effects, and treatments. Adolescence. 1993;28(109):123–33.
- Holmes WC. Men’s childhood sexual abuse histories by one-parent versus two-parent status of childhood home. J Epidemiol Commun Health. 2007;61(4):319–25. CrossRef
- Dube SR, Anda RF, Whitfield CL, et al. Long-term consequences of childhood sexual abuse by gender of victim. Am J Prev Med. 2005;28(5):430–8. CrossRef
- Beitchman JH, Zucker KJ, Hood JE, daCosta GA, Akman D, Cassavia E. A review of the long-term effects of child sexual abuse. Child Abuse Negl. 1992;16(1):101–18. CrossRef
- Courtois FJ, Macdougall JC, Sachs BD. Erectile mechanism in paraplegia. Physiol Behav. 1993;53(4):721–6. CrossRef
- Bellamy SL, NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention Trial for African American Couples Study Group. A dynamic block-randomization algorithm for group-randomized clinical trials when the composition of blocking factors is not known in advance. Contemp Clin Trials. 2005;26(4):469–479. 10.1016/j.cct.2005.02.005.
- NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention Trial for African American Couples Group. Eban HIV/STD risk reduction intervention: conceptual basis and procedures. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;49 Suppl 1:S15–S27.
- NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention Trial for African American Couples Group. Eban health promotion intervention: conceptual basis and procedures. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;49 Suppl 1:S28–S34.
- NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention Trial for African American Couples Group. Measure of HIV/STD risk-reduction: strategies for enhancing the utility of behavioral and biological outcome measures for African American couples. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;49 Suppl 1:S35–S41.
- NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention Trial for African American Couples Group. Risky sexual behavior and correlates of STD prevalence among African American HIV serodiscordant couples. AIDS Behav. 2009.
- NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention Trial for African American Couples Group. Special issue. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;49 Suppl 1:S1–S74.
- NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention Trial for African American Couples Group. Designing an audio computer-assisted self-interview (ACASI) system in a multisite trial: a brief report. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;49 Suppl 1:S52–S58.
- Graupner H, Bullough VL, eds. Adolescence, sexuality, and the criminal law: multidisciplinary perspectives. Binghamton, NY: Haworth Press; 2004. http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip053/2004026212.html.
- Burgess-Jackson K. Rape: a philosophical investigation. Aldershot, Hant, England; Brookfield, USA: Dartmouth; 1996. p 244.
- Glaser D. Child abuse and neglect and the brain–a review. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2000;41(1):97–116. CrossRef
- Myers HF, Wyatt GE, Loeb TB, et al. Severity of child sexual abuse, post- traumatic stress and risky sexual behaviors among HIV-positive women. AIDS Behav. 2006;10(2):191–9. CrossRef
- Wyatt GE, Peters SD. Methodological considerations in research on the prevalence of child sexual abuse. Child Abuse Negl. 1986;10(2):241–51. CrossRef
- Hendrick SS. A generic measure of relationship satisfaction. J Marriage Fam. 1988;50(1):93–8. CrossRef
- Hendrick SS, Hendrick C, Adler NL. Romantic relationships—love, satisfaction, and staying together. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1988;54(6):980–8. CrossRef
- Ewing JA. Detecting alcoholism. The CAGE questionnaire. JAMA. 1984;252(14):1905–7. CrossRef
- Peters RH, Greenbaum PE, Steinberg ML, et al. Effectiveness of screening instruments in detecting substance use disorders among prisoners. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2000;18(4):349–58. CrossRef
- DiLillo D. Interpersonal functioning among women reporting a history of childhood sexual abuse: empirical findings and methodological issues. Clin Psychol Rev. 2001;21(4):553–76. CrossRef
- Prevalence of Child and Adult Sexual Abuse and Risk Taking Practices Among HIV Serodiscordant African-American Couples
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 14, Issue 5 , pp 1032-1044
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links