Smoking Among HIV Positive New Yorkers: Prevalence, Frequency, and Opportunities for Cessation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Tobacco use presents unique health risks for persons living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA). There is an urgent need to characterize tobacco use among PLWHA, and to assess the capacity of HIV/AIDS service providers to deliver smoking cessation interventions. Questionnaires were administered to PLWHA in care in New York State (n = 1,094) and to State-funded HIV/AIDS service providers (n = 173) from 2005 to 2007. Current PLWHA smoking prevalence was 59%, three times the general population rate. Over 50% of current smokers were moderately or highly dependent on nicotine. Three-quarters of smokers indicated an interest in quitting, and 64% reported a least one quit attempt during the past year. Less than half of HIV/AIDS service providers reported always assessing tobacco use status, history, dependence, or interest in quitting at intake. Medical care providers were more likely to conduct assessments and provide services. Although 94% of providers indicated a willingness to incorporate tobacco cessation services, 65% perceived client resistance as a barrier to services. HIV/AIDS service providers are inadequately addressing the high smoking rate among PLWHA, despite being uniquely suited to do so. Efforts are needed to educate providers about the need for, and interest in, tobacco cessation.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Aberg, J. A., Gallant, J. E., Anderson, J., Oleske, J. M., Libman, H., Currier, J. S., et al. (2004). Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: Recommendations of the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 39(5), 609–629. doi:10.1086/423390. CrossRef
- American Cancer Society. (2007). Cigarette smoking. Retrieved 27 November 2007, from http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_2X_Cigarette_Smoking.asp?sitearea=PED.
- Bao, Y., Duan, N., & Fox, S. (2006). Is some provider advice better than no advice? An instrumental variable analysis of the 2001 National Health Interview Survey. Preventive Care, 41(6), 2114–2134.
- Benard, A., Bonnet, F., Tessier, J. F., Fossoux, H., Dupon, M., & Mercie, P. (2007). Tobacco addiction and HIV infection: Toward the implementation of cessation programs. ANRS CO3 aquitaine cohort. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 21(7), 458–468. doi:10.1089/apc.2006.0142. CrossRef
- Bonnet, F., Morlat, P., Chene, G., Mercie, P., Neau, D., Chossat, L., et al. (2002). Causes of death among HIV-infected patients in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. HIV Medicine, 3(3), 195–199. doi:10.1046/j.1468-1293.2002.00117.x. CrossRef
- Burke, M., Furman, A., Hoffman, M., Marmor, S., Blum, A., & Yust, L. (2004). Lung cancer in patients with HIV infection: Is it AIDS-related? HIV Medicine, 5(2), 110–114. doi:10.1111/j.1468-1293.2004.00196.x. CrossRef
- Burkhalter, J. E., Springer, C. M., Chhabra, R., Ostroff, J. S., & Rapkin, B. D. (2005). Tobacco use and readiness to quit smoking in low-income HIV-infected persons. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 7(4), 511–522. doi:10.1080/14622200500186064. CrossRef
- Buskin, S. E., Hopkins, S. G., & Farizo, K. M. (1992, July). Heavy smoking increases the risk of pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP), Abstract WeC 1030. Presented at The Eighth International AIDS Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Centers for Disease Control, Prevention. (1993). CDC physician and other health-care professional counseling of smokers to quit—United States, 1991. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 42(44), 854–857.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2005). Behavioral risk factor surveillance system questionnaire. Retrieved 15 2005, December from http://www.cdc.gov/brfss/questionnaires/pdf-ques/2005brfss.pdf.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2007). State-specific prevalence of current cigarette smoking among adults and secondhand smoke rules and policies in homes and workplaces—United States, 2005. Retrieved 27 November 2007, from http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5642a2.htm.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2008). Fact sheet: Health effects of cigarette smoking. Retrieved 6 June 2008, from http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/factsheets/HealthEffectsofCigaretteSmoking_Factsheet.htm.
- Clifford, G. M., Polesel, J., Rickenback, M., Dal Maso, L., Keiser, O., Kofler, A., et al. (2005). Cancer risk in the Swiss HIV cohort study: Associations with immunodeficiency, smoking, and highly active antiretroviral therapy. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 97(6), 425–432. CrossRef
- CASCADE Collaboration. (2003). Determinants of survival following HIV-1 seroconversion after the introduction of HAART. Lancet, 362(9392), 1267–1274. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(03)14570-9
- Collins, R. L., Kanouse, D. E., Gifford, A. L., Seterfitt, J. W., Schuster, M. A., McCaffrey, D. F., et al. (2001). Changes in health-promoting behavior following diagnosis with HIV: Prevalence and correlates in a national probability sample. Health Psychology, 20(5), 351–360. doi:10.1037/0278-6184.108.40.2061. CrossRef
- Crothers, K., Goulet, J., Rodriguez-Barradas, M. C., Gilbert, C. L., Butt, A., Braithwaite, R. S., et al. (2007). Decreased awareness of current smoking among health care providers of HIV-positive compared to HIV-negative veterans. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 22(6), 749–754. doi:10.1007/s11606-007-0158-8. CrossRef
- Crothers, K., Griffith, T. A., McGinnis, K. A., Rodriguez-Barradas, M. C., Leaf, D. A., Weissman, S., et al. (2005). The impact of cigarette smoking on mortality, quality of life, and comorbid illness among HIV-positive veterans. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 20(12), 1142–1145. doi:10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.0255.x. CrossRef
- Cummins, D., Trotter, G., Moussa, M., & Turham, G. (2005). Smoking cessation for clients who are HIV-positive. Nursing Standard, 20(12), 41–47.
- Diaz, P. T., King, M. A., Pacht, E. R., Wewers, M. D., Gadek, J. E., Nagaraja, H. N., et al. (2000). Increased susceptibility to pulmonary emphysema among HIV-seropositive smokers. Annals of Internal Medicine, 132(5), 369–372.
- Elzi, L., Spoerl, D., Voggensperger, J., Nicca, D., Simcock, M., Bucher, H. C., et al. (2006). A smoking cessation programme in HIV-infected individuals: A pilot study. Antiviral Therapy, 11(6), 787–795.
- Engels, E. A., Brock, M. V., Chen, J., Hooker, C. M., Gillison, M., & Moore, R. D. (2006). Elevated incidence of lung cancer among HIV-infected individuals. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 24(9), 1383–1388. doi:10.1200/JCO.2005.03.4413. CrossRef
- Federman, B. (2006). New York State survey of substance abuse treatment programs’ tobacco use policies and treatment practices. Research Triangle Park, NC: RTI International.
- Feldman, J. G., Minkoff, H., Schneider, M. F., Gange, S. J., Cohen, M., Watts, H., et al. (2006). Association of cigarette smoking with HIV prognosis among women in the HAART era—A report from the Women’s interagency HIV study. American Journal of Public Health, 96(6), 1060–1065. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2005.062745. CrossRef
- Fiore, M. C., Bailey, W. C., Cohen, S. J., Dorfman, S. F., Goldstein, M. G., Gritz, E. R., et al. (2000). Treating tobacco use and dependence. Retrieved 27 November 2007, from http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/tobacco/tobaqrg.htm#Contents.
- Frisch, M., Biggar, R. J., Engles, E. A., & Goedert, J. J. (2001). Association of cancer with AIDS-related immunosuppression in adults. Journal of the American Medical Association, 285(13), 1736–1745. doi:10.1001/jama.285.13.1736. CrossRef
- Golden, M. P., DeCerbo, D. C., & Weissman, S. (2006). Smoking cessation intervention in an urban HIV clinic. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management, 13(1), 30–38.
- Gritz, E. R., Vidrine, D. J., Lazev, A. B., Amick, B. C., III., & Arduino, R. C. (2004). Smoking behavior in a low-income multiethnic HIV/AIDS population. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 6(1), 71–77. doi:10.1080/14622200310001656885. CrossRef
- Infonet, A.I.D.S. (2006). Fact sheet 803: Smoking and HIV. Retrieved 27 November, 2007, from http://www.aidsinfonet.org/factsheet_detail.php?fsnumber=803.
- Ingersoll, K. S., Cropsey, K. L., & Heckman, C. J. (2007). A test of motivational plus nicotine replacement interventions for HIV positive smokers. AIDS and Behavior; Epub ahead of print .
- Jaen, C. R., Strange, K. C., Tumiel, L. M., & Nutting, G. (1997). Missed opportunities for prevention: Smoking cessation counseling and the competing demands of practice. The Journal of Family Practice, 45(4), 348–354.
- Krentz, H. B., Kliewer, G., & Gill, M. J. (2005). Changing mortality rates and causes of death for HIV-infected individuals living in Southern Alberta, Canada from 1984 to 2003. HIV Medicine, 6(2), 99–106. doi:10.1111/j.1468-1293.2005.00271.x. CrossRef
- Mallin, R. (2002). Smoking cessation: Integration of behavioral and drug therapies. American Family Physician, 65(6), 1107–1114.
- Mamary, E. M., Bahrs, D., & Martinez, S. (2002). Cigarette smoking and the desire to quit among individuals living with HIV. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 16(1), 39–42. doi:10.1089/108729102753429389. CrossRef
- Miguez-Burbano, M. J., Burbano, X., Ashkin, D., Pitchenik, A., Rodriguez, A., Pineda, L., et al. (2003). Impact of tobacco use on the development of opportunistic respiratory infections in HIV seropositive patients on antiretroviral therapy. Addiction Biology, 8(1), 39–43. doi:10.1080/1355621031000069864. CrossRef
- Minkoff, H., Feldman, J. G., Strickler, H. D., Watts, H., Bacon, M. C., Levine, A., et al. (2004). Relationship between smoking and human papillomavirus infections in HIV-infected and–uninfected women. The Journal of Infectious Diseases, 189(10), 1821–1828. doi:10.1086/383479. CrossRef
- National Cancer Institute. (2000). Population based smoking cessation: Proceedings of a Conference on What Works to Influence Cessation in the General Population. MD: Smoking and Tobacco Control Monograph No.12, Bethesda.
- New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. (2005). HIV surveillance and epidemiology program first quarter report, January 2005, 3(1). Retrieved 27 November 2007, from http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/dires/dires-2005-report-qtr1.pdf.
- New York State Department of Health. (2007a). New York State HIV/AIDS surveillance semiannual report: For cases diagnosed through December 2005, Table 2A. Retrieved 27 November 2007, from http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/aids/statistics/semiannual/2005/surveillance_semiannual_report_2005-12.pdf.
- New York State Department of Health. (2007b). Deaths from five leading causes of death by age and race/ethnicity, New York State 2005. Retrieved 27 November 2007, from http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/vital_statistics/2005/table34a.htm.
- New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute. (2007). Primary care approach to the HIV-infected patient. Retrieved 18 January 2007, from http://www.hivguidelines.org/GuideLine.aspx?%20ageID=257&guideLineID=13&vType=text.
- New York State Department of Health, Tobacco Control. (2005). New York State adult tobacco 2005 survey. Available at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Niaura, R., Shadel, W. G., Morrow, K., Tashima, K., Flanigan, T., & Abrams, D. B. (1999). Smoking among HIV-positive persons. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 21(Suppl), S116.
- Niaura, R., Shadel, W. G., Morrow, K., Tashima, K., Flanigan, T., & Abrams, D. B. (2000). Human immunodeficiency virus infection, AIDS, and smoking cessation: The time is now. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 31(3), 808–812. doi:10.1086/314048. CrossRef
- Palella, F. J., Baker, R. K., Moorman, A. C., Chmiel, J. S., Wood, K. C., Brooks, J. T., et al. (2006). Mortality in the highly active antiretroviral therapy era: Changing causes of death and disease in the HIV outpatient study. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes and Human Retrovirology, 43(1), 27–34.
- Palella, F. J., Delaney, K. M., Moorman, A. C., Loveless, M. O., Fuhrer, J., Satten, G. A., et al. (1998). Declining morbidity and mortality among patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus infection. The New England Journal of Medicine, 338(13), 853–860. doi:10.1056/NEJM199803263381301. CrossRef
- Sackoff, J. E., Hanna, D. B., Pfeiffer, M. R., & Torian, L. V. (2006). Causes of death among persons with AIDS in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy: New York City. Annals of Internal Medicine, 46(6), 397–406.
- Singh, B., Balwally, A. N., Shaha, A. R., Rosenfeld, R. M., Har-EL, G., & Lucente, F. E. (1996). Upper aerodigestive tract squamous cell carcinoma. The human immunodeficiency virus connection. Archives of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery, 122(6), 639–643.
- Soysa, N. S., & Ellepola, A. N. (2005). The impact of cigarette/tobacco smoking on oral candidosis: An overview. Oral Diseases, 11(5), 268–273. doi:10.1111/j.1601-0825.2005.01115.x. CrossRef
- Steinberg, M., Akincigil, A., Delnevo, C.D., Crystal, S., & Carson, J. (2003, February). National rates of medication prescription for patients counseled for tobacco: 1997–2000. Poster presented at the Ninth Annual Meeting of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, New Orleans, LA.
- Thorndike, A. N., Rigotti, N. A., Stafford, R. S., & Singer, D. E. (1998). National patterns in the treatment of smokers by physicians. Journal of the American Medical Association, 279(8), 604–608. doi:10.1001/jama.279.8.604. CrossRef
- Tirelli, U., Spina, M., Sandri, S., Serraino, D., Gobitti, C., & Fasan, M. (2000). Lung carcinoma in 36 patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. The Italian cooperative group on AIDS and tumors. Cancer, 88(3), 563–569. CrossRef
- Vidrine, D. J., Arduino, R. C., & Gritz, E. R. (2007). The effects of smoking abstinence on symptom burden and quality of life among persons living with HIV/AIDS. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 21(9), 659–666. doi:10.1089/apc.2007.0022. CrossRef
- Vidrine, D. J., Arduino, R. C., Lazev, A. B., & Gritz, E. R. (2006). A randomized trial of a proactive cellular telephone intervention for smokers living with HIV/AIDS. AIDS (London, England), 20(2), 253–260. doi:10.1097/01.aids.0000198094.23691.58.
- Vittecoq, D., Escaut, L., Chironi, G., Teicher, E., Monsuez, J. J., & Andrejak, M. (2003). Coronary heart disease in HIV-infected patients in the highly active antiretroviral era. AIDS (London, England), 17(Suppl.1), S70–S76.
- Webb, M. S., Vanable, P. A., Carey, M. P., & Blair, D. C. (2007). Cigarette smoking among HIV+ men and women: Examining health, substance use, and psychosocial correlates across the smoking spectrum. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 30(5), 371–383. doi:10.1007/s10865-007-9112-9. CrossRef
About this Article
- Smoking Among HIV Positive New Yorkers: Prevalence, Frequency, and Opportunities for Cessation
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 14, Issue 4 , pp 824-835
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Tobacco use
- Tobacco cessation
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Office of Program Evaluation and Research AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, 150 Broadway, Suite 516 Menands, NY, 12204, USA
- 2. Division of HIV Health Care AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Empire State Plaza, Corning Tower, Room 421, Albany, NY, 12237, USA
- 3. Office of the Medical Director AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Central NY Regional Office, 217 S. Salina Street, Syracuse, NY, 13202, USA