Sexual Difficulties in People Living with HIV in France—Results from a Large Representative Sample of Outpatients Attending French Hospitals (ANRS-EN12-VESPA)
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We analysed sexual difficulties in a nationally representative sample of HIV-infected outpatients in France. Analyses were restricted to the 1,812 HIV-treated participants who reported at least one sexual partner during the 12 months prior to the study. The sample included 40.6% homosexual men and 24.4% women; 68.1% had a steady partner and 48.2% reported casual partners. Sexual difficulties were reported by 33.3% of the selected individuals and were more frequent in those with low sexual activity. Immuno-virological outcomes were not associated with sexual difficulties. After multiple adjustment for sexual frequency and antidepressant consumption, it was found that a larger HIV-network, reporting HIV-discrimination from friends and/or sexual partners, suffering from lipodystrophy and reporting very disturbing HIV-related symptoms were all significantly associated with sexual difficulties. HIV and HIV-treatment experience are associated with sexual difficulties. Psychological support focused on HIV-experience should be tested as a possible tool for improving sexual quality of life.
- Amirkhanian, Y. A., Kelly, J. A., Kabakchieva, E., Kirsanova, A. V., Vassileva, S., Takacs, J., DiFranceisco, W. J., McAuliffe, T. L., Khoursine, R. A., & Mocsonaki, L. (2005). A randomized social network HIV prevention trial with young men who have sex with men in Russia and Bulgaria. AIDS, 19(16), 1897–1905. CrossRef
- Amirkhanian, Y. A., Kelly, J. A., Kabakchieva, E., McAuliffe, T. L., & Vassileva, S. (2003). Evaluation of a social network HIV prevention intervention program for young men who have sex with men in Russia and Bulgaria. AIDS Education and Prevention, 15(3), 205–220. CrossRef
- Bouhnik, A. D., Preau, M., Schiltz, M. A., Lert, F., Obadia, Y., & Spire, B. (2007). Unprotected sex in regular partnerships among homosexual men living with HIV: A comparison between sero-nonconcordant and seroconcordant couples (ANRS-EN12-VESPA Study). AIDS, 21(Suppl 1), S43–S48.
- Bouhnik, A. D., Preau, M., Schiltz, M. A., Peretti-Watel, P., Obadia, Y., Lert, F., & Spire, B. (2006). Unsafe sex with casual partners and quality of life among HIV-infected gay men: Evidence from a large representative sample of outpatients attending French hospitals (ANRS-EN12-VESPA). Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 42(5), 597–603. CrossRef
- Catalan, J., & Meadows, J. (2000). Sexual dysfunction in gay and bisexual men with HIV infection: Evaluation, treatment and implications. AIDS Care, 12(3), 279–286. CrossRef
- Collazos, J., Martinez, E., Mayo, J., & Ibarra, S. (2002). Sexual dysfunction in HIV-infected patients treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 31(3), 322–326.
- Colson, A. E., & Sax, P. E. (2000). Sexual dysfunction and HIV infection. AIDS Clinical Care, 12(5), 39–41, 43, 45–56.
- Desquilbet, L., Deveau, C., Goujard, C., Hubert, J. B., Derouineau, J., & Meyer, L. (2002). Increase in at-risk sexual behaviour among HIV-1-infected patients followed in the French PRIMO cohort. AIDS, 16(17), 2329–2333. CrossRef
- Deville, J. C., & Särndal, C. E. (1992). Calibration estimation in survey sampling. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 87(418), 376–382. CrossRef
- Dias, S. F., Matos, M. G., & Goncalves, A. C. (2006). AIDS-related stigma and attitudes towards AIDS-infected people among adolescents. AIDS Care, 18(3), 208–214. CrossRef
- Dobs, A. S., Dempsey, M. A., Ladenson, P. W., & Polk, B. F. (1988). Endocrine disorders in men infected with human immunodeficiency virus. American Journal of Medicine, 84(3 Pt 2), 611–616. CrossRef
- El-Bassel, N., Gilbert, L., Wu, E., & Chang, M. (2006). A social network profile and HIV risk among men on methadone: Do social networks matter? Journal of Urban Health, 83(4), 602–613. CrossRef
- Goldmeier, D., Kocsis, A., & Wasserman, M. (2005). Sexual dysfunction in women with HIV. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 81(4), 284. CrossRef
- Jones, M., Klimes, I., & Catalan, J. (1994). Psychosexual problems in people with HIV infection: Controlled study of gay men and men with haemophilia. AIDS Care, 6(5), 587–593. CrossRef
- Lallemand, F., Salhi, Y., Linard, F., Giami, A., & Rozenbaum, W. (2002). Sexual dysfunction in 156 ambulatory HIV-infected men receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy combinations with and without protease inhibitors. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 30(2), 187–190.
- Lazarus, R. S., & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, appraisal, and coping. New York.
- Macalino, G. E., Celentano, D. D., Latkin, C., Strathdee, S. A., & Vlahov, D. (2002). Risk behaviors by audio computer-assisted self-interviews among HIV-seropositive and HIV-seronegative injection drug users. AIDS Education and Prevention, 14(5), 367–378. CrossRef
- Martinez, E., Collazos, J., Mayo, J., & Blanco, M. S. (1999). Sexual dysfunction with protease inhibitors. Lancet, 353(9155), 810–811. CrossRef
- Persson, L., Ostergren, P. O., Hanson, B. S., Lindgren, A., & Naucler, A. (2002). Social network, social support and the rate of decline of CD4 lymphocytes in asymptomatic HIV-positive homosexual men. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, 30(3), 184–190. CrossRef
- Preau, M., Marcellin, F., Carrieri, M. P., Lert, F., Obadia, Y., & Spire, B. (2007). Health-related quality of life in French people living with HIV in 2003: Results from the national ANRS-EN12-VESPA study. AIDS, 21(Suppl 1), S19–S27. CrossRef
- Richardson, D., Lamba, H., Goldmeier, D., Nalabanda, A., & Harris, J. R. (2006). Factors associated with sexual dysfunction in men with HIV infection. International Journal of STD and AIDS, 17(11), 764–767. CrossRef
- Rintamaki, L. S., Davis, T. C., Skripkauskas, S., Bennett, C. L., & Wolf, M. S. (2006). Social stigma concerns and HIV medication adherence. AIDS Patient Care STDS, 20(5), 359–368. CrossRef
- Schrimshaw, E. W., Rosario, M., Meyer-Bahlburg, H. F., & Scharf-Matlick, A. A. (2006). Test-retest reliability of self-reported sexual behavior, sexual orientation, and psychosexual milestones among gay, lesbian, and bisexual youths. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 35(2), 225–234. CrossRef
- Schrooten, W., Colebunders, R., Youle, M., Molenberghs, G., Dedes, N., Koitz, G., Finazzi, R., de Mey, I., Florence, E., & Dreezen, C. (2001). Sexual dysfunction associated with protease inhibitor containing highly active antiretroviral treatment. AIDS, 15(8), 1019–1023. CrossRef
- Siegel, K., Lekas, H. M., & Schrimshaw, E. W. (2005). Serostatus disclosure to sexual partners by HIV-infected women before and after the advent of HAART. Women Health, 41(4), 63–85. CrossRef
- Tindall, B., Forde, S., Goldstein, D., Ross, M. W., & Cooper, D. A. (1994). Sexual dysfunction in advanced HIV disease. AIDS Care, 6(1), 105–107. CrossRef
- Vanable, P. A., Carey, M. P., Blair, D. C., & Littlewood, R. A. (2006). Impact of HIV-related stigma on health behaviors and psychological adjustment among HIV-positive men and women. Aids and Behavior, 10(5), 473–482. CrossRef
- Weinhardt, L. S., Forsyth, A. D., Carey, M. P., Jaworski, B. C., & Durant, L. E. (1998). Reliability and validity of self-report measures of HIV-related sexual behavior: Progress since 1990 and recommendations for research and practice. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 27(2), 155–180. CrossRef
- Sexual Difficulties in People Living with HIV in France—Results from a Large Representative Sample of Outpatients Attending French Hospitals (ANRS-EN12-VESPA)
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 12, Issue 4 , pp 670-676
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Sexual difficulties
- Antiretroviral therapy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Health and Medical Research National Institute (INSERM), Research Unit 379, Social Sciences Applied to Medical Innovation, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseilles, France
- 2. Southeastern Health Regional Observatory (ORSPACA), Marseilles, France
- 3. Psychology Department, LABECD, Nantes, France
- 4. National Centre of Scientific Research (CAMS-CERMES-CNRS-EHESS), Paris, France