HIV-related Sexual Risk Taking Among HIV-negative Men Who Have Sex with Men in Zagreb, Croatia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Croatia has a low-level HIV epidemic and, as in a number of other Central and Southeastern European countries, sex between men accounts for most HIV infections. This study examines sexual behavior and the correlates of condom use in a snowball sample of 342 HIV non-infected men who have sex with men (MSM) in Zagreb. The median age of participants in the sample was 27 years. The majority of participants (81%) reported using condom at last anal sex with casual partner and 56% claimed to have used condoms consistently at anal sex with casual partners in the last 12 months. HIV risk self-assessment and number of sexual partners were significantly correlated with condom use at last anal sex with casual partner. Self-assessed HIV-risk and heterosexual activity were found associated with consistent condom use at anal sex with casual partners. To sustain a low-level HIV epidemic, targeted intervention among young MSM is needed in Croatia.
- Amirkhanian, Y. A., Kelly, J. A., Kirsanova, A. V., DiFranceisco, W., Khoursine, R. A., Semenov, A. V. (2006) HIV risk behaviour patterns, predictors, and sexually transmitted disease prevalence in the social networks of young men who have sex with men in St Petersburg, Russia. International Journal of STD and AIDS 17: pp. 50-56 CrossRef
- Amirkhanian, Y. A., Kelly, J. A., Kukharsky, A. A., Borodkina, O. I., Granskaya, J. V., Dyatlov, R. V. (2001) Predictors of AIDS risk behavior among Russian men who have sex with men: An emerging epidemic. AIDS 15: pp. 407-412 CrossRef
- Begovac, J., Zekan, S., Skoko-Poljak, D. (2006) Twenty years of Human Immunodeficiency Virus infection in Croatia: An epidemic that is still in an early stage. Collegium Antropologicum 30: pp. 17-23
- Božičević, I., Rode, O., Židovec-Lepej, S., Johnston, L. G., Štulhofer, A., Dominković, Z., et al. Prevalence of sexually transmitted infections and sexual risk behaviours among men who have sex with men in Zagreb, Croatia (manuscript submitted for publication).
- Cazin, I., Pristaš, I., & Kolarić, B. (2006). Knowledge and attitudes of physicians about HIV/AIDS in primary health care practice – a pilot study in the city of Zagreb and the Zagreb county [Znanja i stavovi liječnika o HIV/AIDS-u u primarnoj zdravstvenoj zaštiti–pilot istraživanje u gradu Zagrebu i Zagrebačkoj županiji]. In I. Gjenero-Margan & B. Kolarić (Eds.), Second generation of surveillance in HIV infection and AIDS in the Republic of Croatia, 2003–2006 [Druga generacija praćenja HIV infekcije i AIDS-a u Republici Hrvatskoj 2003–2006] (pp. 34–56). Zagreb: Croatian National Institute of Public Health (In Croatian).
- Croatian National Institute of Public Health. (2006). HIV/AIDS epidemiological situation in Croatia, 2006 [HIV/AIDS – epidemiološka situacija u Hrvatskoj]. Retrieved June 20, 2007, from http://www.hzjz.hr/epidemiologija/hiv.htm (In Croatian).
- Csepe, P., Amirkhanian, Y. A., Kelly, J. A., McAuliffe, T. L., Mocsonoki, L. (2002) HIV risk behavior among gay and bisexual men in Budapest, Hungary. International Journal of STD and AIDS 13: pp. 192-200 CrossRef
- EuroHIV. (2006). HIV/AIDS surveillance in Europe, Report No. 73. Retrieved July 16, 2007, from http://www.eurohiv.org/reports/index_reports_eng.htm
- Family Health International. (2006). Albania – behavioral and biological surveillance study report. Retrieved August 13, 2007, from http://www.fhi.org/NR/rdonlyres/e4dnpa3b7x776x33mmcvu4lnlqfgrfhibxugtbcbzefkw3t2mic6wwise2uzkew2wjv2tn7xevyvie/AlbaniaBSSCompleteHV.pdf
- Hamers, F. F., Devaux, I., Alix, J., & Nardone, A. (2006). HIV/AIDS in Europe: Trends and EU-wide priorities. Eurosurveillance, 11. Retrived July 16, 2007, from http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ew/2006/061123.asp#1
- Heckathorn, D. (1997) Respondent-driven sampling: A new approach to the study of hidden populations. Social Problems 44: pp. 174-199 CrossRef
- Heckathorn, D. (2002) Respondent-driven sampling II: Deriving valid population estimates from chain-referral samples of hidden populations. Social Problems 49: pp. 11-34 CrossRef
- Poundstrone, K. E., Strathdee, S. A., Celentano, D. D. (2004) The social epidemiology of human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Epidemiological Reviews 26: pp. 22-35 CrossRef
- Radić, K., Stanić, D., Bielen, L., & Kolarić, B. (2006). HIV risks in the Croatian population of men who have sex with men [Rizici za HIV u hrvatskoj populaciji muškaraca koji prakticiraju seksualne odnose s muškarcima]. In I. Gjenero-Margan & B. Kolarić (Eds.), Second generation of surveillance in HIV infection and AIDS in the Republic of Croatia, 2003–2006 [Druga generacija praćenja HIV infekcije i AIDS-a u Republici Hrvatskoj 2003–2006] (pp. 23–33). Zagreb: Croatian National Institute of Public Health (In Croatian).
- Rhodes, T., Simic, M. (2005) Transition and the HIV risk environment. British Medical Journal 331: pp. 220-223 CrossRef
- Schwarcz, S., Spindler, H., Scheer, S., Valleroy, L., Lansky, A. (2007) Assessing representativeness of sampling methods for reaching men who have sex with men: A direct comparison of results obtained from convenience and probability samples. AIDS and Behavior 11: pp. 596-602 CrossRef
- Simić, D. (2006). Epidemiological overview of HIV/AIDS in Serbia in the period 1984–20.11.2006. Institute of Public Health of Serbia “Dr Milan Jovanović Batut” [Epidemiološka situacija HIV/AIDS u Srbiji u periodu 1984–20.11.2006. godine. Institut za javno zdravlje Srbije „Dr Milan Jovanović – Batut”]. Retrieved June 20, 2007, from http://www.batut.org.yu/activenews_view.asp?articleID=93 (In Serbian).
- Stanekova, D., Habekova, M., Wimmerova, S., Gramblickova, I. (2000) HIV infection and sexual behaviour among homosexual and bisexual men in Bratislava. Central European Journal of Public Health 8: pp. 172-175
- Štulhofer, A., Sandfort, T. G. M. Introduction: Sexuality and gender in times of transition. In: Štulhofer, A., Sandfort, T. G. M. eds. (2005) Sexuality and gender in postcommunist Eastern Europe and Russia. The Haworth Press, New York, pp. 1-25
- Timpson, S. C., Pollak, K. I., Williams, M. L., Ross, M. W., Kapadia, A. S., Bowen, A. M., McCoy, C. B., McCoy, H. V. (2001) Predictors of stages of change for condom use in crack cocaine users. AIDS and Behavior 5: pp. 65-74 CrossRef
- UNAIDS. (2006). Report on the global AIDS epidemic. Retrieved August 10, 2007, from http://www.unaids.org/en/HIV_data/2006GlobalReport/default.asp
- HIV-related Sexual Risk Taking Among HIV-negative Men Who Have Sex with Men in Zagreb, Croatia
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 505-512
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Men who have sex with men
- Sexual risk taking
- Condom use
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Sociology, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb, Ivana Lucica 3, Zagreb, 10000, Croatia
- 2. ‘‘Andrija Štampar” School of Public Health, Medical School, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
- 3. University Hospital for Infectious Diseases “Dr. Fran Mihaljević’’, Zagreb, Croatia