HIV/AIDS Health Service Utilization by People Who have been Homeless
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
People living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) who experience homelessness have competing priorities (e.g., food, security of property) and experience complex health-related issues (e.g., co-morbidities, transportation to clinics) that may interfere with utilizing health care services. Using data from 229 PLWHA we did not find that homelessness was related to fewer or shorter clinic visits. Patients who had ever been homeless were more likely to have a case manager (74.2%) than never homeless patients (58.8%). African American patients were less likely to have a case manager (57%) as compared to other ethnicities (66%) although this was not statistically significant.
- Arno, P. S., Bonuck, K. A., Green, J., Fleishman, J., Bennett, C. L., Fahs, M. C., Maffeo, C., & Drucker, E. (1996). The impact of housing status on health care utilization among persons with HIV disease. Journal of Health Care Poor Underserved, 7(1), 36–49.
- Gelberg, L., Andersen, R. M., & Leake, B. D. (2000). The behavioral model for vulnerable populations: Application to medical care use and outcomes for homeless people. Health Service Research, 34(6), 1273–1302.
- Gelberg, L., Gallagher, T. C., Andersen, R. M., & Koegel, P. (1997). Competing priorities as a barrier to medical care among homeless adults in Los Angeles. American Journal of Public Health, 87(2), 217–220. CrossRef
- Jackson, M. P., & McSwane, D. Z. (1992). Homelessness as a determinant of health. Public Health Nursing, 9(3), 185–192. CrossRef
- Katz, M. H., Cunningham, W. E., Mor, V., Andersen, R. M., Kellogg, T., Zierler, S., Crystal, S. C., Stein, M. D., Cylar, K., Bozzette, S. A., & Shapiro, M. F. (2000). Prevalence and predictors of unmet need for supportive services among HIV-infected persons: impact of case management. Medical Care, 38(1), 58–69. CrossRef
- Katz, M. H., Cunningham, W. E., Fleishman, J. A., Andersen, R. M., Kellogg, T., Bozzette, S. A., & Shapiro, M. F. (2001). Effect of case management on unmet needs and utilization of medical care and medications among HIV-infected persons. Annals of Internal Medicine, 135(8 Pt 1), 557–565.
- Kim, T. W., Kertesz, S. G., Horton, N. J., Tibbetts, N., & Samet, J. H. (2006). Episodic homelessness and health care utilization in a prospective cohort of HIV-infected persons with alcohol problems. BMC Health Services Research, 6(19), 1–10.
- Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (2006). 2005 Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count. Los Angeles, CA.
- Lucas, G. M., Chaisson, R. E., & Moore, R. D. (1999). Highly active antiretroviral therapy in a large urban clinic: risk factors for virologic failure and adverse drug outcomes. Annals of Internal Medicine, 131(2), 81–87.
- Oster, A., & Bindman, A. B. (2003). Emergency department visits for ambulatory care sensitive conditions: insights into preventable hospitalizations. Medical Care, 41(2), 198–207. CrossRef
- Richardson, J. L., Milam, J., McCutchan, A., Stoyanoff, S., Bolan, R., Weiss, J., Kemper, C., Larsen, R. A., Hollander, H., Weismuller, P., Chou, C. P., & Marks, G. (2004). Effect of brief safer-sex counseling by medical providers to HIV-1 seropositive patients: A multi-clinic assessment. AIDS, 18(8), 1179–1186. CrossRef
- Smith, M. Y., Rapkin, B. D., Winkel, G., Springer, C., Chhabra, R., & Feldman, I. S. (2000). Housing status and health service utilization among low-income persons with HIV/AIDS. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 15(10), 731–738. CrossRef
- HIV/AIDS Health Service Utilization by People Who have been Homeless
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 12, Issue 5 , pp 815-821
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Health services
- HIV case managers
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Community Health Outcomes and Intervention Research Program, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 2. Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 3. Office of AIDS Programs and Policy, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, 600 S Commonwealth Avenue, Suite 600, Los Angeles, CA, 90005, USA
- 4. The Saban Research Institute, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA