Prevalence and Correlates of Condom Use and HIV Testing Among Female Sex Workers in Tashkent, Uzbekistan: Implications for HIV Transmission
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Little is known about sex work in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, despite rapid increases in HIV infection. Consistent client condom use and prior HIV testing are described among 448 female sex workers (FSW) completing a self-administered questionnaire, health provider interview, and HIV testing between April 2003 and March 2004. Participants were recruited through outreach workers using modified snowball sampling. Consistent client condom use was more likely for FSW who were married, knew condoms prevent HIV, and from countries in south Central Asia. Prior HIV testing was less likely for FSW younger than 21 years, who shared drugs with clients, initiated sex work at 18 years or less and had engaged in sex work less than 2 years. Low rates of condom use, particularly by those with risky drug behaviors, indicate that targeted risk-reduction interventions are urgently needed.
- Aral, S. O., St Lawrence, J. S. (2002) The ecology of sex work and drug use in Saratov Oblast, Russia. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 29: pp. 798-805 CrossRef
- Aral, S. O., St Lawrence, J. S., Tikhonova, L., Safarova, E., Parker, K. A., Shakarishvili, A. (2003) The social organization of commercial sex work in Moscow, Russia. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 30: pp. 39-45 CrossRef
- Aral, S. O., St Lawrence, J. S., Dyatlov, R., Kozlov, A. (2005) Commercial sex work, drug use, and sexually transmitted infections in St. Petersburg, Russia. Social Science & Medicine 60: pp. 2181-2190
- Benotsch, E. G., Somlai, A. M., Pinkerton, S. D., Kelly, J. A., Ostrovski, D., Gore-Felton, C. (2004) Drug use and sexual risk behaviours among female Russian IDUs who exchange sex for money or drugs. International Journal of STD & AIDS 15: pp. 343-347 CrossRef
- Buckley, C., Barrett, J., Asminkin, Y. P. (2004) Reproductive and sexual health among young adults in Uzbekistan. Studies in Family Planning 35: pp. 1-14 CrossRef
- Dehne, K. L., Pokrovskiy, V., Kobyshcha, Y., Schwartlander, B. (2000) Update on the epidemics of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections in the newly independent states of the former Soviet Union. AIDS 14: pp. S75-84
- Grayman, J. H., Nhan do, T., Huong, P. T., Jenkins, R. A., Carey, J. W., West, G. R. (2005) Factors associated with HIV testing, condom use, and sexually transmitted infections among female sex workers in Nha Trang, Vietnam. AIDS & Behavior 9: pp. 41-51 CrossRef
- Kurmanova, G. (2003). Current situation in the area of sex work in Tashkent City, Republic of Uzbekistan. Report on the results of Rapid Assessment; Tashkent, November 9–15, 2003, Technical Report, Tashkent: UNAIDS Uzbekistan Office.
- Kyrychenko, P., Polonets, V. (2005) High HIV risk profile among female commercial sex workers in Vinnitsa, Ukraine. Sexually Transmitted Infections 81: pp. 187-188 CrossRef
- Morisky, D. E., Ang, A., Sneed, C. D. (2002) Validating the effects of social desirability on self-reported condom use behavior among commercial sex workers. AIDS Education and Prevention 14: pp. 351-360 CrossRef
- Nurgazieva, J. (1999) Kyrgyzstan: STD management during the syphilis outbreak. Entre Nous (Copenhagen, Denmark) 42: pp. 13
- Oostvogels, R. (2001). Assessment of female sex workers and clients in Tashkent, Republic of Uzbekistan, Technical Report, Tashkent: UNAIDS Uzbekistan Office.
- Persaud, N. E., Klaskala, W. I., Baum, M. K., Duncan, R. C. (2000) Sexually transmitted infections, drug use, and risky sex among female sex workers in Guyana. Sexually Transmitted Infections 76: pp. 318 CrossRef
- Rojanapithayakorn, W., Hanenberg, R. (1996) The 100% condom program in Thailand. AIDS 10: pp. 1-7 CrossRef
- Slaymaker, E., Zaba, B. (2003) Measurement of condom use as a risk factor for HIV infection. Reproductive Health Matters 11: pp. 174-84 CrossRef
- Thomas, R. M. (1997). Assessment of the commercial sex work scene in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, Technical Report, Tashkent: UNAIDS Uzbekistan Office.
- Todd, C. S., Khakimov, M. M., Alibayeva, G., Abdullaeva, M., Giyasova, G. M., & Saad, M. D. et al. (2006) Prevalence and correlates of human immunodeficiency virus infection among female sex workers in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 33, 496–501.
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). (2004). HIV/AIDS in Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States: Reversing the epidemic, Facts and Policy options. Technical Report, Bratislava, Slovak Republic: UNDP Office.
- UNAIDS (2005). AIDS epidemic update. Technical Report, Geneva: Joint United National Program on HIV/AIDS.
- United Nations Childrens Fund (UNICEF) (2005). Uzbekistan: Statistics. Retrieved December 6, 2005, from http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/uzbekistan statistics.html#4.
- Weir, S. S., Roddy, R. E., Zekeng, L., Ryan, K. A. (1999) Association between condom use and HIV infection: a randomised study of self reported condom use measures. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 53: pp. 417-422 CrossRef
- Yadav, G., Saskin, R., Ngugi, E., Kimani, J., Keli, F., Fonck, K. (2005) Associations of sexual risk taking among Kenyan female sex workers after enrollment in an HIV-1 prevention trial. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome 38: pp. 329-334
- Prevalence and Correlates of Condom Use and HIV Testing Among Female Sex Workers in Tashkent, Uzbekistan: Implications for HIV Transmission
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 435-442
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Commercial sex work
- Behavioral risk factors
- Female sex workers
- Condom use
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of International Health and Cross-Cultural Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, 0622, La Jolla, CA, 92093-0622, USA
- 2. Ministry of Health, Tashkent, Republic of Uzbekistan
- 3. Republic of Uzbekistan Center for HIV/AIDS Control and Prevention, Tashkent, Republic of Uzbekistan
- 4. U. S. Department of Defense Global Emerging Infections Surveillance and Response System and Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc., Silver Spring, MD, USA
- 5. Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc., Rockville, MD, USA
- 6. US Naval Medical Research Unit No. 3 (NAMRU-3), Cairo, Egypt