Sexual Compulsivity in a Sample of HIV-Positive Methamphetamine-using Gay and Bisexual Men
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Little research has been done on the relationship between sexual compulsivity and the sexual risk behaviors of methamphetamine (meth) users. This exploratory study sought to identify correlates of sexual compulsivity in a sample of 217 HIV-positive meth-using gay and bisexual men. Participants reported a mean score of 2.4 on the Sexual Compulsivity Scale (SCS) (SD=.76, range 1–4). Sexual compulsivity was positively associated with high-risk sexual behaviors (e.g., number of unprotected sex acts with anonymous partners, total number of HIV-negative or unknown serostatus partners). In multivariate analyses, higher scores on sexual compulsivity were associated with older age, meth use before or during sex, visits to sex clubs and street corners to find sex partners, lower self-efficacy for condom use, lower levels of self-esteem, higher scores on a measure of disinhibition, and a greater number of HIV-negative or unknown serostatus partners. The results suggest that more attention should be focused on sexual compulsivity and its correlates to determine how they may contribute to resistance to sexual behavior change in this high-risk population.
- Acton, G. S. (2003). Measurement of impulsivity in a hierarchical model of personality traits: Implications for substance use. Substance Use and Misuse, 38, 67–83. CrossRef
- Bancroft, J., & Vukadinovic, Z. (2004). Sexual addiction, sexual compulsivity, or what? Toward a theoretical model. Journal of Sex Research, 41, 225–234.
- Beck, A. T. (1967). Depression: Clinical, Experimental and Theoretical Aspects. New York: Harper and Row.
- Beck, A. T. (1976). Cognitive Therapy and Emotional Disorder. New York: Hoeber.
- Benotsch, E. G., Kalichman, S. C., & Kelly, J. A. (1999). Sexual compulsivity and substance use in HIV-seropositive men who have sex with men: Prevalence and predictors of high risk behaviors. Addictive Behaviors, 24, 857–868. CrossRef
- Benotsch, E. G., Kalichman, S. C., & Pinkerton, S. D. (2001). Sexual compulsivity in HIV-positive men and women: Prevalence, predictors, and consequences of high-risk behaviors. Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity, 8, 83–99. CrossRef
- Binson, D., Woods, W., Pollack, L., Paul, J., Stall, R., & Catania, J. (2001). Differential HIV risk in bathhouses and public cruising areas. American Journal of Public Health, 91, 1482–1486. CrossRef
- Bucholz, K. K., Cadoret, R., Cloninger, R. D., Dinwiddie, S. H., Hesselbrock, V. M., Nurnberger, J. I., et al. (1994). A new semi-structured psychiatric interview for use in genetic linkage studies. A report on the reliability of the SSAGA. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 55, 149–158.
- Bucholz, K. K., Hesselbrock, V. M., Shayka, J. J., Nurnberger, J. I., Schuckit, M. A., Schmidt, I., et al. (1995). Reliability of individual diagnostic criterion items for psychoactive substance dependence and the impact on diagnosis. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 56, 500–505.
- Cohen, J., & Cohen, P. (1983). Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Cooper, A., Scherer, C. R., Boies, S., & Gordon, B. (1999). Sexuality on the internet: From sexual exploration to pathological expression. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 30, 154–164. CrossRef
- Dodge, B., Reece, M., Cole, S. L., & Standfort, T. G. M. (2004). Sexual compulsivity among heterosexual college students. Journal of Sex Research, 41, 343–350. CrossRef
- Gold, S. N., & Heffner, C. L. (1998). Sexual addiction: Many conceptions, minimal data. Clinical Psychology Review, 18, 367–381. CrossRef
- Golden, M. R., Brewer, D. D., Kurth, A., Holmes, K. K., & Handsfield, H. H. (2004). United States: Importance of sex partner HIV status in HIV risk assessment among men who have sex with men. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 36, 734–742. CrossRef
- Gruenewald, T. L., Kemeny, M. E., Aziz, N., & Fahey, J. L. (2004). Acute threat to the social self: shame, social self-esteem, and cortisol activity. Psychosomatic Medicine, 66, 915–924. CrossRef
- Halkitis, P. N., Fischgrund, B. N., & Parsons, J. T. (2005). Explanations for methamphetamine use among gay and bisexual men in New York City. Substance Use and Misuse, 40, 1331–1345. CrossRef
- Halkitis, P. N., Shrem, M. T., & Martin, F. W. (2005). Sexual behavior patterns of methamphetamine-using gay and bisexual men. Substance Use and Misuse, 40, 703–719. CrossRef
- Hyde, J. S., & DeLamater, J. D. (2004). Understanding human sexuality. Boston: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- Kalichman, S. C., & Cain, D. (2004). The relationship between indicators of sexual compulsivity and high risk sexual practices among men and women receiving services from a sexually transmitted infection clinic. Journal of Sex Research, 41, 235–241.
- Kalichman, S. C., Greenberg, J., & Abel, G. G. (1997). HIV-seropositive men who engage in high risk sexual behavior: Psychological characteristics and implications for prevention. AIDS Care, 9, 441–450. CrossRef
- Kalichman, S. C., Johnson, J. R., Adair, V., Rompa, D., Multhauf, K., & Kelly, J. A. (1994). Sexual sensation seeking: Scale development and predicting AIDS-risk behavior among homosexually active men. Journal of Personality Assessment, 62, 385–397. CrossRef
- Kalichman, S. C., & Rompa, D. (1995). Sexual sensation seeking and sexual compulsivity scales: Reliability, validity, and predicting HIV risk behavior. Journal of Personality Assessment, 65, 586–601. CrossRef
- Kalichman, S. C., & Rompa, D. (2001). The sexual compulsivity scale: Further development and use with HIV-positive persons. Journal of Personality Assessment, 76, 379–395. CrossRef
- Kurtz, S. P. (2005). Post-circuit blues: motivations and consequences of crystal meth use among gay men in Miami. AIDS and Behavior, 9, 63–72. CrossRef
- Nugent, W. R., & Thomas, J. W. (1993). Validation of a clinical measure of self-esteem. Research on Social Work Practice, 3, 191–207. CrossRef
- Parsons, J. T., Bimbi, D., & Halkitis, P. N. (2001). Sexual compulsivity among gay/bisexual male escorts who advertise on the internet. Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity, 8, 101–112. CrossRef
- Parsons, J. T. and Halkitis, P. N. (2002). Sexual and drug-using practices of HIV-positive men who frequent public and commercial sex environments. AIDS Care, 14, 815–826. CrossRef
- Reback, C. J. (1997). The social construction of a gay drug: Methamphetamine use among gay and bisexual males in Los Angeles. Executive Summary. City of Los Angeles: AIDS Coordinator.
- Schilder, A. J., Lampinen, T. M., Miller, M. L., & Hogg, R. S. (2005). Crystal methamphetamine and ecstasy differ in relation to unsafe sex among young gay men. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 96, 340–343.
- Semple, S. J., Grant, I., Zians, J., & Patterson, T. L. (2005). HIV-positive methamphetamine users: Psychosocial and behavioral factors associated with sexual venues. Unpublished manuscript, University of California, San Diego.
- Semple, S. J., Patterson, T. L., & Grant, I. (2002). Motivations associated with methamphetamine use among HIV+ men who have sex with men. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 22, 149–156. CrossRef
- Semple, S. J., Patterson, T. L., & Grant, I. (2004). The context of sexual risk behavior among heterosexual methamphetamine users. Addictive Behaviors, 29, 807–810. CrossRef
- Temoshok, L., & Nannis, E. D. (1992). Tri-Service Biopsychosocial Study Protocol. The Rockville, MD: Military Medical Consortium for Applied Retroviral Research.
- van Empelen, P., Kok, G., van Kesteren, N. M., van den Borne, B., Bos, A. E., & Schaalma, H. P. (2003). Effective methods to change sex-risk among drug users: a review of psychological interventions. Social Science and Medicine, 57, 1593–1608. CrossRef
- Williams, M. (2005). Medication treatment for sexual compulsivity. Accessed from http://www.brainphysics.com/paraphilia.php on October 16, 2005.
- Zuckerman, M. (1971). Dimensions of sensation seeking. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 36, 45–52. CrossRef
- Sexual Compulsivity in a Sample of HIV-Positive Methamphetamine-using Gay and Bisexual Men
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 10, Issue 5 , pp 587-598
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Sexual compulsivity
- Gay and bisexual men
- HIV prevention
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, California, 92093-0680, USA
- 2. Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA