Generation of finite tight frames by Householder transformations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Finite tight frames are widely used for many applications. An important problem is to construct finite frames with prescribed norm for each vector in the tight frame. In this paper we provide a fast and simple algorithm for such a purpose. Our algorithm employs the Householder transformations. For a finite tight frame consisting of m vectors in ℝn or ℂn only O(nm) operations are needed. In addition, we also study the following question: Given a set of vectors in ℝn or ℂn, how many additional vectors, possibly with constraints, does one need to add in order to obtain a tight frame?
Mathematics subject classification (2000)
- J.J. Benedetto and M. Fickus, Finite normalized tight frames, Adv. Comput. Math. 18 (2003) 357–385. CrossRef
- P.G. Casazza, Modern tools for Weyl–Heisenberg (Gabor) frame theory, Adv. Image Electron Phys. 115 (2000) 1–127.
- P.G. Casazza and M. Leon, Existence and construction of finite tight frames, Preprint.
- P.G. Casazza, M. Leon and J.C. Tremain, Custom built tight frames, Preprint.
- P.G. Casazza and J. Kovačević, Equal-norm tight frames with erasures, Adv. Comput. Math. 18 (2003) 387–430. CrossRef
- R.J. Duffin and A.C. Schaeffer, A class of nonharmonic Fourier series, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 72 (1952) 341–366. CrossRef
- Y. Elder and G.D. Forney, Optimal tight frames and quantum measurement, Preprint.
- V.K. Goyal, J. Kovačević and J.A. Kelner, Quantized frame expansions with erasures, Appl. Comput. Harmon. Anal. 10 (2001) 203–233. CrossRef
- V.K. Goyal, M. Vetterli and N.T. Thao, Quantized overcomplete expansions in ℝN: analysis, synthesis, and algorithms, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory 44 (1998) 16–31. CrossRef
- K. Gröchenig, Foundation of Time-Frequency Analysis (Birkhäuser, Boston, 2001).
- A.S. Householder, The Theory of Matrices in Numerical Analysis (Blaisdell Publishing Co. Ginn and Co., New York, 1964).
- W.V. Parker and J.C. Eaves, Matrices (The Ronald Press Co., New York, 1960).
- D. Serre, Matrices. Theory and Applications, Translated from the 2001 French original, Grad. Texts in Math., Vol. 216 Springer, (New York, 2002).
- Generation of finite tight frames by Householder transformations
Advances in Computational Mathematics
Volume 24, Issue 1-4 , pp 297-309
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- tight frame
- tight frame matrix
- Householder matrix
- condition number
- Author Affiliations
- 001. Department of Mathematical Sciences, Tsinghua University, Beijing, 100084, P.R. China
- 002. Mathematics Department, Southern Polytechnic State University, Mariieta, GA, 30060, U.S.A.
- 003. School of Mathematics, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 30332, U.S.A.