An algebraic multigrid method for finite element systems on criss-cross grids
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we design and analyze an algebraic multigrid method for a condensed finite element system on criss-cross grids and then provide a convergence analysis. Criss-cross grid finite element systems represent a large class of finite element systems that can be reduced to a smaller system by first eliminating certain degrees of freedoms. The algebraic multigrid method that we construct is analogous to many other algebraic multigrid methods for more complicated problems such as unstructured grids, but, because of the specialty of our problem, we are able to provide a rigorous convergence analysis to our algebraic multigrid method.
- D.N. Arnold and J. Qin, Quadratic velocity/linear pressure stokes element, in: Advances in Computer Methods for Partial Differential Equations, Vol. VII, eds. G. Richter, R. Vichnevetsky and D. Knight (IMACS, 1992).
- I.M. Babuska, FEM-Latest Developments, Open Problems and Perspectives, Internat. Colloquium on Applications of Computer Science and Mathematics in Architecture and Civil Engineering, Weimar, Germany (26 February–1 March, 1997).
- R. Bank and J. Xu, An algorithm for coarsening unstructured meshes, Numer. Math. 73(1) (1996) 1–36. CrossRef
- J.H. Bramble, J.E. Pasciak, J. Wang and J. Xu, Convergence estimates for multigrid algorithms without regularity assumptions, Math. Comp. 57(195) (1991) 23–45. CrossRef
- A. Brandt, Multiscale scientific computation, Six year research summary (1999).
- A. Brandt, S.F. McCormick and J.W. Ruge, Algebraic multigrid (AMG) for sparse matrix equations, in: Sparsity and Its Applications, ed. D.J. Evans (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1984).
- M. Brezina, A.J. Cleary, R.D. Falgout, V.E. Henson, J.E. Jones, T.A. Manteuffel, S.F. McCormick and J.W. Ruge, Algebraic multigrid based on element interpolation (AMGe), SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 22(5) (2000) 1570–1592 (electronic). CrossRef
- F. Brezzi and M. Fortin, Mixed and Hybrid Finite Element Methods (Spinger, New York, 1991).
- T.F. Chan, J. Xu and L. Zikatanov, An agglomeration multigrid method for unstructured grids, in: 10th Internat. Conf. on Domain Decomposition Methods, Contemporary Mathematics, Vol. 218 (Birkhäuser, Boston, 1998) pp. 67–81.
- P.M. de Zeeuw, Matrix-dependent prolongations and restrictions in a black box multigrid solver, J. Comput. Appl. Math. 33 (1990) 1–27. CrossRef
- J.E. Dendy, Black box multigrid, J. Comput. Phys. 48 (1982) 366–386. CrossRef
- Y.R. Efendiev, T.Y. Hou and Z.-H. Wu, Convergence of a nonconforming multiscale finite element method, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 37(3) (2000) 888–910 (electronic). CrossRef
- J. Mandel, M. Brezina and P. Vanĕk, Energy optimization of algebraic multigrid bases, Computing 62(3) (1999) 205–228. CrossRef
- J. Ruge and K. Stüben, Algebraic multigrid, in: Multigrid Methods, ed. S. McCormick (SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 1987).
- K. Stüben, A review of algebraic multigrid, GMD Report 69 (1999).
- P. Vanek, J. Mandel and M. Brezina, Algebraic multigrid by smoothed aggregation for second and fourth order elliptic problems, Computing 56(3) (1996) 179–196. CrossRef
- P. Vanek, M. Brezina and J. Mandel, Convergence of algebraic multigrid based on smoothed aggregation, Numer. Math. 88(3) (2001) 559–579. CrossRef
- W.L. Wan, T.F. Chan and B. Smith, An energy-minimizing interpolation for robust multigrid methods, SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 21(3) (2000) 559–579.
- J. Xu, Iterative methods by space decomposition and subspace correction, SIAM Rev. 34 (1992) 581–613. CrossRef
- J. Xu and L. Zikatanov, The method of alternating projections and the method of subspace corrections on Hilbert space, J. Amer. Math. Soc. 15 (2002) 1429–1446. CrossRef
- An algebraic multigrid method for finite element systems on criss-cross grids
Advances in Computational Mathematics
Volume 25, Issue 1-3 , pp 287-304
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- algebraic multigrid method
- finite element
- criss-cross grids
- convergence analysis
- Author Affiliations
- 001. Institute for Computational and Applied Mathematics of Xiangtan University, China
- 002. Department of Mathematics and Center for Computational Mathematics and Application of Pennsylvania State University, USA
- 003. Institute of Computational Mathematics and Scientific/Engineering Computing, Academy of Mathematics and System Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China