The Geometry of 2 × 2 Systems of Conservation Laws
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider one typical two-parameter family of quadratic systems of 2 × 2 conservation laws, and study the geometry of the behaviour of the possible solutions of the Riemann problem near an umbilic point, following the geometric approach presented by Isaacson, Marchesin, Palmeira, Plohr, in A global formalism for nonlinear waves in conservation laws, Commun. Math. Phys. (1992). The corresponding phase portraits for the rarefaction curves, shock curves and composite curves are discussed.
- Arnold, V.: Singularities of Differentiable Maps, Vol. I, Birkhäuser, 1985.
- Basto-Gonçalves, J. and Reis, H.: The Geometry of Quadratic 2 × 2 Systems of Conservation Laws, preprint 339, Université de Bourgogne, 2003.
- Bruce, J., Tari, F. (1995) On binary differential equations. Nonlinearity 8: pp. 255-271 CrossRef
- Bruce, J., Tari, F. (1997) Generic 1-parameter families of binary differencial equations of Morse type. Discrete Contin. Dyn. Syst. 3: pp. 79-90
- Chen, G.-Q., Kan, P. T. (2001) Hyperbolic conservation laws with umbilic degeneracy. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal. 160: pp. 325-354 CrossRef
- Davydov, A.: Qualitative Theory of Control Systems, AMS Transl. Math. Monogr. 14, 1994.
- Eschenazi, C., Palmeira, C. (1998) Local topology of elementary waves for systems of two conservation laws. Mat. Contemp. 15: pp. 127-144
- Eschenazi, C. and Palmeira, C.: The structure of composite rarefaction-shock foliations for quadratic systems of conservation laws, Mat. Contemp. 22 (2002).
- Hirsch, M. (1976) Differential Topology. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York
- Holden, H. (1987) On the Riemann problem for a prototype of a mixed type conservation law. Commun. Pure Appl. Math. XL: pp. 229-264 CrossRef
- Isaacson, E., Marchesin, D., Palmeira, C., Plohr, B. (1992) A global formalism for nonlinear waves in conservation laws. Commun. Math. Phys. 146: pp. 505-552 CrossRef
- Isaacson, E., Marchesin, D., Plohr, B. (1990) Transitional waves for conservation laws. SIAM J. Math. Anal. 21: pp. 837-866 CrossRef
- Marchesin, D., Palmeira, C. (1994) Topology of elementary waves for mixed-type systems of conservation laws. J. Dyn. Differ. Eq. 6: pp. 427-446 CrossRef
- Palmeira, C.: Line fields defined by eigenspaces of derivatives of maps from the plane to itself, Proceedings of the IVth Conference of Differential Geometry, Santiago de Compostela (Spain), 1988.
- Poston, T. and Stewart, I.: Catastrophe Theory and its Applications, Pitman, 1978.
- Schaeffer, D., Shearer, M. (1987) The classification of 2 × 2 systems of non-strictly hyperbolic conservation laws, with application to oil recovery. Commun. Pure Appl. Math. XL: pp. 141-178 CrossRef
- Shearer, M., Shaeffer, D., Marchesin, D., Paes-Leme, P. (1987) Solution of the Riemann problem for a prototype 2 × 2 system of non-strictly hyperbolic conservation laws. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal. 97: pp. 299-320 CrossRef
- Smoller, J. (1983) Shock Waves and Reaction-Diffusion Equations. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York
- The Geometry of 2 × 2 Systems of Conservation Laws
Acta Applicandae Mathematica
Volume 88, Issue 3 , pp 269-329
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors