December 2012, Volume 40, Issue 12, pp 2512-2518,
Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Date: 04 Oct 2012
The Virginia Tech Response
This comment refers to the article available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10439-012-0659-4.
- Beckwith, JG, Greenwald, RM, Chu, JJ (2012) Measuring head kinematics in football: correlation between the head impact telemetry system and hybrid III headform. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 40: pp. 237-248 CrossRef
- Broglio, SP, Sosnoff, JJ, Shin, S, He, X, Alcaraz, C, Zimmerman, J (2009) Head impacts during high school football: a biomechanical assessment. J. Athl. Train. 44: pp. 342-349 CrossRef
- Broglio, SP, Surma, T, Ashton-Miller, JA (2012) High school and collegiate football athlete concussions: a biomechanical review. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 40: pp. 37-46 CrossRef
- Collins, M., M. R. Lovell, G. L. Iverson, T. Ide, and J. Maroon. Examining concussion rates and return to play in high school football players wearing newer helmet technology: a three-year prospective cohort study. Neurosurgery 58(2):275–286; discussion 275–286, 2006.
- Crisco, JJ, Chu, JJ, Greenwald, RM (2004) An algorithm for estimating acceleration magnitude and impact location using multiple nonorthogonal single-axis accelerometers. J. Biomech. Eng. 126: pp. 849-854 CrossRef
- Crisco, JJ, Wilcox, BJ, Beckwith, JG, Chu, JJ, Duhaime, AC, Rowson, S, Duma, SM, Maerlender, AC, McAllister, TW, Greenwald, RM (2011) Head impact exposure in collegiate football players. J. Biomech. 44: pp. 2673-2678 CrossRef
- Crisco, JJ, Wilcox, BJ, Machan, JT, McAllister, TW, Duhaime, AC, Duma, SM, Rowson, S, Beckwith, JG, Chu, JJ, Greenwald, RM (2012) Magnitude of head impact exposures in individual collegiate football players. J. Appl. Biomech. 28: pp. 174-183
- Daniel, RW, Rowson, S, Duma, SM (2012) Head impact exposure in youth football. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 40: pp. 976-981 CrossRef
- Duma, SM, Manoogian, SJ, Bussone, WR, Brolinson, PG, Goforth, MW, Donnenwerth, JJ, Greenwald, RM, Chu, JJ, Crisco, JJ (2005) Analysis of real-time head accelerations in collegiate football players. Clin. J. Sport Med. 15: pp. 3-8 CrossRef
- Duma, SM, Rowson, S (2011) Past, present, and future of head injury research. Exerc. Sport Sci. Rev. 39: pp. 2-3 CrossRef
- Funk, JR, Rowson, S, Daniel, RW, Duma, SM (2012) Validation of concussion risk curves for collegiate football players derived from hits data. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 40: pp. 79-89 CrossRef
- Greenwald, R. M., J. T. Gwin, J. J. Chu, and J. J. Crisco. Head impact severity measures for evaluating mild traumatic brain injury risk exposure. Neurosurgery 62(4):789–798; discussion 98, 2008.
- Guskiewicz, KM, Mihalik, JP (2011) Biomechanics of sport concussion: quest for the elusive injury threshold. Exerc. Sport Sci. Rev. 39: pp. 4-11 CrossRef
- Guskiewicz, KM, Mihalik, JP, Shankar, V, Marshall, SW, Crowell, DH, Oliaro, SM, Ciocca, MF, Hooker, DN (2007) Measurement of head impacts in collegiate football players: relationship between head impact biomechanics and acute clinical outcome after concussion. Neurosurgery 61: pp. 1244-1253 CrossRef
- Kimpara, H, Iwamoto, M (2012) Mild traumatic brain injury predictors based on angular accelerations during impacts. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 40: pp. 114-126 CrossRef
- King, A. I., K. H. Yang, L. Zhang, W. Hardy, and D. C. Viano. Is head injury caused by linear or angular acceleration? Proceedings of the International Research Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact (IRCOBI). 2003.
- Mihalik, J. P., D. R. Bell, S. W. Marshall, and K. M. Guskiewicz. Measurement of head impacts in collegiate football players: an investigation of positional and event-type differences. Neurosurgery 61(6):1229–1235; discussion 35, 2007.
- Newman, J. A., M. C. Beusenberg, E. Fournier, N. Shewchenko, C. Withnall, A. I. King, K. Yang, L. Zhang, J. McElhaney, L. Thibault, and G. McGinnes. A new biomechanical assessment of mild traimatic brain injury. Part 1: Methodology. Proceedings of the International Research Conference on the Biomechanics of Impacts (IRCOBI), 1999, pp. 17–36.
- Pellman, E. J., D. C. Viano, A. M. Tucker, I. R. Casson, and J. F. Waeckerle. Concussion in professional football: Reconstruction of game impacts and injuries. Neurosurgery 53(4):799–812; discussion 812–814, 2003.
- Rowson, S, Beckwith, JG, Chu, JJ, Leonard, DS, Greenwald, RM, Duma, SM (2011) A six degree of freedom head acceleration measurement device for use in football. J. Appl. Biomech. 27: pp. 8-14
- Rowson, S, Brolinson, G, Goforth, M, Dietter, D, Duma, SM (2009) Linear and angular head acceleration measurements in collegiate football. J. Biomech. Eng. 131: pp. 061016 CrossRef
- Rowson, S, Duma, SM (2011) Development of the star evaluation system for football helmets: integrating player head impact exposure and risk of concussion. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 39: pp. 2130-2140 CrossRef
- Rowson, S, Duma, SM, Beckwith, JG, Chu, JJ, Greenwald, RM, Crisco, JJ, Brolinson, PG, Duhaime, AC, McAllister, TW, Maerlender, AC (2012) Rotational head kinematics in football impacts: an injury risk function for concussion. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 40: pp. 1-13 CrossRef
- Rowson, S., and S. M. Duma. National impact database—adult football helmet ratings—May 2012. http://www.sbes.vt.edu/nid.php. 2012.
- Schnebel, B., J. T. Gwin, S. Anderson, and R. Gatlin. In vivo study of head impacts in football: a comparison of national collegiate athletic association division I versus high school impacts. Neurosurgery 60(3):490–5; discussion 5–6, 2007.
- Takhounts, E. G., S. A. Ridella, V. Hasija, R. E. Tannous, J. Q. Campbell, D. Malone, K. Danelson, J. Stitzel, S. Rowson, and S. Duma. Investigation of traumatic brain injuries using the next generation of simulated injury monitor (simon) finite element head model. Stapp Car Crash J. 52:1–31, 2008.
- Takhounts, E. G., V. Hasija, S. A. Ridella, S. Rowson, and S. M. Duma. Kinematic rotational brain injury criterion (bric). Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 11-0263-0, 2011.
- Viano, DC, Withnall, C, Halstead, D (2012) Impact performance of modern football helmets. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 40: pp. 160-174 CrossRef
- Weaver, AA, Danelson, KA, Stitzel, JD (2012) Modeling brain injury response for rotational velocities of varying directions and magnitudes. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 40: pp. 2005-2018 CrossRef
- Zhang, L, Yang, KH, King, AI (2004) A proposed injury threshold for mild traumatic brain injury. J. Biomech. Eng. 126: pp. 226-236 CrossRef
- The Virginia Tech Response
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Annals of Biomedical Engineering
Volume 40, Issue 12 , pp 2512-2518
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors