Computational Investigation of the Delamination of Polymer Coatings During Stent Deployment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recent advances in angioplasty have involved the application of polymer coatings to stent surfaces for purposes of drug delivery. Given the high levels of deformation developed in the plastic hinge of a stent during deployment, the achievement of an intact bond between the coating and the stent presents a significant mechanical challenge. Problems with coating delamination have been reported in recent experimental studies. In this paper, a cohesive zone model of the stent–coating interface is implemented in order to investigate coating debonding during stent deployment. Simulations reveal that coatings debond from the stent surface in tensile regions of the plastic hinge during deployment. The critical parameters governing the initiation of delamination include the coating thickness and stiffness, the interface strength between the coating and stent surface, and the curvature of the plastic hinge. The coating is also computed to debond from the stent surface in compressive regions of the plastic hinge by a buckling mechanism. Computed patterns of coating delamination correlate very closely with experimental images. This study provides insight into the critical factors governing coating delamination during stent deployment and offers a predictive framework that can be used to improve the design of coated stents.
- Abdul-Baqi, A., and E. Van der Giessen. Indentation-induced interface delamination of a strong film on a ductile substrate. Thin Solid Films 381:143–154, 2001. CrossRef
- Abdul-Baqi, A., and E. Van der Giessen. Numerical analysis of indentation-induced cracking of brittle coatings on ductile substrates. Int. J. Solids Struct. 39:1427–1442, 2002. CrossRef
- AdvanSource Biomaterials Corporation. Fact sheet: ChronoFlex® AR: Biodurable Medical Grade Polyurethane. AdvanSource Biomaterials Corporation, 2008.
- Antony, P., J. Puskas, and M. Kontopoulou. Investigation of the rheological and mechanical properties of a polystyrene-polyisobutylene-polystyrene triblock copolymer and its blends with polystyrene. Polym. Eng. Sci. 43:243–253, 2003. CrossRef
- Donnelly, E., M. Bruzzi, T. Connolley, and P. McHugh. Finite element comparison of performance related characteristics of balloon expandable stents. Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng. 10:103–110, 2007.
- Hale, P., S. Turgeon, P. Horny, F. Lewis, N. Brack, G. Van Riessen, P. Pigram, and D. Mantovani. X-ray photoelectron emission microscopy and time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry analysis of ultrathin fluoropolymer coatings for stent applications. Langmuir 24:7897–7905, 2008. CrossRef
- Hanefeld, P., U. Westedt, R. Wombacher, T. Kissel, A. Schaper, J. Wendorff, and A. Greiner. Coating of poly(p-xylylene) by PLA-PEO-PLA triblock copolymers with excellent polymer–polymer adhesion for stent applications. Biomacromolecules 7:2086–2090, 2006. CrossRef
- Hattiangadi, A., and T. Siegmund. An analysis of the delamination of an environmental protection coating under cyclic heat loads. Eur. J. Mech. A Solids 24:361–370, 2005. CrossRef
- Hoffmann, R., G. Mintz, P. Haager, T. Bozoglu, E. Grube, M. Gross, C. Beythien, H. Mudra, J. Vom Dahl, and P. Hanrath. Relation of stent design and stent surface material to subsequent in-stent intimal hyperplasia in coronary arteries determined by intravascular ultrasound. Am. J. Cardiol. 89:1360–1364, 2002. CrossRef
- Holmes, D. R. State of the art in coronary intervention. Am. J. Cardiol. 91:50–53, 2003. CrossRef
- Kim, H.-J., M.-W. Moon, D.-I. Kim, K.-R. Lee, and K. H. Oh. Observation of the failure mechanism for diamond-like carbon film on stainless steel under tensile loading. Scr. Mater. 57:1016–1019, 2007. CrossRef
- Kim, H.-J., M.-W. Moon, K.-R. Lee, H.-K. Seok, S.-H. Han, J.-W. Ryu, K.-M. Shin, and K. H. Oh. Mechanical stability of the diamond-like carbon film on nitinol vascular stents under cyclic loading. Thin Solid Films 517:1146–1150, 2008. CrossRef
- Kollum, M., A. Farb, R. Schreiber, K. Terfera, A. Arab, A. Geist, J. Haberstroh, S. Wnendt, R. Virmani, and C. Hehrlein. Particle debris from a nanoporous stent coating obscures potential antiproliferative effects of tacrolimus-eluting stents in a porcine model of restenosis. Catheter. Cardiovasc. Interv. 64:85–90, 2005. CrossRef
- Levy, Y., D. Mandler, J. Weinberger, and A. J. Domb. Evaluation of drug-eluting stents’ coating durability—clinical and regulatory implications. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. B: Appl. Biomater. 2009 (in press).
- Maguire, P., J. McLaughlin, T. Okpalugo, P. Lemoine, P. Papakonstantinou, E. McAdams, M. Needham, A. Ogwu, M. Ball, and G. Abbas. Mechanical stability, corrosion performance and bioresponse of amorphous diamond-like carbon for medical stents and guidewires. Diamond Relat. Mater. 14:1277–1288, 2005. CrossRef
- McGarry, J., and P. McHugh. Modelling of in vitro chondrocyte detachment. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 56:1554–1565, 2008. CrossRef
- McGarry, J. P., B. P. Murphy, and P. E. McHugh. Computational mechanics modelling of cell-substrate contact during cyclic substrate deformation. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 53:2597–2637, 2005. CrossRef
- McGarry, J. P., B. P. O’Donnell, P. E. McHugh, and J. G. McGarry. Analysis of the mechanical performance of a cardiovascular stent design based on micromechanical modelling. Comput. Mater. Sci. 31:421–438, 2004.
- McGarry, J. P., B. P. O’Donnell, P. E. McHugh, E. O’Cearbhaill, and R. M. McMeeking. Computational examination of the effect of material inhomogeneity on the necking of stent struts under tensile loading. J. Appl. Mech. 74:978–989, 2007. CrossRef
- Ormiston, J., M. Webster, P. Ruygrok, J. Stewart, D. Scott, E. Currie, M. Panther, and B. Shaw. Polymer integrity after cypher and taxus stent implantation: a scanning electron microscope study. 16th Annual Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT) Conference, Washington, 2004.
- Otsuka, Y., N. A. Chronos, R. P. Apkarian, and K. A. Robinson. Scanning electron microscopic analysis of defects in polymer coatings of three commercially available stents: comparison of BiodivYsio, Taxus and Cypher stents. J. Invasive Cardiol. 19:71–76, 2007.
- Popma, J. J. SCAI Interventional Cardiology Fellows Course. The Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Las Vegas, 2007.
- Rahulkumar, P., A. Jagota, S. Bennison, and S. Saigal. Cohesive element modeling of viscoelastic fracture: application to peel testing of polymers. Int. J. Solids Struct. 37:1873–1897, 2000. CrossRef
- Regar, E., G. Sianos, and P. W. Serruys. Stent development and local drug delivery. Br. Med. Bull. 59:227–248, 2001. CrossRef
- Trigwell, S., S. De, R. Sharma, M. Mazumder, and J. Mehta. Structural evaluation of radially expandable cardiovascular stents encased in a polyurethane film. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. B 76:241, 2006.
- Wieneke, H., T. Sawitowski, S. Wnendt, A. Fischer, O. Dirsch, I. Karoussos, and R. Erbel. Stent coating: a new approach in interventional cardiology. Herz 27:518–526, 2002. CrossRef
- Xia, S. M., Y. F. Gao, A. F. Bower, L. C. Lev, and Y.-T. Cheng. Delamination mechanism maps for a strong elastic coating on an elastic-plastic substrate subjected to contact loading. Int. J. Solids Struct. 44:3685–3699, 2007. CrossRef
- Xu, X., and A. Needleman. Void nucleation by inclusion debonding in a crystal matrix. Model. Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. 1:111–132, 1993. CrossRef
- Yan, F., K. Gross, G. Simon, and C. Berndt. Peel-strength behavior of bilayer thermal-sprayed polymer coatings. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 88:214–226, 2003. CrossRef
- Yuan, H., and J. Chen. Computational analysis of thin coating layer failure using a cohesive model and gradient plasticity. Eng. Fract. Mech. 70:1929–1942, 2003. CrossRef
- Yung, L., and S. Cooper. Neutrophil adhesion on phosphorylcholine-containing polyurethanes. Biomaterials 19:31–40, 1998. CrossRef
- Computational Investigation of the Delamination of Polymer Coatings During Stent Deployment
Annals of Biomedical Engineering
Volume 38, Issue 7 , pp 2263-2273
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Polymer coating
- Stent deployment
- Cohesive zone
- Finite element
- Industry Sectors