Evaluation of Cardiac Monitoring Using Fiber Optic Plethysmography
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A fiber optic plethysmograph (FOP) has been redesigned and used to monitor cardiac activity in real time during apnoea. The device was tested using four healthy subjects aged between 23 and 31, and it is concluded that the device performs reliably. Advanced algorithms have been developed and implemented to perform the cardiac signal extraction. A strong correlation is noted between the signals derived using the FOP and the respiratory inductive plethysmograph (RIP) when the latter has also been applied to monitor cardiac activity. The approach developed for interpreting thoracocardiograms (TCGs) and abdominocardiograms (ACGs) derived from the RIP is therefore directly applicable to the interpretation of the corresponding FOP signals. The prospect of using the FOP system for real-time gating in a magnetic resonance (MR) scanner environment is discussed.
- Augousti, A. T., and A. Raza. The development of a fibre optic respiratory plethysmograph. In: Sensors VI: Technology, Systems and Applications. Bristol: Institute of Physics Publishing, 1993, 401–406.
- Babchenko, A., B. Khanoch, Y. Shomer, and M. Nitzan. Fibre optic sensor for the measurement of respiratory chest circumference changes. J. Biomed. Opt. 4:224–229, 1999. CrossRef
- Babchenko, A., B. Khanoch, Y. Shomer, and M. Nitzan. A fibre optic sensor for the measurement of breathing effort. SPIE Proc. 2631:64–71, 1999. CrossRef
- Bazett, H. C. An analysis of the time relation of electrocardiograms. Heart 7:353–370, 1920.
- Bloch, K. E., S. Jugoon, and M. A. Sackner. Thoracocardiography: Non-invasive monitoring of left ventricular filling. J. Crit. Care 14:177–185, 1999. CrossRef
- Bloch, K. E., S. Jugoon, H. De Socarraz, K. E. Manning, and M. A. Sackner. Thoracocardiography: Non-invasive monitoring of left ventricular stroke volume. J. Crit. Care 13:146–157, 1998. CrossRef
- Jordan, C., K. Henke, A. Stone, L. Brandwayn, A. Belsito, and M. Sackner. Measurement of systolic time intervals during exercise using inductive plethysmography. Int. J. Clin. Monit. Comput. 1:137–146, 1984. CrossRef
- Raza, A., and A. T. Augousti. Further development of a fibre optic respiratory plethysmograph. In: Proceedings of Applied Optics and OptoElectronic Conference, UK pp. 271–273, 1994.
- Raza, A., A. T. Augousti, and M. Graves. Optical instrumentation for respiration measurement in magnetic resonance scanners. In: Proceedings of 7th IEE Progress in Fibre Optic Sensors and Their Applications. pp. 15/1–15/5, 1995.
- Sanchez-Ortiz, G. I., and P. Burger. A Novel Gating Technique for Cardiac NMR Imaging using Heartbeat Time Intervals Forecast. International Workshop on Nonlinear Dynamics, Fractality and Self Organization of Complex Systems, p. D7, Wuerzburg, Germany, 1994.
- Evaluation of Cardiac Monitoring Using Fiber Optic Plethysmography
Annals of Biomedical Engineering
Volume 34, Issue 3 , pp 416-425
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Fiber optics
- Cardiac monitoring
- Signal processing
- Industry Sectors