Lymphovascular Invasion Enhances the Prediction of Non-Sentinel Node Metastases in Breast Cancer Patients With Positive Sentinel Nodes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background:Fifty percent of patients with sentinel lymph node (SLN) metastases have no metastatic disease in non-SLNs on axillary lymph node dissection (ALND). The goal of this study is to determine which patients have metastatic disease limited to the SLN, and, therefore, may not require completion ALND.
Methods:Of the first 1000 patients undergoing SLN biopsy at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, using a combined blue dye and isotope technique, 231 (26%) had positive SLN. Of these, 206 underwent completion ALND. They are the study group for this report.
Results:The likelihood of non-SLN metastasis was inversely related to three clinicopathologic variables: tumor size ≤ 1.0 cm; absence of lymphovascular invasion (LVI); and SLN micrometastases (≤ 2 mm). None of 24 patients with all three predictive factors had non-SLN metastases, whereas 58% of patients with none of the factors had disease in the non-SLN.
Conclusion:Patients with small breast cancers, no LVI, and SLN micrometastases have a low risk of non-SLN metastases, and may not require completion ALND.
- Krag DN, Weaver DL, Alex JC, Fairbank JT. Surgical resection and radiolocalization of the sentinel lymph node in breast cancer using a gamma probe. Surg Oncol 1993; 2: 335–40. CrossRef
- Veronesi U, Paganelli G, Galimberti V, et al Sentinel node biopsy to avoid axillary dissection in breast cancer with clinically negative lymph-nodes. Lancet 1997; 349: 1864–7. CrossRef
- Pijpers R, Hoekstra OS, Collet GJ, et al Impact of lymphoscintigraphy on sentinel node identification with technetium-99m-colloidal albumin in breast cancer. J Nucl Med 1997; 38: 366–8.
- Roumen RMH, Valkenburg JGM, Geuskens LM. Lymphoscintigraphy and feasibility of sentinel node biopsy in 83 patients with primary breast cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol 1997; 23: 495–502.
- Galimberti V, Zurrida S, Zucali P, Luini A. Can sentinel node biopsy avoid axillary dissection in clinically node-negative breast cancer patients? The Breast 1998; 7: 8–10.
- Borgstein PJ, Pijpers R, Comans EF, van Diest PJ, Boom RP, Meijer S. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer: guidelines and pitfalls of lymphoscintigraphy and gamma probe detection. J Am Coll Surg 1998; 186: 275–83. CrossRef
- Krag DN, Ashikaga T, Harlow SP, Weaver DL. Development of sentinel node targeting technique in breast cancer patients. Breast Journal 1998; 4: 67–74.
- Offodile R, Hoh C, Barsky SH, et.al. Minimally invasive breast cancer staging using lymphatic mapping with radiolabeled dextran. Cancer 1998; 82: 1704–8.
- Krag D, Weaver D, Ashikaga T, et al. The sentinel node in breast cancer—a multicenter validation study. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 941–6. CrossRef
- Crossin JA, Johnson AC, Stewart PB, Turner WW. Gamma-probe-guided resection of the sentinel lymph node in breast cancer. Am Surg 1998; 64: 666–9.
- Rubio IT, Kogourian S, Cowan C, Krag DN, Colvert M, Klimberg S. Sentinel lymph node biopsy for staging breast cancer. Am J Surg 1998; 176: 532–7.
- Snider H, Dowlatshahi K, Fan M, Bridger WM, Rayudu G, Oleske D. Sentinel node biopsy in the staging of breast cancer. Am J Surg 1998; 176: 305–10.
- Winchester DJ, Sener SF, Winchester DP, et al Sentinel lymphadenectomy for breast cancer: experience with 180 consecutive patients: efficacy of filtered technetium 99m sulphur colloid with overnight migration time. J Am Coll Surg 1999; 188: 597–603.
- Feldman SM, Krag DN, McNally RK, Moor BB, Weaver DL, Klein P. Limitation in gamma probe localization of the sentinel node in breast cancer patients with large excisional biopsy. J Am Coll Surg 1999; 188: 248–54.
- Moffat FL, Gulec SA, Sittler SY, et al Unfiltered sulfur colloid and sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer: technical and kinetic considerations. Ann Surg Oncol 1999; 6: 746–55.
- Veronesi U, Paganelli G, Viale G, et al Sentinel lymph node biopsy and axillary dissection in breast cancer: results in a large series. J Natl Cancer Inst 1999; 91: 368–73. CrossRef
- Miner TJ, Shriver CD, Jaques DP, Maniscalco-Theberge ME, Krag DN. Sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer: the role of previous biopsy on patient eligibility. Am Surg 1999; 65: 493–9.
- Giuliano AE, Kirgan DM, Guenther JM, Morton DL. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymphadenectomy for breast cancer. Ann Surg 1994; 220: 391–401.
- Giuliano AE, Jones RC, Brennan M, Statman R. Sentinel lymphadenectomy in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 2345–50.
- Guenther JM, Krishnamoorthy M, Tan LR. Sentinel lymphadenectomy for breast cancer in a community managed care setting. Cancer J Sci Am 1997; 3: 336–40.
- Flett MM, Going JJ, Stanton PD, Cooke TG. Sentinel node localization in patients with breast cancer. Br J Surg 1998; 85: 991–3.
- Kern KA. Sentinel lymph node mapping in breast cancer using subareolar injection of blue dye. J Am Coll Surg 1999; 189: 539–45.
- Morgan A, Howisey RL, Aldape HC, et al Initial experience in a community hospital with sentinel lymph node mapping and biopsy for evaluation of axillary lymph node status in palpable invasive breast cancer. J Surg Oncol 1999; 72: 24–31.
- Morrow M, Rademaker AW, Bethke KP, et al Learning sentinel node biopsy: results of a prospective randomized trial of two techniques. Surgery 1999; 126: 714–22.
- Albertini JJ, Lyman GH, Cox C, et al Lymphatic mapping and sentinel node biopsy in the patient with breast cancer. JAMA 1996; 276: 1818–22. CrossRef
- Borgstein PJ, Meijer S, Pijpers R. Intradermal blue dye to identify sentinel lymphnode in breast cancer. Lancet 1997; 349: 1668–9.
- O’Hea BJ, Hill ADK, El-Shirbiny A, et al Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer: initial experience at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. J Am Coll Surg 1998; 186: 423–7.
- Barnwell JM, Arredondo MA, Kollmorgen D, et al Sentinel node biopsy in breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 1998; 5: 126–30.
- Bass SS, Cox CE, KuNN, Berman C, Reintgen DS. The role of sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer. J Am Coll Surg 1999; 189: 183–94.
- Burak WE, Walker MJ, Yee LD, et al. Routine preoperative lymphoscintigraphy is not necessary prior to sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer. Am J Surg 1999; 177: 445–9.
- Nwariaku FE, Euhus DM, Beitsch PD, et al Sentinel lymph node biopsy, an alternative to elective axillary dissection for breast cancer. Am J Surg 1998; 176: 529–31.
- Jaderborg JM, Harrison PB, Kiser JL, Maynard SL. The feasibility and accuracy of sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast carcinoma. Am Surg 1999; 65: 699–705.
- Turner RR, Ollila DW, Krasne DL, Giuliano AE. Histologic validation of the sentinel lymph node hypothesis for breast carcinoma. Ann Surg 1997; 226: 271–8. CrossRef
- Hill ADK, Tran KN, Akhurst T, et al Lessons learned from 500 cases of lymphatic mapping for breast cancer. Ann Surg 1999; 229: 528–35.
- Turner RR, Ollila DW, Stern S, Giuliano AE. Optimal histopathologic examination of the sentinel lymph node for breast carcinoma staging. Am J Surg Path 1999; 23: 263–7.
- Chu KU, Turner RR, Hansen NM, Brennan MB, Bilchik A, Giuliano AE. Do all patients with sentinel node metastasis from breast carcinoma need complete axillary node dissection? Ann Surg 1999; 229: 536–41.
- Reynolds C, Mick R, Donohue JH, et al Sentinel lymph node biopsy with metastasis: can axillary dissection be avoided in some patients with breast cancer? J Clin Oncol 1999; 17: 1720–6.
- Chu KU, Turner RR, Hansen NM, Brennan MB, Giuliano AE. Sentinel node metastasis in patients with breast carcinoma accurately predicts immunohistochemically detectable nonsentinel node metastasis. Ann Surg Oncol 1999; 6: 756–61.
- Lymphovascular Invasion Enhances the Prediction of Non-Sentinel Node Metastases in Breast Cancer Patients With Positive Sentinel Nodes
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 145-149
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Lymph node metastasis
- Sentinel node
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Breast Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- 2. The Breast Service, Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- 3. The Breast Service, Department of Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- 4. The Breast Service, Dept. of Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave., New York, NY, 10021