Appendiceal mucocele and peritoneal inclusion cyst mimicking right adnexal masses: a diagnostic challenge in gynecologic practice
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mucocele of the appendix (MA) is an uncommon disease. Preoperative differential diagnosis of MA and a peritoneal inclusion cyst (PIC) from gynecologic diseases is still a challenge. We herein report a very rare case with MA and PIC. As far as we know, this is the first report of a case having MA and PIC found simultaneously at surgery. A 31-year-old woman complained of lower abdominal pain and high fever. Based on her symptoms and laboratory tests, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) was considered to be the most probable diagnosis. She underwent antibiotics therapy and her conditions subsided. However, ascites reappeared in a month, and ultrasound and MRI demonstrated a right ovarian cyst and a suspected right hydrosalpinx. Laparotomy revealed large PIC and MA with normal bilateral adnexa. Patients with an adnexal mass or symptoms suggesting PID should be examined carefully considering such conditions in a daily gynecologic practice.
- Lozano AG, Tarrago AV, Carcia CC, et al. Mucocele of the appendix: presentation of 31 cases. CIR ESP. 2010;87:108–12. CrossRef
- Dixit A, Robertson JH, Mudan SS, et al. Appendical mucocele and pseudomyxoma peritonei. World J Gastroenterol. 2007;13:2381–4.
- Moyle PL, Kataoka MY, Nakai A, et al. Nonovarian cystic lesions of the pelvis. Ragiographics. 2010;30:921–38. CrossRef
- Zagrodnik DF, Rose DM. Mucinous cystadenoma of the appendix: diagnosis, surgical management, and follow-up. Curr Surg. 2003;60:341–3. CrossRef
- Gortcheo G, Tomov S, Dimitrov D, et al. Appendical mucocele presenting as a right adnexal mass: a case report. Obstet Gynecol Int. 2010;2010:1–3. CrossRef
- Lakatos PL, Gyori G, Halasz J, et al. Mucocele of the appendix: an unusual cause of lower abdominal pain in a patient with ulcerative colitis. A case report and review of literature. World J Gastroenterol. 2005;11:457–9.
- Balci O, Ozdemir S, Mahmoud AS. Appendical mucocele mimicking a cystic right adnexal mass. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2009;48:412–4. CrossRef
- Bevan KE, Mohamed F, Moran BJ. Pseudomyxoma peritonei. World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2010;2:44–50. CrossRef
- Plaut A. Multiple peritoneal cysts and their histogenesis. Arch Pathol. 1928;5:754–6.
- O’Connor DB, Beddy D, Aremu MA. Benign cystic mesothelioma of the appendix presenting in a woman: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2010;4:394. CrossRef
- Kalu E, Croucher C. Appendiceal mucocele: a rear differential diagnosis of cystic right adnexal mass. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2005;271:86–8. CrossRef
- Bartlett C, Manoharan M, Jackson A. Mucocele of the appendix-a diagnostic dilemma: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2007;1:183. CrossRef
- Appendiceal mucocele and peritoneal inclusion cyst mimicking right adnexal masses: a diagnostic challenge in gynecologic practice
Journal of Medical Ultrasonics
Volume 40, Issue 1 , pp 51-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Peritoneal inclusion cyst
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Iwate Medical University School of Medicine, 19-1 Uchimaru, Morioka, Iwate, 020-8505, Japan
- 2. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oohunato Iwate Prefectural Hospital, Ofunato, Japan